Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent rise in Laois?

Options
  • 28-06-2014 2:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭

Just been having a look on Daft.ie recently and it appears to me that rents have gone up in Laois, especially Portlaoise. Some properties have gone up by 50, some by 100. I was looking over a year ago and the prices then were definitely about a 100 euro less.

Does anyone else reckon this is a knock on effect from the housing problem in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

Was Laois the only county to not have increases in rental/purchase prices for housing recently? It could just be a case of catching up with the rest of the counties around them*

*this is not Laois bashing BTW as i originally hail from there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Was Laois the only county to not have increases in rental/purchase prices for housing recently? It could just be a case of catching up with the rest of the counties around them*

*this is not Laois bashing BTW as i originally hail from there.

Possibly. 100 quid in some cases is a bit high. They might justify it in that the rest of the country has seen increases but I reckon there's a lot of properties, for sale and rent in Laois, more than able to meet demand and just because there's a bubble in Dublin doesn't justify increases here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

The rent allowance limit having been lowered last year along with the rise in rent prices is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I had an interesting conversation with someone invlolved in residential letting/ property management in Portlaoise a few months ago; to my complete surprise he told me that he couldn't get enough good quality properties to let on his books and that anything he had was shifting within one week of advertisement. There appears to be a healthy demand in the rental sector in the town and rents are rising as a result.

I too thought that Portlaoise was oversupplied and that the rental market would be static with all the houses that were thrown up in recent years. When I asked this guy why there would be such demand, his answer was simply that banks are not lending and therefore people couldn't get mortgages to buy or were uncertain about their future, job prospects etc and were unwilling to buy. Makes sense when you think about. I know of a number of people who took on huge mortgages in some of the newer estates and would probably revert to renting in the morning if they could. I'd imagine that additional costs and taxes associated with property ownership are having a direct effect on rent also- extra costs will be passed by landlords.

The debate about rent allowance is complicated- it put an artificial floor under rents for years, prevented true competition in the rental sector and wasn't a particularly effective measure for ensuring housing was available to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

In same predicament now ourselves Renting a house in Laois for past 2 years paying €550 our lease is up in November got letter off letting agent last week informing us that landlord was to increase rent to €700 or else we have to vacate the house.
    Don't know what to do. Only 1 of us is earning a modest salary and are struggling as it is.
    Was looking at Daft very few properties available in Laois compared to last year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

In same predicament now ourselves Renting a house in Laois for past 2 years paying €550 our lease is up in November got letter off letting agent last week informing us that landlord was to increase rent to €650 or else we have to vacate the house.
    Don't know what to do. Only 1 of us is earning a modest salary and are struggling as it is.
    Was looking at Daft very few properties available in Laois compared to last year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

SIX PACK wrote: »
    In same predicament now ourselves Renting a house in Laois for past 2 years paying €550 our lease is up in November got letter off letting agent last week informing us that landlord was to increase rent to €650 or else we have to vacate the house.

What you do is you lodge a case with the PRTB and continue to pay the standard rent while saving up the balance in case the PRTB find in favour of the landlord. In other words, if they are seeking market rate, then they'll win. If they're pushing it, you'll win. But save the balance.

Seek advice in the Accommodation & Property forum.

Best of luck.

Advertisement