Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you get 625points in your leaving cert if you didn't work for your Junior cert?

• 28-06-2014 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

I'm 17 going into 5th year after Ty and I haven't worked at all since first year, I never studied barely ever did my homework and did very little higher level subjects,
    I got C's in higher and B's in lower but I didn't work at all.
    Now I want to do medicine, and maybe I'm just stupid but I have wanted to do it for years but I talked myself out of it. I realise now I can't see myself doing anything else...

I'll need to change my C1 average to an A2 average in higher level and my B1 average to an A2 average in higher.
    I did lower English , Irish, Maths, French but I never tried, I was told I could do higher in all of them but I didn't work.
    I really hate myself for doing that.

Is it possible to manage that big of a jump?
    The only test I ever studied for was biology Xmas test in 3nd year and I got 99% in higher and the second highest was 86%...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Nothings impossible. Likely? Id rather buy a lotto ticket than bet on it happening if I am honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

It's possible in theory of course, but in reality I'll have to say it's not likely, at all. All the subjects you did ordinary level in are tough subjects, bringing them up to As in honours will be an absolute nightmare.

There were people in my year who did nothing for the JC and ended up with 2 or 3 As at honours level in the JC, and they definitely didn't get anywhere near 625 points in the leaving. Also in subjects like Maths and English you'll find it extremely difficult to bring your marks up by that much, in these subjects natural aptitude is as important as hard work - if you're not naturally good at Maths you won't get an A1, people will tell you it's possible but it really, really isn't. You might be able to learn off A1-standard essays for English and if just get lucky on the day they'll suit the questions given and you might get an A1, but if you can't get your head around maths you won't be getting an A1.

Don't want to sound harsher anything, but that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

Thanks for the answer , I got an A in English for my JC and my teacher held me back numberous times throughout the yea after dropping down to lower level near Xmas becaue I didn't like the teacher , she said I should not have been in that class more times then she corrected there's and theirs..

Maths would be an issue, one teacher said I would be able for higher and the other said I wouldn't. I had done higher for awhile and with no study at all I was barely passing, I would definitely be getting grinds if I did higher.

You have more of a chance then dying on your way to collect your lotto winnings then you do of actually winning the lottery, so by that you mean the chances are slim to nothing,
    My goal would be above 550 as that seems to be the cut off of how gets into medicine and who doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭f3232

Seanf999 wrote: »
    I'm 17 going into 5th year after Ty and I haven't worked at all since first year, I never studied barely ever did my homework and did very little higher level subjects,
    I got C's in higher and B's in lower but I didn't work at all.
    Now I want to do medicine, and maybe I'm just stupid but I have wanted to do it for years but I talked myself out of it. I realise now I can't see myself doing anything else...

I'll need to change my C1 average to an A2 average in higher level and my B1 average to an A2 average in higher.
    I did lower English , Irish, Maths, French but I never tried, I was told I could do higher in all of them but I didn't work.
    I really hate myself for doing that.

Is it possible to manage that big of a jump?
    The only test I ever studied for was biology Xmas test in 3nd year and I got 99% in higher and the second highest was 86%...

Would you be willing to study for 4 to five hours a night for two years?
    Could you transform your organisational skills?
    Can you forget about social media and other distractions?
    Can you pay for grinds in three or four subjects over the two years.
    Can you be in class every day take great notes, seek your teachers help, get all homework done?
    Can you pick subjects to maximize your chances of getting high points (taking into account you will need two science subjects (and as a science teacher I would be doubtful you can get a A in chemistry in the LC unless your good at HL maths too) (or one for a Galway option))
    Can you pay to do a couple of preparatory courses for the HPAT (at 250-500E a piece)

If you can answer yes to all of the above questions than maybe you will get there. If not NO Chance.

Also you need to understand the system for getting into Medicine (HPAT test) which you don't seem to do.

You will not need 625 points in LC

Also you may be eligible for the HEAR/DARE schemes.

Good luck,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Thanks for the answer , I got an A in English for my JC and my teacher held me back numberous times throughout the yea after dropping down to lower level near Xmas becaue I didn't like the teacher , she said I should not have been in that class more times then she corrected there's and theirs..

Maths would be an issue, one teacher said I would be able for higher and the other said I wouldn't. I had done higher for awhile and with no study at all I was barely passing, I would definitely be getting grinds if I did higher.

I've posted in your other thread on this, and I'm wondering are you expecting different answers with a second thread, but seriously there is a massive jump between JC higher level maths and LC higher level maths. There are many bright hard working students who struggle with HL maths. You are proposing doing higher level maths after doing ordinary maths for junior cert. You won't even have some of the stuff covered from junior cert that gives you that foundation.

I'm not sure why any maths teacher would recommend that an ordinary level student would do higher level maths after doing ordinary for junior cert.

• Advertisement

I do plan on getting grinds and I will ask teachers what subjects I should get them in.
    I am trying for the 6 year course so chemistry is not necessary , I realised getting an A in chemistry was unlikely ad I would be better off trying to maximising my points.
    I have been thinking of doing subjects with OL maths, this way I can just pay maths and try maximise points in area where I'd have a better chance doing so. And I'd save a lot of time as money trying to study as get grinds on a subject i probably wouldn't use for points!
    I am willing to work my ass off till I'm in my 30s to become a qualified surgeon!

I have looked into the Hpat but not very in dept, I have looked at some sample questions just to see and they ok not simple but not impossible, I realise the Hpat is very important but at the minute I feel that if I can't get the LC points Hpat won't be necessary because I don't know if it's even attainable, it's something I really want and something I am wiling to work for but I don't know if it's possible.

At the minute I'm already working on my organisational skills, my study methods, and just whatever I can do to improve my chances of getting into medicine,

and yes I realise it's June and I'm only going into fifth year but it's really something I want..

I'm also wondering if I should try 8 subjects and do OL maths and just pass it , this way I can focus on my other subjects and try maximise points this way, I mean I will be spending a lot of time and money studying and getting grinds for HL maths which in reality I may not even use for points!

I do plan on getting grinds and I will ask teachers what subjects I should get them in.
    I am trying for the 6 year course so chemistry is not necessary , I realised getting an A in chemistry was unlikely ad I would be better off trying to maximising my points.
    I have been thinking of doing subjects with OL maths, this way I can just pay maths and try maximise points in area where I'd have a better chance doing so. And I'd save a lot of time as money trying to study as get grinds on a subject i probably wouldn't use for points!
    I am willing to work my ass off till I'm in my 30s to become a qualified surgeon!

I have looked into the Hpat but not very in dept, I have looked at some sample questions just to see and they ok not simple but not impossible, I realise the Hpat is very important but at the minute I feel that if I can't get the LC points Hpat won't be necessary because I don't know if it's even attainable, it's something I really want and something I am wiling to work for but I don't know if it's possible.

At the minute I'm already working on my organisational skills, my study methods, and just whatever I can do to improve my chances of getting into medicine,

and yes I realise it's June and I'm only going into fifth year but it's really something I want..

Some practical maths:

6A2 grades at HL = 540 points. If you are not going to do HL maths, at least one of your grades needs to be an A1 to bring you up to 550, if you can't attain A2s in everything then you need some of your grades to be A1s to compensate for lower grades.

A student counting HL maths as one of their 6 will have 25 bonus points to include.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I'm also wondering if I should try 8 subjects and do OL maths and just pass it , this way I can focus on my other subjects and try maximise points this way, I mean I will be spending a lot of time and money studying and getting grinds for HL maths which in reality I may not even use for points!

You can't get 625 points if you sit OL Maths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I got into medicine and my Junior Cert was pretty hilarious, got a D in Maths and a C in Science and ended up getting As in 4 sciences for the LC. Don't worry about, you're in a great position having an idea of the work you need to do heading into fifth year.

Chill out for the rest of the Summer and just keep on top of the work and get busy putting a strong foundation down during fifth year, if I'd done that it would have made sixth year an awful lot easier!

As for Maths, I'd say go into the honours class at the start of fifth year and if you absolutely have to drop down at the start of sixth year do so, but with the extra 25 points these days even say a B1/2 in honours maths would be a great result and far from impossible.

You can't get 625 points if you sit OL Maths

Haha yea I realise but should I try do the OL maths root at go for 600 rather then 625? Because going for 625 I'd need to count HL maths which chances are I would not be doing
    fewtins wrote: »
    I got into medicine and my Junior Cert was pretty hilarious, got a D in Maths and a C in Science and ended up getting As in 4 sciences for the LC. Don't worry about, you're in a great position having an idea of the work you need to do heading into fifth year.

Chill out for the rest of the Summer and just keep on top of the work and get busy putting a strong foundation down during fifth year, if I'd done that it would have made sixth year an awful lot easier!

As for Maths, I'd say go into the honours class at the start of fifth year and if you absolutely have to drop down at the start of sixth year do so, but with the extra 25 points these days even say a B1/2 in honours maths would be a great result and far from impossible.

Thank you for answering! May I ask what did you get in your LC? And how hard did you find it overall? I mean considering you have gone through a situation similar to what I was in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Microphone Head

In my opinion I think it will be really hard for you but I don't think it is impossible. I did my LC this year and applied to medicine. If you want to to become a doctor you have to be perfect in almost every subject which is very difficult to do. Subjects like maths, English and Irish, no matter how hard you try you might no be able to achieve a perfect mark. I have tried really hard ths year but I think English and Irish have let me down. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Ka_yl_ei_gh

625 points isn't really 625 points for medicine, because of adjusted points.

550 - 550
    555 - 551

So, 625, in reality, is only 565.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Thank you for answering! May I ask what did you get in your LC? And how hard did you find it overall? I mean considering you have gone through a situation similar to what I was in.

Fewtins however did not do four OL subjects.

With all due respect, I would be surprised if someone with the potential to get into a Medicine course would have to do an OL European language and worse - OL English for the JC, even having done no work.

I didn't do any work at all for the JC - I studied in school for half an hour before French started, and I had written less than 20 pages of English essays that year. I didn't do anything for science at all.

Yet I still got Bs in all of them. If you were getting Cs at best in HL subjects with no work - and only Bs in OL subjects, the ones I got Bs in doing very little, I would doubt you would manage to get the HPAT result and LC necessary for Med.

Now, I don't know if you were depressed, fell in with a bad crowd etc, but if you want this, start working now. Get yourself up to a HL standard in Maths, English and your European language over the summer (and Irish if you wish), because you'll need to go straight into HL classes in 5th year.

To answer your question - yes, one can get 625 having done no work. However given your JC results, I don't think you can, sorry.

I did get in with a bad crowd, i got 6 notes off of a full journal in 2nd year my grades dropped from As and Bs in first year to Cs in 2nd, I never got suspended but I did get in a lot of trouble, teachers stopped me leaving after every class to say how I was wasting my potential,
    In English I was getting Cs with no study in higher but I didn't like the teacher who came back after maternity leave at the start of 3rd year, my OL teacher said I could be getting As in higher not lower..

I did get in with a bad crowd, i got 6 notes off of a full journal in 2nd year my grades dropped from As and Bs in first year to Cs in 2nd, I never got suspended but I did get in a lot of trouble, teachers stopped me leaving after every class to say how I was wasting my potential,
    In English I was getting Cs with no study in higher but I didn't like the teacher who came back after maternity leave at the start of 3rd year, my OL teacher said I could be getting As in higher not lower..

"I didn't like the teacher" is not a good enough excuse to drop levels.

Here are some interesting statistics from the CAO from last year's Leaving Cert.
    Best six (6) subjects counted for scoring.
    Total candidates presenting LCE : 52,767

Candidates scoring 600 points : 152 ( 0.3%) 152 ( 0.3%)
    Candidates scoring 590/595 points : 158 ( 0.3%) 310 ( 0.6%)
    Candidates scoring 580/585 points : 213 ( 0.4%) 523 ( 1.0%)
    Candidates scoring 570/575 points : 271 ( 0.5%) 794 ( 1.5%)
    Candidates scoring 560/565 points : 320 ( 0.6%) 1,114 ( 2.1%)
    Candidates scoring 550/555 points : 451 ( 0.9%) 1,565 ( 3.0%)
    Candidates scoring 540/545 points : 479 ( 0.9%) 2,044 ( 3.9%)
    Candidates scoring 530/535 points : 616 ( 1.2%) 2,660 ( 5.0%)
    Candidates scoring 520/525 points : 684 ( 1.3%) 3,344 ( 6.3%)
    Candidates scoring 510/515 points : 751 ( 1.4%) 4,095 ( 7.8%)
    Candidates scoring 500/505 points : 870 ( 1.6%) 4,965 ( 9.4%)

"I didn't like the teacher" is not a good enough excuse to drop levels.

I realise that now and I completely agree, but then I seen that as the perfect excuse to drop because in reality I didn't care what I got out of school because I kept telling myself I'm too stupid for medicine..

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Are people in this thread really saying that if you done bad in your junior cert. you wont do good in your LC? What the hell? I know a lad last year who managed to somehow fail 4 subjects in his junior cert, then for the leaving he bagged a nice and snug 480 points, he done all ordinary in junior except for English Irish and Engineering, don't listen to some people in this thread, but If I were you I wouldn't do 4 O level subjects bro, bit risky

Badwulf wrote: »
    Are people in this thread really saying that if you done bad in your junior cert. you wont do good in your LC? What the hell? I know a lad last year who managed to somehow fail 4 subjects in his junior cert, then for the leaving he bagged a nice and snug 480 points, he done all ordinary in junior except for English Irish and Engineering, don't listen to some people in this thread, but If I were you I wouldn't do 4 O level subjects bro, bit risky

480 is a lot more manageable than 625.

MacBizzle wrote: »
    480 is a lot more manageable than 625.

I suppose you make a good point but still anything is possible, I wouldn't let your JC results worry you at all, you got two full years to study for your LC, heck if your felling lazy you got a whole full year to just study in leaving cert. (but if your going for medicine I would advise not starting study in the last couple of weeks/months like nearly 80% of my year, myself included, did, 625 will be near impossible then)

I suppose you make a good point but still anything is possible, I wouldn't let your JC results worry you at all, you got two full years to study for your LC, heck if your felling lazy you got a whole full year to just study in leaving cert. (but if your going for medicine I would advise not starting study in the last couple of weeks/months like nearly 80% of my year, myself included, did, 625 will be near impossible then)

We're talking miracles here. Possible but highly, highly unlikely.

• Advertisement

We're talking miracles here. Possible but highly, highly unlikely.

We talking highly unlikely for the OP to get 625 with bad junior cert results or highly unlikely for him to get good points in general with bad junior cert results?

We talking highly unlikely for the OP to get 625 with bad junior cert results or highly unlikely for him to get good points in general with bad junior cert results?

Could come out with 550+ if he starts during fifth year and doesn't stop until the end of 6th year but that's easier said than done...

The minimum I'd be happy with is 550 and after that the sky's the limit!
    I am already studying now as I already have the books, so basically I'm just out of Ty less than a month and I'm already studying for 5th year.
    I know I've got high hopes but honestly I can't see myself doing anything else,

I got into a bad crowd end if first year, I mean my grades dropped from As and Bs to Cs galore in a matter of months! The one test I studied for was a bio for wa my Xmas test in 3rd year and I got 99% and I had studied for about 45 mind the night before the test and that it..

Any tips on study habits? Organisation? Or basically anything to improve my med school chances?

The minimum I'd be happy with is 550 and after that the sky's the limit!
    I am already studying now as I already have the books, so basically I'm just out of Ty less than a month and I'm already studying for 5th year.
    I know I've got high hopes but honestly I can't see myself doing anything else,

I got into a bad crowd end if first year, I mean my grades dropped from As and Bs to Cs galore in a matter of months! The one test I studied for was a bio for wa my Xmas test in 3rd year and I got 99% and I had studied for about 45 mind the night before the test and that it..

Any tips on study habits? Organisation? Or basically anything to improve my med school chances?

I'd nearly say wait until 5th year to start studying, you'll be knackered come September if you start now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Fewtins however did not do four OL subjects.

Apologies, I didn't read that part properly!

I still go but I what I said though OP you're in good position knowing you want to score high before fifth year has even started, it'll be really hard work but it's not impossible and you don't need miracles, you just need to learn to apply yourself and get serious from September onwards.

At the end of the day the worst case scenario is that you get a better set of leaving cert results than if you hadn't changed your attitude and started working hard. If you're still dead set on Medicine at that stage and don't get it surely you'll have gotten the points to get into college anyway and developed the discipline and hopefully interest to get a 2:1 for Grad/decent set of results for mature entry, or alternatively you could find yourself in a position where repeating would be a realistically good option.

Having been in that position myself I know you can go only go upwards, even if you don't get what you want in the end you have nothing to lose and what you seem set on now will probably swing a few times before finishing the LC.

Like, taking your work to date in account your goal at this stage should be 'to finish fifth year with as much good feedback and as many good results as possible in as many honours subjects as I can manage', not something like 'if I don't get 625 and into Medicine I've failed miserably'.

I'd nearly say wait until 5th year to start studying, you'll be knackered come September if you start now...

I'm really not doing that much just an hour it two everyday, I mean I've got all the time in the world why not use it!
    fewtins wrote: »
    Apologies, I didn't read that part properly!

I still go but I what I said though OP you're in good position knowing you want to score high before fifth year has even started, it'll be really hard work but it's not impossible and you don't need miracles, you just need to learn to apply yourself and get serious from September onwards.

At the end of the day the worst case scenario is that you get a better set of leaving cert results than if you hadn't changed your attitude and started working hard. If you're still dead set on Medicine at that stage and don't get it surely you'll have gotten the points to get into college anyway and developed the discipline and hopefully interest to get a 2:1 for Grad/decent set of results for mature entry, or alternatively you could find yourself in a position where repeating would be a realistically good option.

Having been in that position myself I know you can go only go upwards, even if you don't get what you want in the end you have nothing to lose and what you seem set on now will probably swing a few times before finishing the LC.

Like, taking your work to date in account your goal at this stage should be 'to finish fifth year with as much good feedback and as many good results as possible in as many honours subjects as I can manage', not something like 'if I don't get 625 and into Medicine I've failed miserably'.

I know I'm trying to take baby steps. Thanks for the input!

Do you have any study/organisational tips?
    Or just any tips in general I'd really appreciate them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Think about what it is about Medicine that attracts you and investigate other careers and career paths that can fulfil that. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

There are plenty of jobs in the medical field that are not doctor and do not require the crazy number of points that the numbers wanting to be doctors have driven up.

spurious wrote: »
    Think about what it is about Medicine that attracts you and investigate other careers and career paths that can fulfil that. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

There are plenty of jobs in the medical field that are not doctor and do not require the crazy number of points that the numbers wanting to be doctors have driven up.

I've tried, I spent everyday since first year look at alternatives, I looked through everything I talked to college professors, principals , doctors , nurses
    You name it!
    And I kept arrivig back at medicine, I've always known that whatever I do I want to be the best, I want to be top teir no second place.
    I actually like the competitiveness (granted I get in) I like the idea of long hours and a stressful job, it sounds completely dilusional but honestly it's part reason why I decided on medicine.
    I want a time consuming job a job that others would dream of, the money's nice but not a vocal point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can get all those things - money, stress, long hours, being the best, in many many other fields.

Anyway, if your heart is set on it go for it. I think many going for doctor find it's not exactly as they imagined if they actually get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

I want a time consuming job a job that others would dream of, the money's nice but not a vocal point.

Do not do it for status. It's pathetic how many parents I know who have tried to shoehorn their children into Medicine just so they can say that their child is a doctor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement