Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going for the finish line

Options
  • 28-06-2014 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭

"Every day is a good day when you run" - Kevin Nelson

Background: . I started running in Feb 2010 with the Couch to 5k. Here are my times since then

5k : April 2010 -31.30
    10k: June 2010 - 1.06.25
    August 2011 - 1.03.58
    5 mile: July 2011: 51.34
    10 mile: August 2011: 1.49.21
    Half Marathon: September 2011: 2.28.13

Took a three year break! :D

I've done a few 2 mile/ 3mile jogs in the last 3 weeks.

Signed up for Dublin Race series again.

Started with Irish Runner Five Mile this morning

Plan was to jog to water station, which I thought was beyond 3 mile mark, walk the next mile and hills, and start jogging again at the end if I was able.

Result: Started near the front of wave 3. Loads of people passed me out and I was afraid to turn around incase I was last! Jogged as far as water station comfortably. Water station was before 3 mile mark so just kept going. Felt ok on the hills so kept jogging them. Felt ok at 4 mile mark so just kept plodding along. Started raining really heavily and to be honest I was more worried about my iphone getting water damage so kept going. Managed to find more strength for the last 300 metres, which I didn't expect. Rain just got heavier and heavier. Time on the clock said 1.01.5x. Wasn't sure if that would get me in under the hour chip time, but it didn't really matter, just delighted I made it without stopping.

Just checked chip time there and I did get well under the hour : 55.10!

Lady who gave me well deserved t-shirt told me I was lucky to get the last one in my size! Cheers lady - I know I'm slow!

Support and atmosphere was incredible and really got me to the end.

So huge confidence booster for me. Will sort out plan for next week now and post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Plan: Hopeful Plan (if I can do this I'll try for marathon)

Sunday 29th: Yoga and 1 hour walk
    Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: 3 mile run
    Wednesday: 3 mile run
    Thursday: 3 mile run
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: 7 mile run

Half Marathon Plan ( more realistic)

Sunday: 1 hour walk yoga
    Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: 3 mile run
    Wednesday: 2 mile run
    Thursday: 3 mile run
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: 4mile run

3 miles tonight done

Day 2:

Another 3 mile done.

Updated my fitbit ap and it has gps, map, mileage, time, cues... I love it.

So I've been doing 3.6 miles instead of 3 miles which explains why I was able for 5 miles on sat probably.

Kept it at 3 miles tonight. Nice and very slow... 34.55

mile 1: 11.19
    mile 2: 11.23
    mile 3 : 12.13

So excited about this tracker. Think it will help keep me motivated if I can follow my progress.

Day 3: 3 mile run

So I found this hard today but I knew I'd make it. The air is very muggy out there this evening even though there is a nice breeze. Was happy to see, however, that I was a bit faster tonight even though thats the first time ever that I've done three runs three days in a row. (I do have pedestrian lights to wait for at various points so I know these times are not real, but they're good for me to see my progress.

3 miles: 33.43
    Pace: 11.10
    Mile 1: 10,50
    Mile 2: 11.01
    Mile 3: 11.32

Two days rest now. But will be playing tennis both days so they'll count as cross. I'll see how far I can get on Sat. I'll try 7 miles.

So I went over my ankle on Thursday :( i was just walking with my bike and slipped. I knew it wasnt a bad sprain but it did swell up quite a bit. So I stopped with the plan and rested, cycled, swam in the sea and iced. Went out today to see how it was. Swelling is almost down and the tenderness is nearly gone. I could stand on it for 30 seconds and I could do the shape of the alphabet ( like it says on the internet) . I managed a very nervous but happy 4.5 miles yay! Back in action I think. The Frank Duffy 10k is on Sunday week so I really need to try and keep mileage up, I guess, if Im going to get this Half done. My niggling dream of doing the marathon has gone out the window for 2014, but thats ok. Im going for Half 2014 and marathon 2015 now and Im happy with that. Will keep me out of trouble and disciplined for another year!

Week 2:

Day 2: 4.5 miles to make up for missed 4 miler at weekend
    Time: 54.32
    Avg Pace: 11.51

Mile 1: 10.54
    Mile 2: 11.02
    Mile 3: 10.48
    Mile 4: 12.18

Plan for rest of week:
    Day 3: 3 miles
    Day 4: 3 miles
    Day 5: rest
    Day 6: cross
    Day 7: 5 miles

• Advertisement

Week 2

Day 2:

3 miles done

Lost my fitbit :(
    Used map my run for this and it measured km instead of miles so not sure how i did on each mile. Pretty awful by the look of the time and how I felt.

But would have been worse if I stopped or worse still if I didnt go out at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

dolliemix wrote: »
    So I went over my ankle on Thursday :( i was just walking with my bike and slipped. I knew it wasnt a bad sprain but it did swell up quite a bit. So I stopped with the plan and rested, cycled, swam in the sea and iced. Went out today to see how it was. Swelling is almost down and the tenderness is nearly gone. I could stand on it for 30 seconds and I could do the shape of the alphabet ( like it says on the internet) . I managed a very nervous but happy 4.5 miles yay! Back in action I think. The Frank Duffy 10k is on Sunday week so I really need to try and keep mileage up, I guess, if Im going to get this Half done. My niggling dream of doing the marathon has gone out the window for 2014, but thats ok. Im going for Half 2014 and marathon 2015 now and Im happy with that. Will keep me out of trouble and disciplined for another year!

Good call dolliemix. You'll have a great base built up for next year so it'll be a much more pleasant experience for you. Plus, all the super cool people are waiting to do marathons until 2015;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Great to see you again Dollie :-)

Great to see you again Dollie :-)

:) didn't think anyone would recognise me it's been so long! Thanks M! Must check up on you now....

Week 2 Day 5

Missed week 2 Day 3 achilles tight and I was cycling around all day anyway so felt it was enough to cover cross.

Today I set out to do 5 .5 miles but managed 6. I was feeling comfortable enough but by 9k my legs were well and truly dead but my head made me keep going. I am so slow!!! 6 miles took me 1 hr 10.

Mile 1: 11.01
    Mile 2: 10.57
    Mile 3: 11.21
    Mile 4: 11.34
    Mile 5: 11.26
    Mile 6: 12.10

I have the option of joining a running group two nights a week but I have reservations
    A) what if Im too slow for them
    B) should i just be concentrating on mileage for Half?

I think I could really do with the company so that would help. The only requirement is to be able to run for 35 mins non stop. But i dont think my pace is running and im not sure id be able to go much faster.

Anyway I have weekend to decide. It costs 100 euro though so I dont want to commit if I'm not able.....

Negative thoughts creeping in always. Like im thinking im not good enough or i wont make it. I really need to work on that!!

Positive thought: i covered 10k so all set up for Fingal Frank Duffy next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Ask can you go along for a trial before you pay. I'm sure there will be lots of different levels catered for. I think it sounds like a good opportunity. Fair play on getting your 6 miles done. Don't worry about the pace sure as long as you are enjoying your running that's all that matters.

• Advertisement

Here's Hal's plan for Week 3:

I may twitch it depending on how I go at this running class on Monday, which I will be trying out. Thanks for advice Sam4Mayo :)

Monday: 3.5 miles
    Tuesday: 2 miles
    Wednesday: 3.5 miles
    Thursday: rest
    Friday: 40 min cross ( I have tennis)
    Saturday: hal says 5 mile but I have Frank Duffy 10k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

dolliemix wrote: »
    :)
    Today I set out to do 5 .5 miles but managed 6. I was feeling comfortable enough but by 9k my legs were well and truly dead but my head made me keep going. I am so slow!!! 6 miles took me 1 hr 10.

Mile 1: 11.01
    Mile 2: 10.57
    Mile 3: 11.21
    Mile 4: 11.34
    Mile 5: 11.26
    Mile 6: 12.10

I have the option of joining a running group two nights a week but I have reservations
    A) what if Im too slow for them
    B) should i just be concentrating on mileage for Half?

I think I could really do with the company so that would help. The only requirement is to be able to run for 35 mins non stop. But i dont think my pace is running and im not sure id be able to go much faster.

:)
    Well done on the 6 today! Great going! You're really not slow at all!
    One thing I'd suggest is that you start out a bit slower and pick up the pace towards the end instead of getting steadily slower. On your next run why don't you try starting out around 12 pace for the first mile or two and gradually bring it down as the run progresses and finish stronger. Give it a go and see how you get on. It can be good for the confidence to finish strong.
    Best of luck with the running group. You'll probably find there are many people at the same level as you. Can't wait to see how it goes for you!!! Could be just the thing to help you improve.

[quote="Ososlo;91245953"On your next run why don't you try starting out around 12 pace for the first mile or two and gradually bring it down as the run progresses and finish stronger. Give it a go and see how you get on. It can be good for the confidence to finish strong.
    .[/quote]

Thanks for advice. Will try this out.

Week 3

Day 1: monday

Aim: 3.5 miles

Result: 3 mies including intervals with running group.

I did the running class today. We warmed up for a mile. Did interval training for a mile and cooled down for a mile. Really enjoyed it. Im not as fit as the others but im ok. My achilles was really really tight so Im a bit concerned about that. Maybe ive been doing the longer distances too soon. The achilles tightness is a result of the six miler on sat. Love to be able to keep this running group up and manage the long runs at the weekend.

Glad it went well. Try to keep it up as they would bring you on a lot . Mind the Achilles though, easy, easy running and stretches might help. ( not medical advice! )

Dissappointing visit to the physio but very glad I went. Gave her my story told her where my pain is. ( very stiff lower back of calf towards the outside moving down) . I had two days of difficulty walking. This area has been stiff for about two weeks but I was still able to run on it. It would get really sore when I stopped and even stiffer and sorer the next morning. On sat I was able for six miler and thought the stiffness was just normal. Sunday morning I found it really difficult walking in my flip flops but when i put on a pair of boots with heels, i could really feel the relief :) On Monday with the running group, I felt stiff but was able to keep going but I was really sore at the end. Now, none of this pain was unbearable. Probably 6/10 if I'd been asked. Tuesday could barely walk. Wednesday, yesterday, made appointment with physio.

So, all of this makes sense now. She asked me to do a few stretches and I was having difficulty with the calf stretches but nothing awful. Then she asked me to lift me heel up and balance on my toes on my left leg only. Wow! I actually could not move. No pain or anything. I just physically could not lift my heel. She did some dry needling. Ive never had done that before. Not painful but strange. Like cramping.

Turns out I've damaged my soleus. She reckons I've gone in to the mileage too quickly after my three year break. I should have built up more gradually. Hal Higdon's novice program suited me the last time cos I'd built up before it she also reckons the injury is coming from my hip and core area. That those areas are very weak and I've aquired this injury because Im overcompensating.

This all makes sense to me. My core has always been really weak and I've always avoided exercises related to core. I love yoga and last time I did yoga with the running. She reckons I don't necessarily need yoga as my flexibility is quite good ( some good news :)) .

So my weeks work now is:

No running
    No walking (:()
    No wearing flip flops/ flat shoes/ bare feet

But I can:

Cycle
    Swim
    Do incredibly boring core exercises

Next appointment next tuesday. Have booked into beginners pilates course with one and one class to begin with. And I'll start running again with more posture awareness and join beginner's running group asap.

I feel like I'm totally going backwards but in a sense I'm feeling positive that if I do all of this right, I'll be able to run regularly without all the niggles with the right form for a longer time.

My aim is still to do Marathon 2015
    Watch this space!

Fair play for tackling yor injury straight away. Regarding Pilates it might surprise you. It takes a while to get the hang of an although it's very slow movements it is very effective. I do it at home after getting a couple of one to one sessions and find it very relaxing, gives me energy and more importantly it definitely works!

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Fair play for tackling yor injury straight away. Regarding Pilates it might surprise you. It takes a while to get the hang of an although it's very slow movements it is very effective. I do it at home after getting a couple of one to one sessions and find it very relaxing, gives me energy and more importantly it definitely works!

Thats great to hear thanks SamforMayo. Yeah I think I'd need one to one to start off with anyway. Any time I've tried doing a class I've been lost. Not feeling things that I'm supposed to be feeling. 😄 very frustrating.

Did 30 min cycle today and 1 round of physio's stretches.

I'll try and head out again later on.

Update on Injury

I went to back to Physio today feeling better but still tight and definitely still do not have full range when walking. I still cannot lift my left heel to stand on my toes at all. Physio seems pretty concerned about this. ButI'm not in a lot of pain so I was hoping to get good news. Maybe I can go walking?

No! When she went to feel my calves/ soleus/ achilles the pain was much worse than last week at the bottom . Upper calf is much better . She's not sure now whats going on. She says it's definitely localised. I need to start icing, taking anti-inflamatories, wearing compression socks and definitely no flip-flops or flat shoes. (this is so hard in this weather). Also I was planning on heading out west for a few days but no point now really cos I can't go walking.

Next she tried some dry needling again. It wasn't so bad last time. This time it was unbelieveable! I had a pool of sweat in both hands after! Ouch even thinking about it still. My leg is dead now 2 hours later and calf is very stiff. She put some tape on the sole of my foot to keep it rigid which makes me think this is way more serious than I thought.

I can still cycle though, and swim, and she's given me a few more exercises to do and the go ahead to start my pilates this evening. She also recommends that the reformer pilates is better that the mat session.

In the meantime, I have been cycling from A to B and I've done 3 gorgeous gentle swims in. Nothing strenuous though. I really can't wait to get back out there working up a sweat from running.

That's a dose, hope you see some improvement soon, enjoy the Pilates. Oh and the weather is nt great in the west, too much mist!

• Advertisement
Advertisement