Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin House Prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

murphaph wrote: »
    You're possibly missing the main advantage of BTL over other investment classes. You can get a mortgage and let someone else pay it off for you over time, leaving you with an expensive asset as well as the rental return. You generally won't get a loan for any other type of investment unless you're Warren Buffet or the like.

All things being equal, nobody should buy an investment property outright with their own reserves. They should use a portion of their available funds and leverage the rest. Does this sound like Celtic Tiger speak? Yes, but it's still true if you know what you are doing. Some people can also borrow at much lower rates than the Irish banks lend at to normal schmucks working a 9-5 job. Even in my own case (and I'm certainly a small time landlord and I know it!) I can borrow against my German property at rates that would make Irish people cry (think a little over 3% FIXED for 20 YEARS!!) and use it to finance whatever I like. My brother and I have a semi derelict property that we intend renovating using such finance.

interesting... is buying and/or owning a foreign property the starting point to access this cheap credit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Piriz wrote: »
    interesting... is buying and/or owning a foreign property the starting point to access this cheap credit?

I'd say living in Germany would be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Piriz wrote: »
    true, i mentioned in my earlier post how a few months ago Michael Noonan publicly stated he wants to see house prices rise further. Chances are he will extend the capital gains tax exemption...However, i think that Bubble2.0 will destroy this government if they don't act to control their measures that inflate it...

on reflection it appears that their measures are in conflict...increasing property prices yields greater property tax revenues, nevertheless the more people have to pay for property the more disgruntled they become and there is less disposable income in the economy... but Noonan wants the banks to look good for the stress tests and the rest of us will pay for it...again.

This is the full extent of their economic strategy - another property bubble. This is why, IMHO, dept of finance chief John Moran resigned.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/secretary-general-of-dept-of-finance-quits-629839.html

You mentioned their policies conflict. I agree. How can higher house prices be paid for without higher pay? Yet since day one they have been banging on about restoring our competitiveness.

p.s. - I think the Govt might also seek to reduce the amount of tax due on all forms of income, in other words they might cut tax due on rental income. Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

ted1 wrote: »
    Malahide clontarf and howth are more east coast than Northside.

Malahide, Clontarf and Howth are Northside. I am from one of those area's and unless, Ted1, you have moved them then they are still in the Northside.

Tallaght is SCD.

Leafy suburbs, good schools, nice villages, good sports facilities, abundance of parks, lots of people from the area want to stay in the area. E.g a family of 6 will have 4 kids who want to remain the area so this causes good competition among houses and keeps the pushes the price up.
    I only know one couple who moved from south dublin to north dublin, and now there in the process of moving back

Growing up on the Northside I had parks, a good school and a huge beach on my doorstep.

Since moving to South Central Dublin this is one of the things that this side of the city is missing. There are far more parks and the sea in the Northside.

Southside is just boring endless suburbs.

• Advertisement

What part of Dublin are you looking at? FTB in south Dublin will have incomes close to or in excess of 100k.
    I think that the prices are close to settling from being seriously undervalued in 2012

Believe it or not I know of several couples (Doctors, Solicitors, Tech Professionals, SME Directors) who are from the Northside and earn in excess of 100k.

They have schools and colleges in the Northside too you know..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

lima wrote: »
    Believe it or not I know of several couples (Doctors, Solicitors, Tech Professionals, SME Directors) who are from the Northside and earn in excess of 100k.

They have schools and colleges in the Northside too you know..
    You have an awful chip on your shoulder.Good for you knowing couples, I never said they don't I'm commenting on south dublin N11 corridor which I know about.

Tallaght may be is SCD but it's not considered Southside.its west dublin or It's the foothills of the dublin mountains..
    Anything outside the M50 is not real dublin

Tallaght may be is SCD but it's not considered Southside.its west dublin or It's the foothills of the dublin mountains..

Well I happen to know about Northside and Clontarf, Malahide and Howth are certainly still on the Northside, alongside Drumcondra, Santry and a whole lot of others, complete with high earners. Your perception of a chip comes from my frustration because of your ridiculous comment about 'east coast'.

Tallaght is Dublin and South County Dublin. It is as much South Dublin as Blanchardstown is North Dublin.

Anything outside the M50 that is in the county of Dublin is Dublin. This is undeniable.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭CashMoney

You have an awful chip on your shoulder.Good for you knowing couples, I never said they don't I'm commenting on south dublin N11 corridor which I know about.

Unfortunately, it seems apparent that being from the 'N11 corridor' does not automatically guarantee one's intelligence.

CashMoney wrote: »
    Unfortunately, it seems apparent that being from the 'N11 corridor' does not automatically guarantee one's intelligence.

Care to point out a flaw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

lets get this thread back on topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

It's in the answer to the following:

Is Tallaght (post code D24) in the county of Dublin?

Is Tallaght on the south side of the river Liffey?

I don't know why this has even become part of the thread. House prices are going up up north and south of dublin, inside and outside the M50

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

WE saw in the boom ,
    many investors are stupid,
    they bought houses with no reasonable rate of return.
    I know people who bought apartments in 2006,
    they make zero profit .
    Rent is less than the mortgage.
    They can,t sell up cos of negative equity.
    And they are still liable for tax on rental income.Maybe people are buying because prices are rising,
    if i don,t buy now i,ll be left out of the market.
    And apart from ballymun the council are building very few houses .ITS
    simply wrong to presume that all investors are smart or think things thru,
    ie whats my return on investment in 5-10 year,s .

goz83 wrote: »
    It's in the answer to the following:

Is Tallaght (post code D24) in the county of Dublin?

Is Tallaght on the south side of the river Liffey?

I don't know why this has even become part of the thread. House prices are going up up north and south of dublin, inside and outside the M50

It's not really about geographic locations, at this stage south dublin is a brand that encompasses the affluent areas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 philip_lamb

murphaph wrote: »
    You're possibly missing the main advantage of BTL over other investment classes. You can get a mortgage and let someone else pay it off for you over time, leaving you with an expensive asset as well as the rental return. You generally won't get a loan for any other type of investment unless you're Warren Buffet or the like.

All things being equal, nobody should buy an investment property outright with their own reserves. They should use a portion of their available funds and leverage the rest. Does this sound like Celtic Tiger speak? Yes, but it's still true if you know what you are doing. Some people can also borrow at much lower rates than the Irish banks lend at to normal schmucks working a 9-5 job. Even in my own case (and I'm certainly a small time landlord and I know it!) I can borrow against my German property at rates that would make Irish people cry (think a little over 3% FIXED for 20 YEARS!!) and use it to finance whatever I like. My brother and I have a semi derelict property that we intend renovating using such finance.

the banks wont lend for a BTL unless the person buying the investment property has a very high income , they will not count the earnings potential of the property itself as means to pay the mortgage , at least that was how it was a year ago

It's not really about geographic locations, at this stage south dublin is a brand that encompasses the affluent areas.

geographically speaking , east dublin is where the well off live , " south dublin " is more of a state of mind than an accurate geographical description

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

at this stage south dublin is a brand that encompasses the affluent areas.

Wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Yes. Ballyfermot is both southside and inside the M50. You can wishfully think that it isn't, but it is.

Zamboni wrote: »
    Wtf?

When an item demands a higher price than a similar item it's genreally because of branding. Houses in south dublin demand higher prices because a brand has being built up and people are willing to pay a premium for it. So south dublin is a brand that is not solely based on geographic locations.

Tallaght which population exceeds limericks is its own entity and is not part of the south dublin brand

pablo128 wrote: »
    Yes. Ballyfermot is both southside and inside the M50. You can wishfully think that it isn't, but it is.

Its west dublin as stated earlier south dublin is a brand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Its west dublin as stated earlier south dublin is a brand
    You wish. I lived in Ballyfermot until I was 8 years old. I moved to Clondalkin until I was almost 30. I now live in Tallaght. All of these areas are in South Dublin.
    Brand my hole.
    The only reason Dundrum, Ballinteer etc have higher house prices is because they are nicer areas with less knackers roaming about.

pablo128 wrote: »
    The only reason Dundrum, Ballinteer etc have higher house prices is because they are nicer areas with less knackers roaming about.

That's all part of the brand..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Well spotted, poindexter.

I'm sure the residents of Malahide, Clonrarf and Howth among others would agree. Let's not mention Clondalkin though.

Ah, the usual 3 areas out of how many?

You can keep your 3 cos no matter what, they will always be NORTH side....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Destination branding is a concerted effort involving pouring money in to an area to promote tourism. Are you telling us a body of people marketed all of South County Dublin as a brand or people to live? Phillip_Lamb's on the ball, It's the East that has the best quality of life, thus attracting wealthier people. Coasts attract the world over.

nc19 wrote: »
    You can keep your 3 cos no matter what, they will always be NORTH side....

This thread is just full of downright ignorant snobbery and should best be locked at this stage.
    Remember ignorant snobs are as disgusting as ignorant scum.

You're deluded.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Destination branding is a concerted effort involving pouring money in to an area to promote tourism. Are you telling us a body of people marketed all of South County Dublin as a brand or people to live? Phillip_Lamb's on the ball, It's the East that has the best quality of life, thus attracting wealthier people. Coasts attract the world over.

As I said about the east coast on post # 13

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

As I said about the east coast on post # 13

There's no "brand" no brand manager, no inhouse or agency work/money developing a brand. It happens organically, it evolves.

When an item demands a higher price than a similar item it's genreally because of branding. Houses in south dublin demand higher prices because a brand has being built up and people are willing to pay a premium for it. So south dublin is a brand that is not solely based on geographic locations.

Tallaght which population exceeds limericks is its own entity and is not part of the south dublin brand

in many ways , clontarf , malahide and howth also fit that " lifestyle - brand "

like i said , a more accurate description when it comes to " well to do " would be east dublin

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »

i was in lisbon at the begining of may

took a train trip inland from lisbon to sintra one day , everyone who got on was black and we passed high rise flats for miles

the following day , took the train from lisbon to caiscais which is a coastal resort , entirely different demographic on board and housing along the way reflected this

people the world over want to live beside the sea , most expensive property in galway is in salthill etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement