Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salsa recipes

Options
  • 28-06-2014 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭

As anyone a good recipe for salsa they would like to share? I have tried a few different methods but am not satisfied.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A punnet of cherry tomatoes, chopped.
    A bunch of spring onions chopped.
    A mango, diced.
    A clove of garlic, minced.
    A chilli of your choice, finely chopped.
    The juice of a lime.
    A pinch of sugar.
    A dash of tequila.
    Salt.
    Pepper.
    A bunch of fresh coriander, chopped.

All in a bowl.
    Mix carefully but well.
    Eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Twquila? Interesting, must try that. Do the herry tomaties make for a better salsa? I had been using regular ones. I tend to use red onion too.

Recently I made cooked salsa for Mexican/ranch eggs. I later left it cool and put it in the fridge and it made a decent dip fir tortillas a lá the shop bought stuff in jars

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yeah. A little drop of Tequila just gives it that 'something'. Vodka or gin good too if no tequila to hand. No problem omitting it either.

Any tomatoes will do but the nicer the tomatoes, the nicer the salsa. A punnet of cherry tomatoes is a handy measure.

If I use onions, I like to chop them first, salt them an put in the bowl with the citrus juice. Then put the chopped tomatoes on top and not stir it til the end. This let's the onion marinate a bit, taking the harshness off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

My (totally inauthentic but hopefully still delicious) salsa recipe:

4 plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
    Half a red onion, finely diced
    One chilli finely diced/dried chilli flakes to taste
    Tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped
    Good sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper
    Juice of half a lime
    Drizzle of olive oil
    Drizzle of balsamic vinegar

Mix it all up, then dig in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Does anyone peel their tomatoes? I did that today as I tend to prefer sqlsa as a sauce/dip rather than like a mixed tomato salad.

I think I ruined it (again) by using either too much corriander or red onion - though I did try the trick with leaving the onion in a bowl with some lime juice and salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Yeah. A little drop of Tequila just gives it that 'something'.

I've gotta try this.

I put a dash of bourbon into my chilli and it ads a subtle flavour to it, so adding tequila to salsa a natural progression.

I'll just keep telling myself that....

Advertisement