Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

running shoe with a flexible heel

Options
  • 28-06-2014 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Does anyone have recommendations for a runner with a flexible heel. I was at my physio during the week who advised no running for three weeks and said all my achilles issues are due to my heel being locked in place which is leaving my achilles inflexible. He showed me a pair of saucony that he swears by that look like a pair of slippers! I wore nike lunarglide3 for two years, then asics kayano and brooks adrenaline(switch between these two). I wear asics ds racers when racing and love the lightweight feel but must admit I dont think they are helping my injury.
    I dont want to go to a minimalist runner and I need support for medium pronation but would like to find a runner with this flexible heel (you can basically push the heel into the shoe). Any recommendations welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

See here for similar Q&A http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=5645099

I think you would also want to be careful about not reducing the heel to toe drop from what you are used to as this could put extra pressure on the achilles.

You might also want another diagnosis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

dna_leri wrote: »
    See here for similar Q&A http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=5645099

I think you would also want to be careful about not reducing the heel to toe drop from what you are used to as this could put extra pressure on the achilles.

+1 I would personally look to a more long term fix with regards the ankle joint mobility and muscle Range of movement. No shoe will correct the underlying issue

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

conavitzky wrote: »
    I dont want to go to a minimalist runner and I need support for medium pronation but would like to find a runner with this flexible heel (you can basically push the heel into the shoe). Any recommendations welcome.

To answer this bit - ASICS Super J33 should fit the bill.

The other points re mobility and underlying issues should be dealt with too, don't rely on a shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 d.runs

I had the same heel problems for a number of years and the cause was stiff runners. I changed over to shoes with flexible heels and have run marathons in Nike Lunaracer, Sketchers Go Run Ride, Saucony Kinvara with no problems. I basically stopped wearing runners with stiff heels and go for anything flexible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

dna_leri wrote: »

I hear ya. Im going around with gel pads in my shoes the last week to raise my heel further. Any transition will be slow initally using the heel raises.

AKW wrote: »
    To answer this bit - ASICS Super J33 should fit the bill.

The other points re mobility and underlying issues should be dealt with too, don't rely on a shoe.
    Thanks akw. A lot of my issues are from lack of mobility in my left hip and glute weakness so plenty of avenues to attack.

d.runs wrote: »
    I had the same heel problems for a number of years and the cause was stiff runners. I changed over to shoes with flexible heels and have run marathons in Nike Lunaracer, Sketchers Go Run Ride, Saucony Kinvara with no problems. I basically stopped wearing runners with stiff heels and go for anything flexible.
    I see you are from Sligo also, the guy I was with gave an example of someone sounding very much like you who made the switch!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 d.runs

conavitzky wrote: »
    I see you are from Sligo also, the guy I was with gave an example of someone sounding very much like you who made the switch!

I'd say it was me as I've been to all the lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

The shoe he would have showed you was the Saucony Virata.

• Advertisement
Advertisement