Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

08 R56 Mini Cooper S - Sluggish Acceleration?

Options
  • 28-06-2014 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭

I have a problem with my 2008 R56 Mini Cooper S that ive noticed today unfortunately.

When i accelerate to say half throttle or above the engine revs up but the turbo is sluggish to accelerate, its hesitating to pick up speed, but the revs go up

its happening in any gear from 2-6 it appears, but seems worse in 6th gear

i did hit a bank of water yesterday that i wish i avoided, video below of that

anybody got any idea to what the problem could be?

plugs? ignition coil? fuel injection/pump? turbo screwed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

if the revs are increasing but the speed is not it sounds like your describing the clutch slipping

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Also with regard to that engine, I would recommend you getting the timing chain tested for stretching and also the engine to have an inlet valve clean. What mileage is on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

129k, im not suffering any engine rattle when cold starting yet on it.

but its had the revised tensioner fitted due to it starting to show symptoms of the timing chain issue, those symptoms dissapeared with the new tensioner. that was fitted around 6 months ago.

come to think of it, i think i was getting a whiff of clutch into the cabin earlier aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

The coking up can often make the THP engines feel sluggish, but yeah if the revs are going up without an increase in speed then its usually clutch issue

Advertisement