Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viking Marathon

Options
  • 28-06-2014 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭

Have to say a big shout out to Waterford today...

I ran the half Marathon and it was beautiful to run through the city on a day like today, ok maybe a bit too hot, but that I won't complain about.

The city looked great and it was well organised..... nice bit of support for the locals on the road....

This sort of thing is great for the city......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Erasured

Ran the full myself and I must echo your sentiments, big effort by local people throughout the course even on the quieter sections! Finishing on a track was a first for me and very enjoyable.
    My family attended for the finish and they said they found being spectators at the RSC very good, easy access and very friendly marshals.

Well done to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

robtri wrote: »
    Have to say a big shout out to Waterford today...

I ran the half Marathon and it was beautiful to run through the city on a day like today, ok maybe a bit too hot, but that I won't complain about.

The city looked great and it was well organised..... nice bit of support for the locals on the road....

This sort of thing is great for the city......
    you only done the half... the run of shame... oops i shouldnt go there:D.

yeah well done to all of ye, its a massive achievement. The viking is getting very popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TheSouthEast

It's a great event for Waterford and congrats to all involved. BUT, closing the Tramore Road from half six in the morning till two in the afternoon is mad. I understand it's a Saturday but a lot of us (myself included) still have to work and commute to Waterford as normal. Could the route not go a different way?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It's a great event for Waterford and congrats to all involved. BUT, closing the Tramore Road from half six in the morning till two in the afternoon is mad. I understand it's a Saturday but a lot of us (myself included) still have to work and commute to Waterford as normal. Could the route not go a different way?
    Could you not go a different way?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I drove most of it at 9.30am and again at 11.00am on Saturday without any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

A different way to Tramore? Good idea, it just so happens there are several, so if you know that then it means you'll be able to go one of them...!

Did you have to phone work to say you couldn't make it in, or what did you do?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Surprised nobody's mentioned that the Marathon course was short, I've only heard of one person who kept running after the finish line to make up the difference to ensure they ran 26.2miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

It's a disaster alright and no real acknowledgement of it officially. 2nd year in a row for an incorrect measurement, this is why people will stick with the likes of Dublin and cork marathons

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

I have to say I agree. I was a marshall for last year's marathon and it was chaotic trying to get to our station when roads that were meant to be open closed early with not a whiff of a competitor within a mile. Staggered road closures like other city's marathons should be properly done next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭floyd333

It's a disaster alright and no real acknowledgement of it officially. 2nd year in a row for an incorrect measurement, this is why people will stick with the likes of Dublin and cork marathons

Incorrectly measuring the course is a huge no no for a marathon. Doing it 2 years in a row is unforgivable. Serious marathon runners won’t come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

floyd333 wrote: »
    Incorrectly measuring the course is a huge no no for a marathon. Doing it 2 years in a row is unforgivable. Serious marathon runners won’t come back.

The half marathon (from start point to end point) was 13.21 miles (0.10 miles longer). I have no doubt the full marathon was incorrectly measured. It might not sound like a big deal, but to runners it's very frustrating when you have 2 different times.

At least the measurement was better than the LauraLynn Half Million Half Marathon (0.21 miles longer).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

The main issue I found was that the Old Tramore Road roundabout jammed up completely as people blocked it. A garda presence to stop this happening would have helped immensely - I took nearly 40 minutes to get from 6x roads to OT roundabout.

I think it's great to have the marathon but small changes to the organisation would make a big difference. Many people have things to do on a Saturday morning after all.

Advertisement