Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arklow - how's the commute?

• 28-06-2014 5:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

Hows the road commute these days from Arklow to Dublin?

I used to work in Dublin city centre before I drove, so I got the train up and down from Arklow every day and it was a nightmare, took far too long, unreliable, overcrowded, and the times weren't convenient to my working hours.

It was so bad that I packed in the job in the city after 2 years and got something local, based in Arklow. I've been working at that for the last five years now and while the job itself is nothing exciting, there is an awful lot to be said for working 5 mins from home.

There's a bit of trouble with the job at the moment though, things a little unstable so I may need to look at opportunities in the city again. I'm driving now though, so wouldn't need to rely on the trains.

How do people find the drive?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

It depends on the time you are travelling if you can start early and finish early it's ok. At the moment there are some delays with the roadworks but it will take a fair bit off the time once it's sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Gmol wrote: »
    It depends on the time you are travelling if you can start early and finish early it's ok. At the moment there are some delays with the roadworks but it will take a fair bit off the time once it's sorted.

I agree. If you're leaving early you'll miss all the school traffic. I either leave early or late to avoid the heavy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Hard to beat the train especially at this time of year as it passes through undoubtedly the most scenic stretch of railway in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

It will be great once the new motorway is open. At the moment i can get from arklow to exit 13 off the M50 in 35 minutes with a clear run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

What are you driving, a jet?!?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It will be great once the new motorway is open. At the moment i can get from arklow to exit 13 off the M50 in 35 minutes with a clear run

How many penalty points do you have? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭hairyslug

At 630 in the morning, I can get from Arklow to bray in 35min, and there would be a hell of a lot of cars overtaking me, the odd time that I have to get into town (staying off the m50) in gets fairly messy around donnybrook after 745.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

Batesy wrote: »
    What are you driving, a jet?!?
    2011 wrote: »
    How many penalty points do you have? :eek:

In the middle of the night, I can get from Arklow to the red car park at the airport in 50-55 mins or so... and there's no excessive speed in there at all. It all depends what time of the day it is, I'm sure fleet_admiral is probably on the road when it's quiet like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

In the middle of the night, I can get from Arklow to the red car park at the airport in 50-55 mins or so... and there's no excessive speed in there at all. It all depends what time of the day it is, I'm sure fleet_admiral is probably on the road when it's quiet like that?
    yep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

If this is any help, my other half leaves Greystones 7.20 in the morning in winter and gets to Stillorgan about 7.50 / 8.00. it's a very stressful drive.

Leaving after 7.30 is a total non runner.

It's a nightmare. If it rains the roads are gridlocked at a standstill.

Not so bad now in the summer, leaves at 7.40 at stillorgan luas for about 8.00 8.10.

If you can get the train, my advice is to stick with that.
    At least you can work / relax on the train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Any one else finding the n11 evening commute to arklow tough at the moment?

Traffic is regularly backed up before the bee hive. I'm on Bus Eireann and it easily took 45 mins from when the traffic stopped to when it started moving freely again. My bus is scheduled to be in Arklow at 5.45. Granted in reality that's closer to 6 but it was 6.40 before it arrived yesterday.

I presume this is down to the roadworks? Hopefully this isn't going to be the way until the works complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭pansyflower

Traffic was particularly bad Tuesday as there was a sweeper machine slowly cleaning the road surface south of the Beehive at 6pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Any one else finding the n11 evening commute to arklow tough at the moment?

Traffic is regularly backed up before the bee hive. I'm on Bus Eireann and it easily took 45 mins from when the traffic stopped to when it started moving freely again. My bus is scheduled to be in Arklow at 5.45. Granted in reality that's closer to 6 but it was 6.40 before it arrived yesterday.

I presume this is down to the roadworks? Hopefully this isn't going to be the way until the works complete.

Yeah, it's pretty bad alright. There's a lot of trucks coming in and out at the Beehive and that would slow everything down.

Advertisement