Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

audio jacks not detected

Options
  • 28-06-2014 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

interesting problem. i'm running windows 7 on my rig which is 3 yrs old roughly. No issue till i installed a couple of new GTX nvidia cards. I was looking to do sli but while waiting for cable i just used one card.

No issues installed drivers all was fine. Then i put in second card and to my knowledge thats about when this problem happened. I got message in bottom new drivers installed and ready for use then no sound at all. So i went in and took out nvidia sound drivers no joy. Installed new realtek driver no joy. Uninstalled realtek and fresh install no joy. down graded realtech drivers to what i had for year that were fine and still no joy.

Thing is with realtek you will see when you plug in a jack the graphic of it on screen lights up from faded out. I'm not getting that.

Soooo after hours of doing the above enough online digging to that i might have actually found jimmy hoffa i still dont have an answer to my actual problem.

but this morning when i turn on it detects them and i get test screen no sound however and after lets say a few seconds it says they have been unplugged. Now if i sit and what and not touch it this will repeat 5 or 6 times saying you have plugged in audio jack then you have disconnected and after 5 times thats it does not detect any more.

Damn you nvidia. but i cant figure out any answer other then reformatting. Any ideas???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭misterdarkness

If I may add.

I reformatted and reinstated windows 7 from start and still same issue.

Almost giving up I tried on last thing I took gpu out of slot 1 into slot 2 and no sound however when I plugged in hdmi wallop sound coming through tv. Now I see setting to stop hdmi sound if I do I have no sound. If I move gpu to port 1 no sound even via hdmi.

Mind bending but why does a full clean format not reset what invidia has done?

As I cant get sound vua ports on my motherboard what if I install a independent sound card might that fix it? ?

Im glad I've something but id rather my 7.1 surround back again

thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

This may be of no use to you but just in case you overlooked it. When you right click on the sound icon in the task bar (in Windows) it should give you a list of options. Select 'Playback Devices'. You should be presented with a list of all the sound options available on your PC. If some options cant be seen in the list right click in the window and tick 'Show Disabled Devices'. You can also disable/enable recording options from this panel. Make sure you configure the sound option you select so that you get full 7.1 sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭misterdarkness

thanks for the tip that was probably first thing i tried :) in my years of pc building this is the oddest thing ive come across but im going to try a sound card to see if that will fix it.

I'm thinking m/board is a few years old the sudden input of 2 cards my have caused a short somewhere hence why it detects then does not detect at total random points. now its not detecting at all and a full reformat did not fix it which should be the nuclear option of solving everything.

Advertisement