Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured Bird (Hit a Window in the House). Help Appreciated.

• 28-06-2014 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

Evening all....

This afternoon a small bird hit our sitting room window. I left the bird where it landed for a while to see if it would recover but it just lay there breathing quite quickly.

I took the bird in and put in a dark box as I thought it might be stunned and maybe take a while to come out of it. Unfortunately the bird is not looking great. Definitely perked up since this afternoon and I've managed giving it some tepid water through a syringe.

It seems it can flap it's wings ok as I brought it outside just now to see if it could fly away. Unfortunately it just seems to flap around in circles on the ground (always counter clockwise / left). It can't stand up for itself either but will happily sit in my hands. In the photo you can see that it just lies there, doesn't seem to be able to hold it's head up too well either.

When I open the box it flaps around for a bit but can't pick itself up.

Any ideas on what I can do? Does it have any hope?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

SachaJ wrote: »
    Evening all....

This afternoon a small bird hit our sitting room window. I left the bird where it landed for a while to see if it would recover but it just lay there breathing quite quickly.

I took the bird in and put in a dark box as I thought it might be stunned and maybe take a while to come out of it. Unfortunately the bird is not looking great. Definitely perked up since this afternoon and I've managed giving it some tepid water through a syringe.

It seems it can flap it's wings ok as I brought it outside just now to see if it could fly away. Unfortunately it just seems to flap around in circles on the ground (always counter clockwise / left). It can't stand up for itself either but will happily sit in my hands. In the photo you can see that it just lies there, doesn't seem to be able to hold it's head up too well either.

When I open the box it flaps around for a bit but can't pick itself up.

Any ideas on what I can do? Does it have any hope?

Looks like its a house sparrow. Give it a little more time as it may be stunned. It doesn't look great does it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Fair play. It'd be dead by now if he was too bad I think. How long ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Fair play. It'd be dead by now if he was too bad I think. How long ago?

Think it happened when I had the kids down for their nap, so I reckon between 2pm and 3pm. Seems to be happily talking the water from the syringe and I threw a few cornflakes in if it could eat something (we ran out of bird seed).

I'd imagine you're doing most of what anybody could in this case. If he makes to morning you'll know better, maybe make a better decision then :-( I'm no expert just love birds.

Srameen's the man for this I think.

I'll try it with more water before I go to bed and see how it is in the morning. Should I mix anything with the water? A little sugar or anything like that?

• Advertisement

Can't see how it would do any harm. Out of reach of cats too I'm sure you've thought of that :-)

Can't see how it would do any harm. Out of reach of cats too I'm sure you've thought of that :-)

I did and I have two tom's who are partial to rats so I've made sure they are well away.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Little birdy doesn't look good OP, but fair play to you for trying to help him anyway :o
    Here's a link to a super site that gives you some idea what to do if you find an injured bird, what to feed it, how to look after it etc until you get more expert help for it. It may be of some help if the bird survives the night:
    http://www.irishwildlifematters.ie/animals/birds.html

It does look like a sparrow alright, but could also maybe be a juvenile robin, I just can't see the beak properly to be able to tell! A robin has a slim beak, a sparrow's is somewhat chunkier.

PS After another look at the photo, I think it's a sparrow :-)
    It's important as it dictates what you should be trying to feed it.
    Good luck!

OK, took a couple of videos of the little lad this morning. In much better form, more active but still has that constant veer to the left. I'll try with some bird seed this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Both videos are private.

Anyway, best of luck with the little bird!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement

VonVix wrote: »
    Both videos are private.

Anyway, best of luck with the little bird!

Thanks for that. Should be public now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

With the constant head turn to the left I'd suspect that he has a head injury of some kind. Keep him warm and fed and hopefully he'll get better on his own.

I think you need to hand the little lady over to someone with expertise here op, whether that be a vet or a registered wildlife rehabilitator.
    She looks to have spinal and/or neurological damage, hence the moving in circles, head twitching, and body curvature, and is suffering.
    She will also be extremely stressed by being in close proximity and handling by humans.
    Sorry to be negative, but she can't just be left asshe is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

From what I read the little bird may have concussion ("Some birds remain conscious after a collision but are not able to fly or tumble on the floor. It's also possible that they convulse, show sudden palsies or twitches. Often birds turn their heads about 180 degrees or even move in circles; sometimes the wings are dropped. All these symptoms can be observed in case a bird suffers from a medium grade concussion."), but yeah, I don't have the knowledge/qualifications to say that's accurate from looking at your videos. I agree with DBB, I think you need to try and get this little one to someone who can give it the best chance with their experience with birds.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Yep I agree. I'll have a look around the general area (Drogheda) and see if there's anyone that could take the bird. Thanks for all the help.

Have the bird in a bigger box now with bird seed and water.

SachaJ wrote: »
    Yep I agree. I'll have a look around the general area (Drogheda) and see if there's anyone that could take the bird. Thanks for all the help.

Have the bird in a bigger box now with bird seed and water.

The girl who runs the website I linked you to is in Duleek.
    I'll see can I dig out her number though it should be up on the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

How is the bird now? Judging by feathers it is a juvenile Sparrow.

It does look like it has fairly serious injuries though.

Advertisement