Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

License for Trike.

• 28-06-2014 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

What kind of Driving License do I need to Drive a Trike. Also, is Carole Nash the only Incurance Company in the country that will insure a Trike? Thanks in Advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Car license

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

Depends when you got your full Car licence:
    From NDLS:
    Tricycle:  Where a person had an entitlement to the category B  full licence prior to 19 January 2013 that also covered them to ride tricycles. They still retain that entitlement. All first full Licences issued for the category B from 19 January 2013 would not have this entitlement and therefore they must take out the appropriate Bike category to ride a trike. The appropriate bike category will depend on the CC of the Tricycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

So I can drive a trike on my car license............ would that cover those Yamaha Tricity things?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Seaniemac

I have a Full Car License since 1980 but in February of last year I had to have it Amended to say that I Wore a Prosthetic Leg and that i can only drive a vehicle that is adapted for my disability. would this license still cover me for the Trike??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Seaniemac wrote: »
    I have a Full Car License since 1980 but in February of last year I had to have it Amended to say that I Wore a Prosthetic Leg and that i can only drive a vehicle that is adapted for my disability. would this license still cover me for the Trike??

Probably best to fire off an email to RSA, they should be able to help you out. That way you can print it off and stick it in your license just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    Probably best to fire off an email to RSA, they should be able to help you out. That way you can print it off and stick it in your license just in case.

Agreed
    I was under the impression any vehicle with less than 4 wheels was considered a motorcycle

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

is it a trike based on a beetle chassis ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Oh you’re talking about those old trikes made out of VW bugs back in the 70’s
    I was thinking about the new ones based on Hondas and Harleys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

Agreed
    I was under the impression any vehicle with less than 4 wheels was considered a motorcycle

They have only come under motorcycle licenses since January 2013, hence the reason why people who held/hold a full car license issued before that date can ride a trike on a car license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

Motorcycle engine based trike = motorcycle license

Car engine based trike = car license

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

There are many 'car' engined bikes around, does that mean you can ride a V8 engined bike with a car license?

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

bladespin wrote: »
    There are many 'car' engined bikes around, does that mean you can ride a V8 engined bike with a car license?
    Yes as far as I'm aware

What I had in mind was a Harley Davidson Trike. Either Factory made or Converted by one of the Custom bike workshops around the country.

What I had in mind was a Harley Davidson Trike. Either Factory made or Converted by one of the Custom bike workshops around the country.
    These are the guys you need to talk to http://www.trikeshop.co.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Yes as far as I'm aware

Jesus wept, imagine jumping on a hoss without ever having even ridden a moped.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Well if you really want it, and it requires a bike license, just get a learner permit and do the IBT :cool:

Well if you really want it, and it requires a bike license, just get a learner permit and do the IBT :cool:

The IBT wouldn`t really be an option for me because I can`t ride a Motorcycle now because of the Above knee prosthesis....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,384 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nope.

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    Nope.

What do you think ninja900?? Is it a car license or Bike license????

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

When I checked a few years ago, the motor tax office, who then issued the licences, said you had to have a car licence. The insurers (usually bike insurers) required you to have a bike licence and a car licence at least one of which should be full. So regardless of what the rsa say, the insurer may have their own criteria.

And theres also the other question that always crops up - do you wear a helmet....

• Advertisement

What do you think ninja900?? Is it a car license or Bike license????

NDLS answer already posted on the thread.

Scrap the cap!

The IBT wouldn`t really be an option for me because I can`t ride a Motorcycle now because of the Above knee prosthesis....

Ah...... that would throw a spanner in the works alright. Though I would assume if you need a bike license then the IBT would have to be available on a trike too.

Ah...... that would throw a spanner in the works alright. Though I would assume if you need a bike license then the IBT would have to be available on a trike too.

And the test.

Oryx wrote: »
    When I checked a few years ago, the motor tax office, who then issued the licences, said you had to have a car licence. The insurers (usually bike insurers) required you to have a bike licence and a car licence at least one of which should be full. So regardless of what the rsa say, the insurer may have their own criteria.

I don't see how, to insure a vehicle of one class, they could require you to have a licence of another class. If you are legal to drive the insured vehicle they have no right to require anything else of you.

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    I don't see how, to insure a vehicle of one class, they could require you to have a licence of another class. If you are legal to drive the insured vehicle they have no right to require anything else of you.
    They were bike based trikes.

Advertisement