Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fed-up being a landlord/time to sell?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

I hate to burst your bubble, but there is no such country as "Africa"...

I never mentioned race...you did.

I don't care about a prospective tenant's skin colour...just that they tick other boxes.

Yes, Larry, I know Africa is a continent and not a country.

But all the same, you seemed to have ruled the entire continent out.

Would you accept tenants who originated from Africa, or would you not, as you've already stated by limiting those from foreign climes, who you would be willing to accept, to western Europe, the British Isles, and North America.

If you wouldn't, tell us why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

dolliemix wrote: »
    Of course Im wondering why...and there always is two sides to the story where tenants landlords are concerned.
    For sure there's always two sides to a story - and I can understand completely you wondering but we can only deal with whats actually presented.
    I genuinely think the OP should have invested in a shower / bathroom where the water would not be flowing onto the bathroom floor so easily. A flimsy shower curtain is not the answer. If the roof fell in once - i really dont think she should have been relying on a shower curtain to stop the damage happening again.

Why could she not spend a bit of money on a shower with a higher rim?!! Its not rocket science. Yeah it might cost her a bit more money but worth it long term. And the roof would not have fallen in twice.
    I agree - there may well be a more effective solution. However, how many million shower curtains are in use on the planet? A higher 'rim' doesn't make a blind bit of difference if the curtain itself is not pulled across. You think a person doesn't know how to use a shower curtain? You think that when water is allowed to escape (purposely or otherwise), there is anyone who doesn't have the intellect to know that this is going to lead to major problems?
    Should people take personal responsibility for their actions? Should they be made to take personal responsibility for their actions?
    Do you have a problem with the PRTB protecting tenant's and landlord's rights?
    I have no issue whatsoever with a body protecting both landlords and tenants rights. However, you will find a tonne of threads in this section of the forum showing just how badly the PRTB actually functions and how it can be manipulated largely (but by no means exclusively) by tenants.
    beauf wrote:
    Some of the views expressed are probably against the boards rules, and have nothing to do with the original query.
    Perhaps - but tiresome as it may be, the views expressed are likely to be found amongst the renting populace - and therefore by default, it's all very relevant to the OP - in their reaching a decision.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Yes, Larry, I know Africa is a continent and not a country.

But all the same, you seemed to have ruled the entire continent out.

Would you accept tenants who originated from Africa, or would you not, as you've already stated by limiting those from foreign climes, who you would be willing to accept, to western Europe, the British Isles, and North America.

If you wouldn't, tell us why?

You seem to have a weird agenda and a wish to bring race into it when nobody's even mentioned it.

I didn't mention Australia or South America either. Or Asia.

You also seem to be ignorant regarding Africa and its people, who include Arabic people, black people, white people and people of Indian extraction to name but a few.

But I'll dumb it down for you and answer the bizarre question that I think you want answered - Yes, I would happily rent a property to a black African person, subject to my other criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Okay...

So you want stats to back up the contention that a landlord is more likely to have more issues with a skint jobless working class rent supplement recipient than a middle class professional?

Right...

What else do you want - Proof that the sun rises in the east?

Nope, but I would like you to provide evidence to support your claims.

If someone is renting a property on rent allowance, it is because they can afford it. "Class" really hasn't got anything to do with it, unless of course, you attribute certain behaviours to different "classes"

An individual's socio economic status says nothing about how they will maintain standards in a property they live in. In fact, I've seen so called "yuppies" trash other peoples houses. So yes, I would like stats to back up your argument that individuals of a lower " class" are more likely to do so.

I think the fact that you divide and split people into sub-categories says a lot more about you than the people you look down upon

But I'll dumb it down for you and answer the bizarre question that I think you want answered - Yes, I would happily rent a property to a black African person, subject to my other criteria.

I am relieved Larry, I am relieved.

This is like the Fr Ted episode, where everybody thought Ted was a racist.

You're not a racist, are you.

• Advertisement

I am relieved Larry, I am relieved.

This is like the Fr Ted episode, where everybody thought Ted was a racist.

You're not a racist, are you.

Nope, he has wisely and prudently put out areas which are not covered by the discrimination act:):)

dar100 wrote: »
    If someone is renting a property on rent allowance, it is because they can afford it

I think you'll find that it's because they can't afford it.

As for your ludicrous contention that anti social behaviour and a lack of respect for property is more prevalent among educated professionals...well the less said about that the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...If someone is renting a property on rent allowance, it is because they can afford it. ...

....Because the Govt can afford it....

The rental allowance system is not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Hannaho

Re screen I didn't install one as I figured they could leave that open too. A 6 x8 foot ceiling does not fall down becaues there are a few splashes of water after a shower. The plumber said this could only happen if they left the shower curtain completely open all the time.

PRTB - tenants seem to threaten it on a whim these days. The tenants whose lease I did not renew wanted to take a case against me because my property was vacant six months later.

Re sitting on my 'arse' childrearing - I am a front line wporker in HSE and a single parent.

....Perhaps - but tiresome as it may be, the views expressed are likely to be found amongst the renting populace - and therefore by default, it's all very relevant to the OP - in their reaching a decision.

A lot of the views expressed are actually factually wrong. It would be ill advised to base a decision on much of it.

• Advertisement

I think you'll find that it's because they can't afford it.

As for your ludicrous contention that anti social behaviour and a lack of respect for property is more prevalent among educated professionals...well the less said about that the better.

No, actually they can afford it because they are entitled to the payment, you know so they don't have to sleep on the street.

Once again you show your narrow mind, a persons educational attainment says absolutely nothing about their personal standards.

Also when I say anti- social behaviour, I'm speaking in relative terms. I would consider ghost housing estates, the banking system, the ethics of the "elite" to be anti- social. So yeah maybe you shouldn't mention it, you wouldn't be the first to want to protect the status quo

No, actually they can afford it because they are entitled to the payment, you know so they don't have to sleep on the street.

Once again you show your narrow mind, a persons educational attainment says absolutely nothing about their personal standards.

Also when I say anti- social behaviour, I'm speaking in relative terms. I would consider ghost housing estates, the banking system, the ethics of the "elite" to be anti- social. So yeah maybe you shouldn't mention it, you wouldn't be the first to want to protect the status quo

Which of these two groups would you expect anti social behaviour to be more prevalent amongst?

- Educated professionals

- Uneducated rent supplement recipents

Put another way, if we take 100 educated professionals and 100 uneducated rent supplement recipients, which group would you expect to have the higher rate of anti social behaviour?

beauf wrote: »
    A lot of the views expressed are actually factually wrong.
    By all means, point them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

[quote="makeorbrake;91051472"

You think a person doesn't know how to use a shower curtain? You think that when water is allowed to escape (purposely or otherwise), there is anyone who doesn't have the intellect to know that this is going to lead to major problems?
    Should people take personal responsibility for their actions? Should they be made to take personal responsibility for their actions?

[/quote]

This is exactly why I am dubious about OP's side of the story.

I find it bizarre that anyone would shower without closing the shower curtain. It leaves the floor completely wet and dangerous. It means you end up using way more towels than necessary.

But hey thanks for the condescending tone towards me . I don't agree with you. Im not convinced the OP is telling us the whole story . It doesn't mean I'm naive or stupid! Most decent apatments/ houses for rent nowadays don't have shower curtains. They have screen doors. Personally I hate shower curtains. They stick to you. If I were renting I'd ask for a screen door. ( or a new bathroon 😆) but how dare i as a rent payer ask to improve a dangerous situation!!!!

OP if you continue to rent I think you should consider investing in a screen door and find some normal tenants who will close it and wont ruin your roof.

Or just sell up!!! You dont enjoy it. You don't need it. Life's too short

Which of these two groups would you expect anti social behaviour to be more prevalent amongst?

- Educated professionals

- Uneducated rent supplement recipents

Put another way, if we take 100 educated professionals and 100 uneducated rent supplement recipients, which group would you expect to have the higher rate of anti social behaviour?

Why does a rent supplement recipient have to be " uneducated" your just full of pre- judgements Larry.

It is the so called "educated professionals" that have us in the mess we are presently in. You now, there is a theory that a high proportion of people in power are actually psychopaths? And the DSM uses Anti-Social Personality Disorder to describe this PD. Your utilising anti- social in a very narrow way, believe me, educated twats are some of the worst offenders, they just act anti- social in a way that doesn't fit your view of the behaviour

Hannaho wrote: »
    Re screen I didn't install one as I figured they could leave that open too.

So you kept them on as tenants aware that this would likely be an issue again...and a dangerous issue at that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭vetinari

I'd say sell up OP.
    Nothing wrong with finding that being a Landlord is not for you.

Btw where's the modding on this thread
    dolliemix is surely trolling.

vetinari wrote: »
    I'd say sell up OP.
    Nothing wrong with finding that being a Landlord is not for you.

Btw where's the modding on this thread
    dolliemix is surely trolling.

No! Why?

By all means, point them out.

From your comments. You don't need any of this pointing out.

If Someone has experience of the issues, they won't need them pointed out. If they have no experience, they won't understand the significance even if they are pointed out. If someone is here to rant with little basis in reality, they'll ignore logic and facts anyway.

This is exactly why I am dubious about OP's side of the story.
    I find it bizarre that anyone would shower without closing the shower curtain. It leaves the floor completely wet and dangerous. It means you end up using way more towels than necessary.
    I guess you're not a rogue tenant then - clearly, we are not talking about a 'normal' tenant.
    But hey thanks for the condescending tone towards me .
    condescension? I've re-read what I'd written and I don't see it. This is a discussion board - I'm simply expressing my view - as you do yours. Condescension doesn't come into it.
    Im not convinced the OP is telling us the whole story.
    That may well be - but surely we can only discuss whats established?
    It doesn't mean I'm naive or stupid!
    The only one using the terms 'naive' or 'stupid' here has been you (just in case you are suggesting I inferred this -as I did no such thing).
    Most decent apartments/ houses for rent nowadays don't have shower curtains. They have screen doors. Personally I hate shower curtains. They stick to you. If I were renting I'd ask for a screen door. ( or a new bathroon 😆)
    I don't much like them myself but it hardly forms the basis to deem a property to be sub standard.
    but how dare i as a rent payer ask to improve a dangerous situation!!!!
    Firstly, there is NO dangerous situation unless through misuse - and personal responsibility has to come into play somewhere! Secondly, if we are to take the OP at their word, it appears that she was dealing with errant tenants. Would you - as a landlord - be amenable to satisifying the demands of a tenant that had already caused damages in a four figure amount through their deliberate actions?

• Advertisement

Secondly, if we are to take the OP at their word,

I'm not sure. You know people who complain about things - and don't just get on with it. I wouldn't say lying, but they might be making mountains out of molehills.
    it appears that she was dealing with errant tenants. Would you - as a landlord - be amenable to satisifying the demands of a tenant that had already caused damages in a four figure amount through their deliberate actions?

Fine, if it happened the first time, she should maybe have put a door on the shower. But the second time, I'm beginning to wonder.

And I'm beginning to wonder, what kind of person has a shower with the curtain open - that's kind of cold....someone who doesn't mind the breeze.

I'll tell you maybe what the story is. A crap shower curtain; like mine - which was a botched put up one by my cheap landlord - I have to use a broom stick to hold it in while I'm having a shower, or I get a big puddle on the bathroom floor - because the shower was a real "ah sure begorra, it'll do" job. That is my landlords fault. It's not that I like my landlord, but if I really didn't like my landlord, I might not bother with the broom.

I guess you're not a rogue tenant then - clearly, we are not talking about a 'normal' tenant.

condescension? I've re-read what I'd written and I don't see it. This is a discussion board - I'm simply expressing my view - as you do yours. Condescension doesn't come into it.

That may well be - but surely we can only discuss whats established?

The only one using the terms 'naive' or 'stupid' here has been you (just in case you are suggesting I inferred this -as I did no such thing).

I don't much like them myself but it hardly forms the basis to deem a property to be sub standard.

Firstly, there is NO dangerous situation unless through misuse - and personal responsibility has to come into play somewhere! Secondly, if we are to take the OP at their word, it appears that she was dealing with errant tenants. Would you - as a landlord - be amenable to satisifying the demands of a tenant that had already caused damages in a four figure amount through their deliberate actions?

Ok took up your tone wrongly. Sorry.

Falling roofs are dangerous!!! Absolutely if the tenants were not using the shower curtain, they deserved to have the roof fall on them or them fall through the roof. And if this is the case OP should have shot clear of them from the first incident.

I dont think its fair of the OP to defend herself with the attitude that 'tenants often threaten PRTB on a whim' when I asked why they had threatened her. It shows her disrespect towards tenants in general. And that is the message i have sensed from her. I don't like that attitude. I dont think she should be a landlady if that is the case. Each PRTB case is different and should be heard out and not all tenants threaten at a ' whim'. Sometimes there just is no resolution so both parties need to just move on. This seems to be the case with OP.

Im leaving this discussion because its clear what I think . I am most definitely not trolling. I wish the OP good luck with whatever decision she makes.

Ok took up your tone wrongly. Sorry.
    No offence caused so no apology necessary. Just be mindful that it's very difficult to interpret a 'tone' by way of comments made on a discussion board. ;)

dolliemix wrote:
    Falling roofs are dangerous!!! Absolutely if the tenants were not using the shower curtain, they deserved to have the roof fall on them or them fall through the roof. And if this is the case OP should have shot clear of them from the first incident.
    Agree completely.

dolliemix wrote:
    I dont think its fair of the OP to defend herself with the attitude that 'tenants often threaten PRTB on a whim' when I asked why they had threatened her. It shows her disrespect towards tenants in general. And that is the message i have sensed from her. I don't like that attitude. I dont she should be a landlady if that is th case. Each PRTB case is different and should be heard out and not all tenants threaten at a ' whim'.
    I think it's very plausable. There is a tonne of evidence to support that by way of previous threads in this section of the forum. I understand that every case is individual and we are all susceptible to be blinded by past experiences or stereotyping, etc. I don't think you could go so far as to say that she shows 'her disrespect towards tenants in general'. Perhaps her view is coloured by past experience and I don't think you could blame her for that.

@Labarbapostiza: As previously, I maintain that what you're posting is trollable nonsense and won't be responding :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Dredd_J

OP,
    Why dont you get an agent to manage the property.
    You can easily get full management service for 8 - 10% of the rent.
    Just have them run any spending on repairs etc, by you for your approval.
    That way you will hardly ever hear from them, your property will be managed, and the mortgage will be paid.
    You just need to do your accounts once a year, when that 8 - 10% of the rent becomes 4 - 5%.

Give it to an agent and forget about it.

Dredd_J wrote: »
    OP,
    Why dont you get an agent to manage the property.
    You can easily get full management service for 8 - 10% of the rent.
    Just have them run any spending on repairs etc, by you for your approval.
    That way you will hardly ever hear from them, your property will be managed, and the mortgage will be paid.
    You just need to do your accounts once a year, when that 8 - 10% of the rent becomes 4 - 5%.

Give it to an agent and forget about it.

+1

That's what I do - Worth every penny and fully deductible so the actual cost is less than half of the headline cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'll tell you maybe what the story is. A crap shower curtain; like mine - which was a botched put up one by my cheap landlord - I have to use a broom stick to hold it in while I'm having a shower, or I get a big puddle on the bathroom floor - because the shower was a real "ah sure begorra, it'll do" job. That is my landlords fault. It's not that I like my landlord, but if I really didn't like my landlord, I might not bother with the broom.

Do you expect your landlord to wipe your arse for you as well?

Just tell him/her it's not up to it, and you'd like to put in a new one, check is that ok. Put in the new shower curtain yourself and bill for it. Jaysus like. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I know what hard earned money looks like, and I wouldn't begrudge any man it. But I know what sponging looks like too. And yes indeed, I'd have to say, I begrudge the spongers their sponge.
    Yeah sure aren't those sponging farmers with their CAP payments for leaving fields idle the biggest spongers of all :pac:

... Falling roofs are dangerous!!! Absolutely if the tenants were not using the shower curtain, they deserved to have the roof fall on them or them fall through the roof. And if this is the case OP should have shot clear of them from the first incident. ...

Its not a roof. Its a ceiling. Different thing entirely. There's a floor and joists above it. A ceiling is not going to fail completely unless there was a massive weight of water that comes on it suddenly. If its a slow gradual leak from something like the shower curtain, or similar. It would have stained the roof very badly before failing. It would have been obvious for months. If it happened once it could be an accident.

beauf wrote: »
    Its not a roof. Its a ceiling. Different thing entirely. There's a floor and joists above it. A ceiling is not going to fail completely unless there was a massive weight of water that comes on it suddenly. If its a slow gradual leak from something like the shower curtain, or similar. It would have stained the roof very badly before failing. It would have been obvious for months. If it happened once it could be an accident.

Sorry ceiling. Of course i know the difference. You're trying to prove me wrong more so than give advice to the OP. I hear what you're saying and still don't agree with you. In the end we both feel she should give up being a landlady which is her query, so who cares whether you think my opinion is wrong or right!

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    Do you expect your landlord to wipe your arse for you as well?

I have my doubts he could wipe his own arse let alone mine.
    Just tell him/her it's not up to it, and you'd like to put in a new one, check
    is that ok. Put in the new shower curtain yourself and bill for it. Jaysus like.
    :rolleyes:

It's not the shower curtain, it's where the holder is - the cowboy who slapped it up, did it so the curtain hangs over the lip of the shower base, it should be a few inches inside of the base lip. My landlord has several properties - he's found out the hard way, the true cost of cowboys. Ireland is full of "plumbers" and "handy men" - if your ceiling falls in it's usually your own cheapness at fault.

Advertisement