Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hair falling out

Options
  • 28-06-2014 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭

Anyone any tips for hair falling out? My little ones 10 weeks old and it started falling out a week ago.. I've long hair (few inches above my bum) wondering do I need it cut up or will it help even

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Apparently when you are pregnant you don't shed hair like normal and a few weeks after birth you loose all the hair you should have lost while pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

My lo is 9 months now and I'm still losing hair :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pasty

It will all grow back, its a hormonal thing. But do treat it gently, don't massage it too deeply when washing it. Use a small blob of shampoo and don't wash it twice. Also use a light spray-in leave in conditioner and a wide toothed comb. Stay away from hot hair dryers and straighteners. In other words, let it rest a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I washed my hair no more than twice a week and always tied it up. I also let it dry naturally rather than use a hair dryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

After my first I had so many short hairs around my face once they started growing back. Hated it! I've been tying it up to minimise the hair all around the house

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

O god I lost soooo much hair after my first (seemed to happen when I stopped breast feeding). My hairdresser recommended for me to take "silica". Apparently it's really good for hair thinning. I didnt take it tho so couldn't tell you if it works or not. I got a half head if extensions put it tho.,,, lol... As I was getting married a couple months later and didnt want to be bald for my wedding! Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I recommend going to the hairdresser! If anyone is in dublin there is the most amazing hairdresser called Eddie in perceptions, now in terenure http://www.goldenpages.ie/perceptions-dublin-D6W/
    but moved from lower kilmacud road goatstown/stillorgan. He literally has magic hands! He cut my hair after I had the baby (I was losing so so so much hair) and it actually is so so thick now and so long. Think so thick a clip won't hold it up. Honestly I am not joking. My friend went to him years and years ago (didn't have baby) and again hair actually looked longer after hair cut. He is pricey maybe €70ish for a cut but seriously one word amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Some people get it worse than others. I get it pretty badly, currently have bald patches, and it's still coming out in handfuls. I have very thick hair normally though.

It all comes back, albeit in really annoying way, like having a second underlying layer of hair that is a different length to the rest. This makes the new hair really really thick feeling after a bit. It eventually catches up and evens out. I'm convinced this is why so many women end up with a "mammy haircut" of fairly short hair... To hide this.

You have much longer hair than me... Mine is about shoulder length, so it's going to seem like a LOT of hair.

I spoke to the GP about it on the last pregnancy, she said it was hormonal, and going back on the pill might ease it slightly. I did that, but it made no difference for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Millem wrote: »
    I recommend going to the hairdresser! If anyone is in dublin there is the most amazing hairdresser called Eddie in perceptions, now in terenure http://www.goldenpages.ie/perceptions-dublin-D6W/
    but moved from lower kilmacud road goatstown/stillorgan. He literally has magic hands! He cut my hair after I had the baby (I was losing so so so much hair) and it actually is so so thick now and so long. Think so thick a clip won't hold it up. Honestly I am not joking. My friend went to him years and years ago (didn't have baby) and again hair actually looked longer after hair cut. He is pricey maybe €70ish for a cut but seriously one word amazing.

I might look him up Millem! My hair is still good and thick now after number 2 but if say will all fall out after I wean little madam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I might look him up Millem! My hair is still good and thick now after number 2 but if say will all fall out after I wean little madam.

Omg to seriously I am not joking magic hands. Only get him to cut it as he is the best. Everyone is telling me how thick my hair is (even though it is still shedding)! He only cuts so if you want colour and cut, someone else colours it and he cuts it. He owns it, it does tv work too. You get ages out of his haircuts too. The day after I got my hair cut with him we got our professional family photos done and seriously my hair was unreal even though I didn't have time that morning to do anything with it as we were super rushed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Nioxin shampoo is meant to be great, my sister used it after her hair fell out after her 2nd baby. Pricey though. I'm the same, I currently have super annoying wispy little curls all around my hairline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Breastfeeding makes feck all difference here! I was left with bald patches last time my hairdresser refused to touch my hair for a few months because she needed to see how she was going to cut it to hide the patches: and it s just as bad coming out this time! Think receding hairline! In fairness mine is partly caused by thyroid going bananas too, hormonal fun ;)

I ditched the hair straighteners, leave it dry naturally, wash it less, use dry hair shampoo and don't your it to tightly. No idea if it helped but it was in fab condition before I got pregnant again !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Millem wrote: »

He's my hairdresser too. I agree he is amazing, I have really unruly hair that grows quickly and I always get a decent amount of time out of a cut from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

My LO is 7 months and I'm still losing handfuls of hair :eek: but I have underactive thyroid which isn't helping matters! And LO keeps pulling at the little I have left LOL. I've just decided not to wash it too much and keep it tied back. Heard that the supplement biotin is supposed to be good but can't be taken while bf'ing :rolleyes: Would love to have my pregnancy hair back, it never looked as good :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I loved my pregnancy hair... It looked like I'd been to the hairdressers every day.

After both pregnancies mine fell out from 2-6 months. The shower was disgusting after I washed it and there'd be a carpet of hair on the floor if I blow dried it. That's why I used to just tie it back. Thankfully it was summer so it was easier.

I've still got a certain amount of hair loss and it can be worse at different times in the month so I guess it's still hormonal.

I treated myself to a kerastase shampoo and conditioning treatment and they make such a difference.

Advertisement