Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking your company car to France on the ferry?

Options
  • 29-06-2014 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all, I'm looking into a holiday in France via car ferry, but I drive a company car. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of this before I approach my employer about it.

According to most stuff I've read, you are required to have a the Vehicle Registration documents for the car with you in France (original, not a copy). As it's a company car, I don't have this as I don't own the car. Has anyone found a way to deal with this issue? I'm considering getting a letter on headed paper from the company, but I don't know if that's sufficient.

There is some good info on the subject on the AA and Brittany Ferries' websites, but they don't address the ownership issue with company cars.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I had it on my lay transport job. Had to give the docs to the driver and inform the insurance company as some policies are restricted.
    If you go make sure you have all the required safety gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

ml77 wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm looking into a holiday in France via car ferry, but I drive a company car. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of this before I approach my employer about it.

According to most stuff I've read, you are required to have a the Vehicle Registration documents for the car with you in France (original, not a copy). As it's a company car, I don't have this as I don't own the car. Has anyone found a way to deal with this issue? I'm considering getting a letter on headed paper from the company, but I don't know if that's sufficient.

There is some good info on the subject on the AA and Brittany Ferries' websites, but they don't address the ownership issue with company cars.

Thanks!

The ferry won't care, all they check when you arrive is the plate number.

Lease cars on the continent are very common, you won't have an issue, just make sure you have the correct items for each country.

E.G. Breathalyser for France and luminous jacket/breakdown triangle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ml77

Thanks All,
    My main worry here is if I get stopped by the police in France and they ask for registration docs. I've read on the Brittany Ferries site, and others that you're required to have it if they stop you. I already have everything else, bar the breathalyser, and the insurance wont be a problem.
    I cant post links for some reason here, but check out the "Ports & Guides / Driving in France" section of Brittany Ferries' website. - "Vehicle Registration document required - YES"
    I'm just wondering what I need to get from the lease company so that I wont end up on the wrong end of the law there. I'm led to believe they're fairly by the book over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, I have never even been asked to show my passport when driving off the ferry in France, I'd take that stuff about the registration document with a large grain of salt. I find that too much 'research' on topics like this can lead to heightened levels of stress and I've never heard of French police taking cars from tourists because they didn't have the registration document with them.

The AA website for country-specific information has a PDF you can download for France and there is no mention of a requirement to carry the registration document.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/countrybycountry.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

ml77 wrote: »
    Thanks All,
    My main worry here is if I get stopped by the police in France and they ask for registration docs. I've read on the Brittany Ferries site, and others that you're required to have it if they stop you. I already have everything else, bar the breathalyser, and the insurance wont be a problem.
    I cant post links for some reason here, but check out the "Ports & Guides / Driving in France" section of Brittany Ferries' website. - "Vehicle Registration document required - YES"
    I'm just wondering what I need to get from the lease company so that I wont end up on the wrong end of the law there. I'm led to believe they're fairly by the book over there.

In reality if you do nothing wrong then you will not have a problem.

If you get a fine the police need to know where to send it to and here is the confusion because the car is not on your name.

E.G. for Dutch Lease cars, its not a problem inside the Schengen area, outside (Ireland/UK/Turkey/Morocco) you need to have a letter.

Should be something like:
    • The name of the driver of the car
    • Details of the lease
    • The period during which the authorization is valid
    • The authorization is also written in Dutch, English, French and German

No harm in asking the lease company for it anyway.

IMO as long as you are an Irish person driving an Irish lease car you are 'ok'

If you were not Irish driving an Irish lease car then they will usually dig a bit deeper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement