Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to contain a cat

• 29-06-2014 9:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭

Background, my father has a bad habit of collecting strays. They arrive, he feeds them and they hang around.

We have rehomed a few via local charity/pet rescue groups but one was such a friendly Chao that he stayed with my father for a few years. Unfortunately my father being a typical old farmer, he doesnt take much care or attention for the cat and as such the poor moggy got into quite poor condition. Had mites and cost flu.

So, we adopted him ourselves. (the cat, not my Dad). Cleaned him up, had him neutered and chipped, restored him to health, and he is now a very happy healthy (and a bit fat) cat.

As he is about 6 years old and just moved house, we are reluctant to let him roam freely. This doesn't trouble him, as he is very happy to be a house cat. When we are at work he has a room to himself with an assortment of toys and stuff to climb on, when we come home in the evening he comes into the house with us for the night.

However when we are home, we will often spend a fair bit of time outside. Throwing balls for the dogs etc or just chilling outside when the weather is good. At times like this, the cat wanders around freely outside, but this means we have to watch him like a hawk in case he goes outside the gate or over the fence. Growing up I had a cat who was free to roam where he pleased, but I'm less keen to let this guy do this in case he doesn't return, or gets mashed on the road.

I've had suggestions of one of those petsafe fences, but I'm not sure about how humane these are, although a few neighbours use them with great effect and their dogs seem fine with them.

Any alternatives or suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

kylith wrote: »
    Lol, no thanks.

He's a daft sod. It's not like he's itching to get out all the time, usually when we're out he just follows us around and rolls around the ground on occasion.

But a few times he has taken a rush of blood to the head and bolts.

It's a large rural property btw. About 3/4 of an acre. 6ft fence around 2 sides, 3ft fence on one, 3ft wall to the front.

But even the 6ft ones could be climbed if he wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Lol, no thanks.

He's a daft sod. It's not like he's itching to get out all the time, usually when we're out he just follows us around and rolls around the ground on occasion.

But a few times he has taken a rush of blood to the head and bolts.

Well that's the kind of thing you'll need unless you want to try a shock collar, which I would consider inhumane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

If he's happy there he'll return if he wants to roam and you keep refusing him he'll get annoyed about it.. Usually they go off to find a nice spot to lie down in.. They sleep 20 hours a day and find it hard with people around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

You could attach piping to the fence, no grip for the cat if he tries to climb over it. Would be a bit cheaper than the specific cat fences

roll.jpg

Side_Fence.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

The trick I have with my guys is that they know when I call for them in a certain voice that there's food waiting for them! They get fed little and often so this works well - they're always eager to come check what's going to be put in their bowls and fly back in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

boomerang wrote: »
    The trick I have with my guys is that they know when I call for them in a certain voice that there's food waiting for them! They get fed little and often so this works well - they're always eager to come check what's going to be put in their bowls and fly back in!

I find this works best too, as much as I hate having to leave my cats outside during the day it's the parents rule, but the first few times I let them out I didn't feed them so they were hungry going out, and used a specific tone of voice to call them, when they came back they got their brekkie so now anytime I call them in that tone of voice I have 12 furry little legs flying across the garden for their grub :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

And it's so cute! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭IlmoNT4

You could also try putting him on a harness and one of those extended leads. It would allow him to wander around and you wouldnt have to worry about him escaping.

If you put the harness on him for a week, inside the house for 10 minutes at first and build it up before taking him outside. He'll need some time to get use to it. Give him a treat and lots of praise when hes wearing the harness so he associates it with good things.

• Advertisement

Have tried him on a harness, he hates it. Although it wasn't really a harness, just a length of fine rope tied to his collar. I suppose I could try to get something fine and lightweight that would be less annoying to him.

To be honest it's pretty rare that he's outside with us but it means that we have to watch him constantly.

I don't think I could ever take the chance of letting him dander around by himself or give him free reign. There's a few big mean country Toms around, and a road right outside the gate that gets a fair bit of speedy traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭IlmoNT4

You can get a cat harness in most pet shops for around 20 euro. When I first put it on my cat, he use to fall over and lay on the ground. Then he got use to it, took about 2 weeks.... Kinda have to bring things in very slowly with cats. I dont let my cats out because I live on a very busy main road and I'm certain they would be killed.

Dont get a cat collar with a rope. Cats necks are very sensitive and he could hurt himself if he decided to bolt. They need a harness or a body jacket. You can find lots of different types on Amazon.

Advertisement