Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Story in the Indo today about Patrick Nulty & David McGuinness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

mad, Ruth Coppinger better watch her back now...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

If McGuinness was approached by the girls brother, then he knew that a crime had been committed and had to go to the Gardaí. Non-story, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    If McGuinness was approached by the girls brother, then he knew that a crime had been committed and had to go to the Gardaí. Non-story, really.
    No other agenda, of course.

It is politics, Nulty made some terrible decisions putting it lightly. I wouldn't want someone like that representing me anyway. Pity Coppinger was elected to replace him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    but the family already reported it to the police

However, the Sunday Independent understands that gardai did not contact Mr Nulty at any stage about his online activities. - See more at: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/ff-politician-asked-gardai-to-probe-nultys-lewd-texts-30391870.html#sthash.rTrpIoav.dpuf

i don't understand though if the family wanted it pursued the cops never contacted Nulty about any of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Sorry, but can someone explain what this has to do with D15?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

They are both D15 Politicians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My take on it is the OP was deliberately trying to get a rise out of Davids brother, as evidenced in his second post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Hi January,

People can't see the second post from me, because it was deleted.

Far from trying to "getting a rise", I think it is more a case that if you are going to be on here advocating for somebody, then it is only fair that you should be just as willing to comment when something less than flattering about them comes out.

I am guessing from the lack of a response, and I am guessing the reporting of my post and it's subsequent deletion, that the poster in question doesn't have any interest in commenting on this issue, which is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

No need to comment on it. The article seems fairly clear to me. Nothing to see here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Arciphel wrote: »
    Hi January,

People can't see the second post from me, because it was deleted.

Far from trying to "getting a rise", I think it is more a case that if you are going to be on here advocating for somebody, then it is only fair that you should be just as willing to comment when something less than flattering about them comes out.

I am guessing from the lack of a response, and I am guessing the reporting of my post and it's subsequent deletion, that the poster in question doesn't have any interest in commenting on this issue, which is a shame.

It wasn't reported, I deleted it as it was unnecessary.

No need to comment on it. The article seems fairly clear to me. Nothing to see here.

there is question that unless mcguiness was trying to act as some sort of legal advisor that he cant' and shouldn't interfere... in an ongoing police investigation.

there is question that unless mcguiness was trying to act as some sort of legal advisor that he cant' and shouldn't interfere.

If someone comes to you with information (regardless if you want to hear it or not), please keep this in mind. Particularly if you work with children like I do.

http://www.dcya.gov.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/Publications/ODTC_Full_Eng.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

To quote the article from the Independent -
    "Gardai had already been contacted about the messages by the girl's family when Mr McGuinness made the personal visit to Blanchardstown garda station. However, officers decided that there was no case to answer because the girl was not classified as a minor."

I was looking through the handbook (which is a very useful resource) and I saw the following which I thought was relevant.

"...the principle of confidentiality should apply, whereby only those that need to know should be told of a suspicion/allegation/disclosure of abuse and the number that need to be kept informed should be kept to a minimum."

Do you think that this principle, and the protection of the girl in question, was being best served when newspapers were widely reporting the allegations, and when the Gardai were still carrying out their inquiry?

Because in my mind, the person (or people) who brought that story to the media had zero concern for the victim of the alleged abuse, and their only interest seemed to be in the opportunistic timing of the disclosure of such an allegation.

Do you think that this principle, and the protection of the girl in question, was being best served when newspapers were widely reporting the allegations, and when the Gardai were still carrying out their inquiry?

Newspapers never serve anyone's interests and a journalist is never your friend. I've zero respect of newspapers.

Because in my mind, the person (or people) who brought that story to the media had zero concern for the victim of the alleged abuse, and their only interest seemed to be in the opportunistic timing of the disclosure of such an allegation.

But the family affected choose on their own accord to go to the media? The Sunday World in print form stated that clearly on the day it broke.

If someone comes to you with information (regardless if you want to hear it or not), please keep this in mind. Particularly if you work with children like I do.

http://www.dcya.gov.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/Publications/ODTC_Full_Eng.pdf

the information had already being passed to the police, that story says the family wanted him to make sure the case was being pursued, not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sid7

Why would the Gardai not pursue a case ? Seems very odd the family went to another local Politician and not a Solicitor.

Advertisement