Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import tax and duty on returned item ?

Options
  • 29-06-2014 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone need a bit of advice

i bought an electrical item from outside the EU that is faulty and i will have to return it . i haven't received the bill for import taxes and duty yet but i assume it will be on its way and will be approx 100-150 euro . how do i avoid paying this when it comes ?

considering the item will have been returned and no replacement sent back to me?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Hi There, returned such an item only a few months ago myself.
    Your situation is a bit different to mine as in my case the duties and taxes had already been paid by the courier. But I rang revenue and explained and once I sent them screenshot of the cancelled transaction and the paypal refund (was an eBay purchase) and copy of the revenue slip that was attached to the parcel they were satisfied and issued a cheque for a refund to me. Was totally straightforward, no bureaucracy stuff and pretty quick too.

If every department in Ireland would work as efficient and quick as revenue other countries would be scared of Ireland. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Hi everyone need a bit of advice

i bought an electrical item from outside the EU that is faulty and i will have to return it . i haven't received the bill for import taxes and duty yet but i assume it will be on its way and will be approx 100-150 euro . how do i avoid paying this when it comes ?

considering the item will have been returned and no replacement sent back to me?

When you send it back, make sure that the export documentation is handled properly and that it is stated : faulty equipment, returned for refund.

You may have to pay the duty and vat, but you can claim that back from Revenue.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Advertisement