Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Bought Troubles.

Options
  • 29-06-2014 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, I purchased a car after seeing an ad on DoneDeal Friday gone by. I went up and looked at the car and was told by the seller that he drove it for the past 6 months to and from work and also that it just needed two back-shocks and that it would pass the NCT. The next day when I had the car checked it was found that it needed full rebuild of the front sterring with wishbones, busheens, front shocks, leak in the engine, theromstat, then the kicker. I then found a reciept from a auction house which dated the purchase of the car a week previous. What are my rights on this case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Was it a private sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 leavingcertgal

Yes., he told me he has been using it for work for the past six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hi, I purchased a car after seeing an ad on DoneDeal Friday gone by. I went up and looked at the car and was told by the seller that he drove it for the past 6 months to and from work and also that it just needed two back-shocks and that it would pass the NCT. The next day when I had the car checked it was found that it needed full rebuild of the front sterring with wishbones, busheens, front shocks, leak in the engine, theromstat, then the kicker. I then found a reciept from a auction house which dated the purchase of the car a week previous. What are my rights on this case?

You obviously release now that you should have had the car checked out before you bought it. Even a €10 CarTell check might have told you it was only purchased recently.
    Yes., he told me he has been using it for work for the past six months.

If you could prove this, you might have some comeback, was this mentioned in the DoneDeal add?

With a Private Sale, you still have some rights, but the cost of asserting them might exceed the price you paid for the car. And even if you win in the small claims court, you might not be able to collect anything.

You might try to see if the seller is selling other cars online, and if so report the adds, or try to warn others/spoil his sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Possible recourse though the District Court but if it was over a few grand it'll be the Curcuit and higher legal fees.

Chance of sucess is debatable dispite the obvious misrep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

You obviously release now that you should have had the car checked out before you bought it. Even a €10 CarTell check might have told you it was only purchased recently.

If you could prove this, you might have some comeback, was this mentioned in the DoneDeal add?

With a Private Sale, you still have some rights, but the cost of asserting them might exceed the price you paid for the car. And even if you win in the small claims court, you might not be able to collect anything.

You might try to see if the seller is selling other cars online, and if so report the adds, or try to warn others/spoil his sales.

you can find out if a car has had the ownership changed recently here for free.
    https://www.motortax.ie/PSE/start.do;jsessionid=0aa0114730d8d8cc4dd2907948f3a1079492aa6fc3ce.e38PaNaSbh0RaO0Ma3iKe0?page=welcome

I wouldn't report his adds to done deal, Id report them to Revenue as if he has others up, he's a part time dealer, in which case the OP will have comeback as caveat emptor applies to private sales only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I wouldn't report his adds to done deal, Id report them to Revenue as if he has others up, he's a part time dealer, in which case the OP will have comeback as caveat emptor applies to private sales only.

If someone is willing to scam others you can be fairly sure they know how little can really be done if they don't play ball, a lot of effort can be wasted chasing these people for no results.

Advertisement