Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing two stroke equipment

• 29-06-2014 12:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

I've a chainsaw, string trimmer and (4 stroke) lawnmower. This equipment is idle long term (4-5 months over winter) and short term (2-5 weeks between usage).

What is the best practice for short term and long term storage?

I've read various opinions, some leave the fuel tank full, some empty it and run the engine until all fuel is gone, some add stabilizer to the fuel, some put in petrol without 2 stroke oil mix...

Some say emptying fuel will dry out the seals, some say leaving in fuel will corrode and gunk up various parts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭dipper.meath16

I've a chainsaw, string trimmer and (4 stroke) lawnmower. This equipment is idle long term (4-5 months over winter) and short term (2-5 weeks between usage).

What is the best practice for short term and long term storage?

I've read various opinions, some leave the fuel tank full, some empty it and run the engine until all fuel is gone, some add stabilizer to the fuel, some put in petrol without 2 stroke oil mix...

Some say emptying fuel will dry out the seals, some say leaving in fuel will corrode and gunk up various parts.

Hi op,

Always empty the fuels from these as not only does the 2stroke seperate from the petrol but the petrol will also corrode the fuel lines and other rubbers within the carb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Hi op,

Always empty the fuels from these as not only does the 2stroke seperate from the petrol but the petrol will also corrode the fuel lines and other rubbers within the carb.
    +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Hi op,

That's it in a nutshell you will end up having to replace parts and seals in your crab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

We always empty out as much fuel as possible, then run the machine dry. Seems to work, not going to bluff I know the technical stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Would you leave the fuel cap loose to allow any remaining liquid evaporate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Long term 4-5 months.
    Start and warm the engine up to operating temp.
    Stop engine and empty the tank.
    Start engine and idle until the machine runs out of fuel.

Short term, 2-5 weeks should be fine.
    If you use Aspen then it will be no problem at all for longer.

The petrol isn't the issue, its what else is in the petrol that causes issues.
    Pump fuel has ethanol added and this absorbs water from the atmosphere and causes corrosion of metal parts, the alcohol also causes rapid deterioration of some rubber parts like diaphragms and fuel lines.

If you run 2 strokes on Aspen for a tank or two before laying-up it greatly reduces the damage that Ethanol does to engine components.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭kay 9

Aspen all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

don't have any problems to report with aspen and fuel lines and leaving it in the tank for ages, other that it is a pleasure to work with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Can anyone advise a place that sells Aspen at a good price.
    Thanks

I get mine here:

http://www.mower-power.com/shannonside/product.asp?numPageStartPosition=1&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&strSearchCriteria=&PT_ID=206&P_ID=776&btnProduct=More+details

Pushing the health agenda... :D I used to get a bio chain oil from Maxol distributer (Biomax)
    http://www.maxolubes.ie/maxoldocuments/MAXOL%20BIOMAX%20CHAIN%20SAW.pdf
    but I don't see it listed on their website now. But these have a bio chain oil http://www.finol.ie/lubricants-oils/agriculture/chain-oils/chainbio/ whose specs look similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

kay 9 wrote: »
    Aspen all the way.

What is aspen? A fuel or an additive?
    Never heard of it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

cjmc wrote: »
    What is aspen? A fuel or an additive?
    Never heard of it !

It's a very pure form of petrol that's refined in a particular way. The big advantage (other than it being very clean burning) is that the fuel doesn't go "off" when left sitting in the tank, and it doesn't cause any build-up in the carburetor.

The lack of fumes choking you has to be experienced to be believed when using aspen in a saw. I use the four stroke version of aspen too in the lawnmower and it performs equally well.

Advertisement