Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

two lads tried to steal my bike - caught in the act

• 29-06-2014 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33

I moved house last week, city-ish, came home for 10 minutes at around 1am and walked back out to find two lads with a bolt cutters going at my lock. brief altercation and rapid garda response, still have my bike but im not sure its safe.

Is there a lock big enough?
    any suggestions regarding alarms?
    anyone else have a similar experience?

all/any opinions greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭CNTRLR

unfortunately if they want it they are going to get it, especially if its left out in the open, etc..
    Best bet is park it where it can be seen either by a camera or next to a door, get a chain and lock from here
    Whoever tries to take it will need a grinder as a bolt cutter will just break on this chain, they are the strongest chain around, but having a chain is one thing as they can just walk the thing away if its not locked to something, so if you can consider a ground anchor or at least chaining it around a pillar or something that can't be cut or broken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Yeah if you don't already have one id get the almax chain amd ground anchor. It should delay them enough to make them feck off somewhere else.

Did you at least get a few slaps in?? Dirty bastards....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I moved house last week, city-ish, came home for 10 minutes at around 1am and walked back out to find two lads with a bolt cutters going at my lock. brief altercation and rapid garda response, still have my bike but im not sure its safe.

Is there a lock big enough?
    any suggestions regarding alarms?
    anyone else have a similar experience?

all/any opinions greatly appreciated!

Did the cops catch them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Stick a bike cover over it too, if the can't see it in passing, they might not go after it next time (if its old and dirty on the outside this helps further too). Get a Grip lock or CrocLoc for your throttle and front brake, just another layer of security and cheap at 40 -70 euro...

griplock-bmw-7001.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

^^^ That is so cool, never even heard of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Tomohawk wrote: »
    Stick a bike cover over it too, if the can't see it in passing, they might not go after it next time (if its old and dirty on the outside this helps further too). Get a Grip lock or CrocLoc for your throttle and front brake, just another layer of security and cheap at 40 -70 euro...

griplock-bmw-7001.jpg

Could the brake lever not be just snapped with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

blade1 wrote: »
    Could the brake lever not be just snapped with that?

Exactly....Those type of locks are shyte...just look snazzy.....disclock or a padlock around the sprocket is more effective....but again, if they want it they'll get it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I have a series 4 almax and squire lock not being used any more if you're interested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

Idleater wrote: »
    I have a series 4 almax and squire lock not being used any more if you're interested?

How much?

b_mac2 wrote: »
    How much?

€100?
    I've found the spare key, but not the one that I mainly used.
    I've also found my never installed hardie secure ground anchor. €50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Great price for the above snap up that offer quick!

I have the almax chain and lock combo and its worth every penny tbh

Re: Griplock/Croclock, if they break the lever, how are they gonna use the throttle like normal, no room for the hand to grip comfortably. But I wouldn't recommend using this on its own, works well with a big chain and other ancillary locks and security. However it's a good visible deterent and chances are the opportunist thief will move on to the next bike in line when he spots this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

http://www.secure-a-bike.com

If money and space are no object then this crowd do a rather nice looking shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

That's the thing about almax chains, most bike thefts are done with bolt cutters, if you can cut out that type of theft, you've got a much better chance of them not bothering.
    Obviously no bike is unstealable, but just make it as difficult as possible

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Should have cut their balls off....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Sorry to hear that lad, nothing worse then having to worry about the bike at night it really ****s with the mind. Ground anchor is the best deterrent but thats all it is.....Almax is the way to go if you have the cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

Tomohawk wrote: »
    Re: Griplock/Croclock, if they break the lever, how are they gonna use the throttle like normal, no room for the hand to grip comfortably. But I wouldn't recommend using this on its own, works well with a big chain and other ancillary locks and security. However it's a good visible deterent and chances are the opportunist thief will move on to the next bike in line when he spots this...

if they're turning up with bolt cutters - I imagine they just need to snip the ball off the end of the lever and the whole lot slides off

plus I'd say its a recipe for a warped disk

go with the trusted almax, alarm, security light, handgrenade under the seat combo...

If they did that that it still wont slide off, the grip is very tight...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 hurricanefloss

that's all loads of help!

i got a loan of a better chain than I had and I'll definitely get an Almax when i get some bills together, I think a cover might help too. Just moved house so I'm skint!

I couldn't have been luckier tbh, I came home 10 minutes before this and had to go back out and they had just started with a big bolt cutters. I'm fairly handy so I tried to catch them but they had people waiting in a getaway car so if i caught them who knows what could happen.

Garda arrived in 30 seconds and burned off, I'll update once I get any information.

Anyone see the (i think it's) Clifford "alarmed" disk lock??? that seems fit for purpose.

Edit: anyone got an alarm??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 hurricanefloss

I would most definitely, probably next month though so any lads here want it first fire away.

• Advertisement

€100?
    I've found the spare key, but not the one that I mainly used.
    I've also found my never installed hardie secure ground anchor. €50.
    I would most definitely, probably next month though so any lads here want it first fire away.

Idleater, what lenght chain is it?

Cienciano wrote: »
    Idleater, what lenght chain is it?

1m I think.
    It's really a portable chain. I left it attached to my ground anchor.
    Collection (Lucan) is preferred if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I'm in Lucan and would take this off you... it's this one right?

Vikings wrote: »
    Yup,
    this is what I bought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Almax 3, Squire lock and Hardie Ground anchor user here. Its not going to stop them taking it. But it will cause them to make a lot of noise and take a couple of minutes to do it. Well worth it in my opinion.

I also went at the last link in the chain over 5 years ago with the 48" bolt cutter on site. It did break the bolt cutter. Then it took me 3 minutes to cut the link with a 2k watt angle grinder and metal disk.

Once it's bolt cutter proof, that's all you can do. Nothing is grinder proof. But bolt cutters are the tool of choice of the skangbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Vikings wrote: »
    I'll take it if Vikings doesn't want it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

You could get some disc lock alarms too. I have four disc lock alarms and two normal disc locks, two fairly chunky chains, two u-locks (one lightweight, one heavy weight), some other cable-style locks. As far as I know, nobody has tried to nick it, or been able, and I lived in a bad part of Dublin and had a small underground parking spot that scumbags seemed to be able to get into whenever they wanted. Bicycles went missing all the time. Not my motorbike though, was was very robbable (2013 bike, bought new).

Xena make the best alarmed disc lock. Find them the cheapest on e-bay.

Almax chains are great, sure, but are too heavy to carry around with you. Just using chain/one disc lock is going to leave you paranoid too. Use a variety of things.

Also, do try to lock to something fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

rat_race wrote: »
    I have four disc lock alarms and two normal disc locks, two fairly chunky chains, two u-locks (one lightweight, one heavy weight), some other cable-style locks.

Jesus, do you have a checklist to make sure you took them all off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Jesus, do you have a checklist to make sure you took them all off?

I very rarely have them all on. I have two bicycles and two motorbikes, so they all get some use.

But my point was that if you make your bike look like it's not worth the hassle/risk to steal, you'll be pretty safe. Especially with a disc alarm...

Generally I would put a chain (Oxford chains, not great but not sh1te either), a u-lock and a disc alarm lock on one motorbike. If I was going away or particularly paranoid, maybe more.

Tried to get an Almax chain but they decided they didn't want my business by not wb to my mails.

Advertisement