Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

two lads tried to steal my bike - caught in the act

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

After reading about that bike thief on Reddit, I now reverse my bike in and have the almax chain on the back wheel and the disc lock on the front. If I'm not using it for a few days, I'll put a cover on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Cienciano wrote: »
    After reading about that bike thief on Reddit, I now reverse my bike in and have the almax chain on the back wheel and the disc lock on the front. If I'm not using it for a few days, I'll put a cover on it too.

Don't have my psychic hat charged today, can you tell me what bike thief you read about on reddit? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

rat_race wrote: »
    Don't have my psychic hat charged today, can you tell me what bike thief you read about on reddit? :)
    I'll link you the post:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90908464&postcount=317

It's a good read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Thieving baxtards.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Put CCTV up!

I would try and get it into the house if at all possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 hurricanefloss

I'm not sure cctv would do benficial, except get a video of them stealing it. I'll definitely be getting an almax chain and some form of alarm.

Anyone have an alarm/immob on they're bike? I had a beast of a clifford alarm on an old 180SX with proximity sensors and coded start, that i think would be awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I'm not sure cctv would do benficial, except get a video of them stealing it. I'll definitely be getting an almax chain and some form of alarm.

Anyone have an alarm/immob on they're bike? I had a beast of a clifford alarm on an old 180SX with proximity sensors and coded start, that i think would be awesome.

My bike has a factory immobiliser which gets disabled when you insert the key.
    You don't need to spend mad money when just getting an alarm. Just get something that makes a lot of noise when it goes off. Mine is about 130db if I remember.
    It does a short 2 second burst when its disturbed initially and if any movement occurs within 5 seconds of the initial disturbance then the alarm goes off fully.

The initial short burst is good because there are always kids playing on my street so the occasional ball rolls into the bike. When its windy you don't want the full alarm going off. Plenty of cats around so they jump on the bike from time to time. The initial burst sends them running. lol.

It does a short 2 second burst when its disturbed initially and if any movement occurs within 5 seconds of the initial disturbance then the alarm goes off fully.

what alarm is it?

did you have it installed?

what alarm is it?

did you have it installed?

Cant remember. Ill try and find the package when I get home.

I installed it myself but I didn't do anything fancy. Basically stuck the alarm under the seat and connected it to the battery.
    It comes with loads of connecters so it flashes the indicators etc but I didn't hook any of that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

I have one of these on my bike http://www.datatool.co.uk/home/products/S4C1, cannot fault it, Thatcham approved as well

You can pick them up a lot cheaper than retail on eBay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

I had an attempt on mine a year ago or so. They popped the seat and ripped out the alarm (DataTool S4). I assume this was done very quickly to prevent disturbance and in reverse engineering how they did that it is clear now how bad seat locks are. So alarms have very little protection if installed under the seat.

They also popped the ignition barrel to disable the steering lock and then tried to bypass the immobiliser. They failed to hot wire it (8 or more identical black cables in the loom so best of luck with that) and I ended up needing a new wiring loom which wasn't pleasant for my wallet.

I've come the the conclusion that out of sight and out of reach are the best options. Don't let anyone know if you have a banger or a brand new machine and then have layers of security that ideally keep them hands off the bike while an alarm is going off. I'm renting currently but if/when I buy a place I'll definitely be adding a bike shed, probably inside a normal shed to further keep it out of sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭flutered

jeeze the trouble you guy have to go to, in order to hold on to your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Dorsanty wrote: »
    I'm renting currently but if/when I buy a place I'll definitely be adding a bike shed, probably inside a normal shed to further keep it out of sight.
    Bah hahahaha! I'm sitting here laughing at the mental image of the face of a scrote breaking into your garden shed to rob a lawnmower or something, only to be faced with a steel door once past the wood one! :D:D

Dorsanty wrote: »
    So alarms have very little protection if installed under the seat.

That's true.
    You can get alarms with an internal battery so it will keep ringing even after it has been disconnected from the main battery.

Kind of forgot about this post,

all very helpful. bloody nerve racking, I'm forever looking out my window and expecting to see it gone or almost anytime i come home, it's like PTSD or something.

Almost payday, locks and alarms on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

That's true.
    You can get alarms with an internal battery so it will keep ringing even after it has been disconnected from the main battery.

Isnt the problem that the seat locks aren't up to much so an alarm can be gotten at and deactivated? damaged or removed as much as that it doesnt have its own power supply?
    Its just one thing after another, but maybe seat locks can be upgraded? although even then if someone wanted to access an alarm located there, a crowbar is going to be more resilient than the tabs and lock that hold a seat in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

best if you can get the alarm under the tank (or even deeper) if at all possible - you can get under the seat very easily Im afraid

Advertisement