Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling thru France with Pitbull.

• 29-06-2014 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I am just wondering if anybody did that, because I'm moving to Ireland and I love to take my dog with me, but it is restricted dog in France , it has to has pedigree and be registered, my one doesn't have,I was just wondering, is it possible to just quickly to go thru from Germany to Irish ferry,she won't even leave the car, or not.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

Breed doesn't matter (in Ireland some breeds are required to have a muzzle, unsure if "tourists" would have to have a dog licence though), however for travel within the EU a valid pet passport with a vaccination against rabies at least 21 days before intended date of travel is obligatory. Would also recommend you treat for tapeworm to prevent "Echinococcus multiocularis" going from the continent to here, likewise treat with an acaracidal, in case any tick-borne diseases.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 missbeat

yes breed doesn't matter in Ireland, but in matters in France, i want to get her thru France. If anybody know that, would be helpfull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I did a quick search and from what I've learned pure bred pitbulls that have papers to prove so are allowed into France. Crossbreeds of pitbulls are not. The dog also has to be neutered. Maybe your vet could provide a written statement to say your dog is pure bred? There was not much more information to say if this is a requirement if you are just passing through the country. I would contact whichever Irish ferries and they should be be able to provide you with more information

Thats the problem my one is pure bred, but no papers, and i did contact the Irish ferries, they say they ok with taking the dog, and said to contact french on the matter, and I've been calling Agriculture office and the menu is in french and what ever i press it hangs up. Does anyone know if there an actual border with Germany and France, we were thinking to just quickly ride thru to the Ferries. Or to get a pedigree somehow, but here in Estonia where I'm from we don't even have a club or something because the breed is not recognised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

missbeat wrote: »
    Thats the problem my one is pure bred, but no papers, and i did contact the Irish ferries, they say they ok with taking the dog, and said to contact french on the matter, and I've been calling Agriculture office and the menu is in french and what ever i press it hangs up. Does anyone know if there an actual border with Germany and France, we were thinking to just quickly ride thru to the Ferries. Or to get a pedigree somehow, but here in Estonia where I'm from we don't even have a club or something because the breed is not recognised.

It may be more of a pain travel wise but if you travelled down through England either across Hull to Zeebrugge/ or amsterdam or from Dover or Harwich (sp?) you could bypass France altogether.

I have travelled from Holyhead to Hull and it's about 4 hours in the car - the ferries across to Belgium take about 12 hours. Just an alternative. Having said that I don't know the rules regarding pitbulls in Belgium.

• Advertisement

Pretzill wrote: »
    It may be more of a pain travel wise but if you travelled down through England either across Hull to Zeebrugge/ or amsterdam or from Dover or Harwich (sp?) you could bypass France altogether.

I have travelled from Holyhead to Hull and it's about 4 hours in the car - the ferries across to Belgium take about 12 hours. Just an alternative. Having said that I don't know the rules regarding pitbulls in Belgium.

No no no England no way this type of dog is banned, they seize any resemblance to pit bull kinda dogs and destroy them, besides I won't even go thru the border with her, my only option is France Cherbourg-Dublin Ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 offline

From where are you traveling ?

As far as I know , you are not allowed to bring restricted breeds into Germany , which includes the pitbull ( depending on county , as each county has their own restricted list ) .

No no no England no way this type of dog is banned, they seize any resemblance to pit bull kinda dogs and destroy them, besides I won't even go thru the border with her, my only option is France Cherbourg-Dublin Ferry.

I didn't know that. But I do now thanks.

Edit to add: If a dog is a rb or banned in a country and you are only passing through said country in other words in transit with passport, shots uptodate, papers etc can someone in authority actually take your dog away from you?

OP I would check exactly what is required from each border crossing as you'll be entering different countries with different laws - but the point of destination allows the breed. So how do say for example breeders, animal charities move their dogs to their destination?

offline wrote: »
    From where are you traveling ?

As far as I know , you are not allowed to bring restricted breeds into Germany , which includes the pitbull ( depending on county , as each county has their own restricted list ) .

In Germany restricted breeds are allowed as a transit of maximum of 4 weeks.

I didn't know that. But I do now thanks.

Edit to add: If a dog is a rb or banned in a country and you are only passing through said country in other words in transit with passport, shots uptodate, papers etc can someone in authority actually take your dog away from you?

OP I would check exactly what is required from each border crossing as you'll be entering different countries with different laws - but the point of destination allows the breed. So how do say for example breeders, animal charities move their dogs to their destination?

Yes I wondered the same, but it says that without pedigree it's 1 category dangerous dog, so not allowed. But I was thinking just to go try at least, if they stop us on the border we turn back, if no then just quickly reach the ferry and that's it, anyway it's a schengen zone both Germany and France so there is actual border. And there is no reason to stop us later, if u do t speed and etc.

• Advertisement

Yes I wondered the same, but it says that without pedigree it's 1 category dangerous dog, so not allowed. But I was thinking just to go try at least, if they stop us on the border we turn back, if no then just quickly reach the ferry and that's it, anyway it's a schengen zone both Germany and France so there is actual border. And there is no reason to stop us later, if u do t speed and etc.

But there will be a passport control before you board the ferry in Cherbourg. I have never been stopped but have seen vehicles from Spain stopped and checked (always wondered were they checking cigarette allowance - another thing that differs) And waiting at port it always a good opportunity to let the dog have a little walk before the voyage.

But there will be a passport control before you board the ferry in Cherbourg. I have never been stopped but have seen vehicles from Spain stopped and checked (always wondered were they checking cigarette allowance - another thing that differs) And waiting at port it always a good opportunity to let the dog have a little walk before the voyage.

I called the Ferry they said they take her no problem, but i called an actual ferry, maybe i should try the office from french side, but anyway if to think about it u already passed and going on ferry and to a different country, does anybody will care. Besides they gonna check i think our passports, the dog documentation i think they check on the boat it self. I don't, I've never been there as well i don't know how it is, i will try to call irish ferries from french side tomorrow, if they will sat they don't care then we just try. And other thing they gonna check does she has all the documentations the dog, do they really gonna check does she has a pedigree or not.Because with pedigree it allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I can understand what you're saying about trying anyway, but if they do check in the port, and the authorities decide your dog is illegal, what is the penalty? If there is a chance she would be put to sleep, I wouldn't take the chance. I know it is obviously dearer, but have you looked into a flight instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If I were you, I'd risk it.

No border controls going into France ...the only point where you might be checked for more than your passport is on leaving France; why would they care at that point what kind of dog you have??

As long as it has it's up to date passport and vacs, I can't see any problem.

muddypaws wrote: »
    I can understand what you're saying about trying anyway, but if they do check in the port, and the authorities decide your dog is illegal, what is the penalty? If there is a chance she would be put to sleep, I wouldn't take the chance. I know it is obviously dearer, but have you looked into a flight instead?

Ireland is not Schengen most planes that are flying from here or from Finland, Sweden take dogs only within Schengen.

muddypaws wrote: »
    i don't know , thats why i started this thread,to find somebody with experience maybe, i did all the research on all countries, and I'm stuck on France, and all the information is mostly in French, and as I said before calling was without luck as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kattra

I would not risk it. From the information i gathered on some german websites even a transit through france with a pitty is not allowed. If the dog is seized it can be put down. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

peasant wrote: »
    If I were you, I'd risk it.

No border controls going into France ...the only point where you might be checked for more than your passport is on leaving France; why would they care at that point what kind of dog you have??
    As long as it has it's up to date passport and vacs, I can't see any problem.

French do care. I have seen one car stopped and people tried to make many calls at 3or4am - the officer seemed that he wouldn't change his mind.

Ireland have it's own specific to Ireland Laws in terms of rabies, dog passport etc, these details needs to be checked before leaving France.

I could be wrong here as I didn't take ferry from France to EIRE, however I drove through Euro-tunnel from France to UK, the papers were checked carefully, the microchip was scanned by French authorities BEFORE we were allowed onto train (euro-tunnel), the vaccine stamps were checked and few other bits and pieces. As I needed to go to Germany, I needed to have a full size cage in the car (legal requirement in Germany).

Leaving Ireland is no hassle.

But coming to Ireland requires to meet few rules (these rules are more relaxed now as oppose to 2011) but they are still present.

OP - I suggest you email French side of the ferry offices, attached copy of paperwork for your pet, and get in writing approval that they will allow your per in CAGE in transit.

No hassle to email French embassy to ask if pitt's are allowed in transit through France - embassy would give you lead as to what dept in France would answer your query - ask your query by email.

Lastly, for about 250e you might try larger airlines, it works like that (you book flight with AirFrance or KLM and they arrange details with local carriers).

rgds

tp25 wrote: »
    French do care. I have seen one car stopped and people tried to make many calls at 3or4am - the officer seemed that he wouldn't change his mind.

Ireland have it's own specific to Ireland Laws in terms of rabies, dog passport etc, these details needs to be checked before leaving France.

I could be wrong here as I didn't take ferry from France to EIRE, however I drove through Euro-tunnel from France to UK, the papers were checked carefully, the microchip was scanned by French authorities BEFORE we were allowed onto train (euro-tunnel), the vaccine stamps were checked and few other bits and pieces. As I needed to go to Germany, I needed to have a full size cage in the car (legal requirement in Germany).

Leaving Ireland is no hassle.

But coming to Ireland requires to meet few rules (these rules are more relaxed now as oppose to 2011) but they are still present.

OP - I suggest you email French side of the ferry offices, attached copy of paperwork for your pet, and get in writing approval that they will allow your per in CAGE in transit.

No hassle to email French embassy to ask if pitt's are allowed in transit through France - embassy would give you lead as to what dept in France would answer your query - ask your query by email.

Lastly, for about 250e you might try larger airlines, it works like that (you book flight with AirFrance or KLM and they arrange details with local carriers).

rgds

I contacted french embassy already they said no pedigree no dog , even as transit, and only airline that takes is sas cargo, and they deal only with companies like dhl, so i have to go thru them first.
    Im trying now to find out maybe i can buy a pedigree in a country like Russia, because there everything possible.
    And also maybe its like that when u going to Uk, because the dog laws are super strict there, i don't maybe its diffident when u going on ferry.

Advertisement