Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what are typical firewood prices ?

• 29-06-2014 1:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭

Im currently cutting up firewood for the coming winter and I am planning on selling it by the cubic metre (m3 have a transport box made that is 1.3 m3 which makes up for the air space ) and I'm doing market research on the price I would expect to get ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

hardwood/soft wood
    and depends on how u are going to sell it, ie by bag, big bag or trailer loads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

And how dry (seasoned) it is, will be an important factor in the price too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Oldtree wrote: »
    And how dry (seasoned) it is, will be an important factor in the price too.

Shall be 6 months seasoned

Its a hardwood mix of sycamore ash and oak

I will be selling it in a transport box that I made mesh sides and opening door that takes 1.3 m3 it will be delivered

I'll also sell in those small fertilizer bags for 3-4 euro ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

6 months seasoning isn't much also depends when it was cut in the first place (winter/summer?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Seasoned firewood usually means at least a year drying. you would be selling un-seasoned wood.

• Advertisement

Cut last January blocked and split then piled in a shed with good ventilation

What do you think ? Suppose it will be 9 months gone when I'm selling it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Ash famously has naturally low mc so should be fine, oak will take. 18 months plus especially in the irish climate, the french wouldn't dream of burning anything with less than. 24 months seasoning and as they were 99% wood fired up until recently I always take notice of what they used to do. Worth investing in a moisture meter €20 or so from amazon.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Ash famously has naturally low mc so should be fine, oak will take. 18 months plus especially in the irish climate, the french wouldn't dream of burning anything with less than. 24 months seasoning and as they were 99% wood fired up until recently I always take notice of what they used to do. Worth investing in a moisture meter €20 or so from amazon.

Well I'll keep the oak separate so and let that go next year what is ash/sycamore going for ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

+ 1 for investing in moisture meter.Take log from WITHIN the pile, split in half and lightly press the meter prongs into the middle of the split face.This, rather than taking a reading from the end grain or outer surface, will give you a more accurate indication of whether your wood is worthy of being called 'firewood' (ie: below 18% moisture content).
    Can't see the sycamore or oak being dry enough by this winter.

A cube of seasoned ash delivered =€100-120?. I saw feed bags of ash being sold last winter for €6 (feed bags of softwood €4)

Advertisement