Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Sprint - Final Week Training

Options
  • 29-06-2014 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Am going to do my first sprint triathlon at the weekend and am looking for some advice on training in the final days. Here is what I am thinking.

Sunday: Rest (Hungover)
    Monday: 1500m in pool
    Tuesday: open water swim 750-1000m
    Wednesday: Aquathon
    Thursday: Rest,
    Friday: 1000m morning swim in pool
    Saturday: TriAthlone

Think the aquathon is too much the week before triathlon?

Just feel that im lacking in open water swimming experience and want to try get a much as I can in before the race.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

It's impossible to know what impact the Aquathon will have without some context - swim and run ability coupled with training levels to date. Worst case, swim hard and run easy if you're worried the Aquathon is too close to Athlone.

Why is there no biking? Also, no run other than the Aquathon why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

The week before the race is when you should be pulling back your training, as opposed to trying to gain fitness. You're not going to do anything in the last week that will speed you up, but can definitely do sessions that will slow you down. If it's your first, don't worry about time, etc. Just enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tibulus

The training was going quite steady over the past 8 weeks. Training 4-5 evening per week had gradually built running distance up to 8km and swimming up to 1400m per session.

Then last week when I should have been pushing it hardest I was out of the country with work and was unable to do any training with the exemption of one 6km run.

Done my last aquathon 3 weeks ago in 46min, so would like to have improved on that ahead of the race Saturday.

Think the aquathon this evening could do more bad than good if I try to push it.

Thanks for the advise.

Advertisement