Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does this immersion system work?

• 29-06-2014 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭

Hi all, attached is a pic of the water heating/immersion system in my apartment. Does anyone know how this works? I've seen other timer thingies and they have little switches that you push in for the hours that you want it to turn on. This system doesn't have any of those however. From what I can see it's either on or off and I can't figue out how to get it to come on after midnight.

- How do I set it so that it heats the water overnight?
    - What's this system called, is it an immersion or does it have some other name?
    - Is it generally cheaper / better to heat the water overnight than during the day?

Second topic: the shower I have currently is a pumped electric shower fed from the hot water in the tank, which means the hot water can run out after a while. Would I be better or is it cheaper to replace it with an instant electric shower, something like the standard T90?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,161 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Hi. The link below should bring you to an instruction manual for "horstmann economy 7 quartz timer". Slightly different model to yours but same instructions (I think)

http://www.kellihers.com/media/pdfs/HO03_E7_Installation.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭Some_randomer

@Sleeper12 thanks for the link. I had a look at the manual and from what I can see the off peak time needs to be set internally in the unit, and that would have been done when it was installed.

The water used to be heated overnight but for some reason it stopped a long time ago. Now when I turn on the Water Heater Switch the water starts heating straight away which is not what I want - I need it to come on overnight.

No-one (as far as I know) opened the unit and changed the off-peak time mechanism so does anyone know why the water might have stopped heating overnight? Do I need to get an electrician to look at this or is it a diy job?

I have the manual and I've snipped the relevant page - see attached image. My problem is I'm not really confident enough to go messing with this. However if someone was to say just open it up and change the settings (i.e. it's a diy job) then I'd probably give it a go.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Ok the dial on top is your timer, where you have summer time you need to have it to the current time on that line, I.e roughly 19.00.

The segments from 12-4 am and 6 - 10 am is the time that your water will come on at.
    The switch has to be set to "timed" for this to work.

The other dial is basically a 2 hour boost timers so you lets say want to set it for an hour when you pop out during the day then turn it till the pointy bit is at 1 hour and the switch is set to timed.

Edit: my apt had this and the off peak time was the cheaper rates set by esb from midnight etc on the meter itself

Ok that kind of makes sense except that when I set the switch to "timed" the thing starts heating straight away. I 've done this at a few different times during the day and it always comes on immediately. Is it banjaxed or are the settings wrong somehow?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Ok that kind of makes sense except that when I set the switch to "timed" the thing starts heating straight away. I 've done this at a few different times during the day and it always comes on immediately. Is it banjaxed or are the settings wrong somehow?

Make sure the smaller dial is turned to off and try it then

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Make sure the smaller dial is turned to off and try it then

Ok good call it's probably coming on straight away because the boost switch in on. Will try turning that off and setting the heater switch to "timed" and see if it heats overnight.

Yeah, it should be ok but i think that 8 odd hours of heating water overnight is madness so you can manipulate the timer to suit. Example of this is:

I wanted only 1 hour of the water heating as it was enough for me so every evening I would set the time to something completely different so that at 6am when I was waking up the clok now displayed 1am and had the water heated, I would then turn off the switch and reset it again that evening when I got home.

Yeah, it should be ok but i think that 8 odd hours of heating water overnight is madness so you can manipulate the timer to suit.

You're right it is madness. You would think that once it heated all the water it would switch off. I read somewhere that this E7 Quartz model has a minmum of 4 hours and can't be set to any less than this. Do I need to open it up and change things inside to get it down to 4 hours instead of 8?
    I wanted only 1 hour of the water heating as it was enough for me so every evening I would set the time to something completely different so that at 6am when I was waking up the clok now displayed 1am and had the water heated, I would then turn off the switch and reset it again that evening when I got home.

Good idea but from now I'll be having different short term tenants in the apartment so probably not going to work.

You're right it is madness. You would think that once it heated all the water it would switch off. I read somewhere that this E7 Quartz model has a minmum of 4 hours and can't be set to any less than this. Do I need to open it up and change things inside to get it down to 4 hours instead of 8?

Good idea but from now I'll be having different short term tenants in the apartment so probably not going to work.

Im not too sure on the setting of time down to 4 hours. One of my mates lived in the same apt complex as me and he just left it on all the time and never had a bill for more than 100 every 2 months so if they are set right on the install then it should be ok.

• Advertisement

if they are set right on the install then it should be ok.

I'm thinking this might be the problem..

Advertisement