Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recently Unemployed, In Debt, Advice Please

Options
  • 29-06-2014 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi
    I lost my job about 8 weeks ago, spent most of that time numb with my head in the sand.
    I have to face the music now and looking for advice on my debts.
    I've a mortgage of around €200k, payments €970, arrears €2k,on a 3 month break at present.
    A CU loan of €22.5k, payments €535 mth,arrears €500, haven't made payments in 6weeks.
    A Credit card with 3.5k, payments up to date and a overdraft at 2.5k
    I'm on jobseekers benefit and I rented the house out and receive €500 a month.
    Would anyone have any advice on how best to approach this situation.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sorry for your situation, but at least you are now facing up to the problem.

I think your first port of call should be MABS or a Citizen Advice centre, as its obvious you need help.

Wish you all the best, and remember that you won't be turfed out of your home in the near future, so you will have a roof over you for a while anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Again, I echo the previous poster's sentiment. Have been out of work and in debt, extremely difficult place to be.

When I was in that position in 2009, I used a crowd called national debt relief to manage my debts for me. They do take a cut of between 10-15% of your monthly payments but they will deal with all correspondence from your creditors and try to negotiate a deal with them you can afford.

Yes there has been some horror stories about these sort of companies, but this crowd really helped me. I would, as previous poster suggested, talk to Mabs.

I didn't at the time as they were snowed under being the times that were in it.

I wish you the best of luck in what ever decision you make.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

mabs, mabs ,mabs all the way

especially as it's a free service.

bring every sheet of paper you have in with you.

also fill out a financial statement too and bring that, the bank would have given you one before you got the repayment holiday.

Advertisement