Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

council house purchase

Options
  • 29-06-2014 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭

my parents have been living in a council house since the 1965 im just wondering would anyone know how much it would cost if they wanted to purchase the house ,considering all the rent they paid on it they could have bought a mansion lol but if anyone has some sort of idea i would be great ful if you could tell me an average quote thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I don't believe its possible any more. AFAIK, the scheme was closed in 2012.

Every social housing unit that councils have now is needed for poor people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I don't believe its possible any more. AFAIK, the scheme was closed in 2012.

Every social housing unit that councils have now is needed for poor people.

Yes, it has been replaced by the incremental purchase scheme which applies to new houses only

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭nilsonmickey

I purchased my grandmothers house last year. She lived there for 65 years so I was able to purchase at a discount.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

my parents have been living in a council house since the 1965 im just wondering would anyone know how much it would cost if they wanted to purchase the house ,considering all the rent they paid on it they could have bought a mansion lol but if anyone has some sort of idea i would be great ful if you could tell me an average quote thanks

Too general to give a definite answer. I suggest that you make enquiries at the council on their behalf. Different council areas have different approaches to selling to tenants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Shouldn't be allowed. If you can afford to buy a house, you can afford to buy a different house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭nilsonmickey

Yes but its cheaper if you get a discount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Yes but its cheaper if you get a discount.
    Shouldn't be a discount.

Advertisement