Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westport Festival of Food and Music 2014

Options
  • 29-06-2014 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭

A highly scientific survey in some Westport pubs last night indicate that the first day was a great success, helped by the good weather and the splendid ambience around Westport HOuse.

Any views or comments?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

nuac wrote: »
    A highly scientific survey in some Westport pubs last night indicate that the first day was a great success, helped by the good weather and the splendid ambience around Westport HOuse.

Any views or comments?

Absolutely superb. Great venue and the layout and facilities were superb, only gripe would be that it was pricey for food and drink but the variety of food and drink was super.
    Great for the kids and the queues were never too crazy. Weather was georgous and the acts were all v good.
    Can't wait until next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Indeed.

Report on Radio One just now

Glad it went well. A lot of work involved.

The good weather was a great lift to all events around the West

Aeons ago a grandmother used to send me down to the church to hold a seat for her ( at a time huge crowds went to Mass ) . N ow in Festival time my children ask me to go early to the pub to hold a few places for them after the Festival

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It was a brilliant weekend. Great weather, great music, great atmosphere, and Ross Lewis (of Chapter One fame) cooked me lunch! :)

Strong contender for best act of the weekend: the Ukulele Orchestra. Those guys are amazing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It was a brilliant weekend. Great weather, great music, great atmosphere, and Ross Lewis (of Chapter One fame) cooked me lunch! :)

Strong contender for best act of the weekend: the Ukulele Orchestra. Those guys are amazing.

2 Cellos were my highlight, the guys are mental :D Place was hoping with them.
    Was great to be in place even though people were drinking there was never an ounce of trouble and age spread from 1 to 70 I would say all mingling.

When the weather is good there is no where to top this country :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Had a great time too. Very relaxed festival.

I camped the Saturday night and it was a pleasure to have real toilets, showers and a clean spacious campsite which made other festivals look like Calcutta cramped shanty towns with rivers of urine flowing from the portaloos. Having a real campsite rather than a temporary one makes a massive difference.

To be honest I though there could have been more food stalls. While the choice was good the queues were fairly long on Sunday evening up near the main stage and there was room and demand for another 3-5 food vans/stalls. Minor complaint though for an overall excellent weekend. Roll on next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Just went on the Sunday, fabulous day.

Loved the intimate setting in the RTE1 tent for Sophie Ellis Bexter, I had missed her on the main stage. She has a fab voice.

Saw Foil Arms and Hog in the comedy tent, for three young lads they had a well polished and very very funny routine.

Legged it over to the main stage to see Sinead O Connor, she is looking and sounding better than ever.

Bryan Adams was as phoar as always. His set was electric!

I even had a go on the kiddies train during the day, lol

The food vans had really long que's in the evening. Half an hour queuing to pay €6 for a burger. When we were leaving our fold up chairs (€10 bought inside and well worth it!) out to the car before Bryan came on we got chips in Danollas, 2 minutes que and yummy.

The town was alive for the weekend, the weather really was the icing on the cake. The organisers can be proud of a job well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

It may not be back if locals don't support it. People looking for discounts and others booking last minute make it high risk for the promoter.

None of the previous festival attempts in the West really worked. This was special: the location, the atmosphere, family friendly, food, comedy the acts. It has the potential to become a really great annual event.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20210:festival-may-not-return-in-2015&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Neworder79 wrote: »
    It may not be back if locals don't support it. People looking for discounts and others booking last minute make it high risk for the promoter.

None of the previous festival attempts in the West really worked. This was special: the location, the atmosphere, family friendly, food, comedy the acts. It has the potential to become a really great annual event.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20210:festival-may-not-return-in-2015&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

it wont be back if the rumours i heard are true.

With regard to the festival not been profitable....

€160 for a couple to see acts passed there sell by date, the tickets were too expensive for the average couple. For all those that brought a bunch of kids for free it was probably great value. But its paying entrants that will make any future festival a success.

They should of charged €10 - €15 for the kids and reduced the adult ticket prices or sold half day tickets for the main events. Lots of people would of paid €40 - €50 just to see Bryan Adams.

€6 for a beer, yet its €5 at most gigs with a cheaper entrance fee.

Most people i know from Westport didn't pay at all. So it looks like those adults that actually went in without children subsidised everybody, not a recipe for success.

Could see a standalone Springsteen concert @€;70 doing very well and been a sell out, probably wouldn't be setup to subsidise families.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Embarrassing if true (locals corking up to gate looking to get in free). Does not sound as if these promoters will be back. As regards Springsteen, bring it on. Ive seen him many times around the world and is currently working on a new album....would love to see him perform in my home county.

• Advertisement
Advertisement