Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

V and mah difference in rechargeable batteries?

Options
  • 29-06-2014 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

I have a camera which takes 1.25v 2000 mah rechargeable batteries. I bought new ones but did not notice they are .12v 1300 mah.

My question is is that why the camera only lasts a few minutes or could it be the camera. Want to know before buying new 1.25v 2000 mah rechargeables

Edit if this should be in electrical could someone move?Thanks

Comments

Moved to electrical as requested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The lower mah means the battery voltage drops below the nominal voltage quicker than they would with higher capacity batteries. Voltage level is how the camera detects the batteries state of charge, and when they get low.

You can use higher than the 2000mah ones as well for better capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭GoodLord

Bruthal wrote: »
    The lower mah means the battery voltage drops below the nominal voltage quicker than they would with higher capacity batteries. Voltage level is how the camera detects the batteries state of charge, and when they get low.

You can use higher than the 2000mah ones as well for better capacity.
    thanks can i use 1.5 v battery in a 1.25 v camera. I have not seen 1.25 anywhere just 1.2 or 1.5

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

GoodLord wrote: »
    thanks can i use 1.5 v battery in a 1.25 v camera. I have not seen 1.25 anywhere just 1.2 or 1.5

Most rechargeable AA batteries are Ni-Mh so the voltage isn't really the issue, it's the capacity you need to look out for.

These days I'd be looking for 2,500 mAh as a minimum and preferably up around 2,700. There are lots of older cheap batteries out there of which your 1,300 batteries would be an example but they are total crap and to be avoided. Don't buy anything under 2,500 and stop worrying about the voltage.

1.2v is the nominal voltage of them rechargeable batteries, which is the voltage halfway between fully charged and fully discharged.

They are around 1.5 volts when freshly charged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

1.5 volts is normally for disposable batteries and 1.2 for rechargable batteries.

frankmul wrote: »
    1.5 volts is normally for disposable batteries and 1.2 for rechargable batteries.
    they are rechargables 1.25 v in my camera . i can use 1.5v rechargables? have seen them

Yea rechargeable batteries are described by their half charged voltage state(nominal voltage), where as disposable ones are by their voltage when new.

Both ni-mh and disposable AAs are around 1.5v when fully charged/new

You will never get an Ni-MH battery above 1.3V, the technology doesn't stretch to it. 1.27V or so if I'm lucky and I use good quality models, all 2,750 mAh or higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

coylemj wrote: »
    You will never get an Ni-MH battery above 1.3V, the technology doesn't stretch to it. 1.27V or so if I'm lucky and I use good quality models, all 2,750 mAh or higher.
    they are rechargables 1.25 v in my camera . i can use 1.5v rechargables? have seen them

If you can get them, yes. The camera shouldn't care if it's 1.2, 1.25 or 1.5 volt batteries. As other people have said, get large capacity batteries, 2500mAh or more. That's what you need to look for.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »

I've often seen them up around 1.5v or close to it fresh from charging, although being a fast charger will push them a little.

They won't sustain that for long when loaded, but will head down to what the chemistry would suggest/generate.

frankmul wrote: »
    If you can get them, yes. The camera shouldn't care if it's 1.2, 1.25 or 1.5 volt batteries. As other people have said, get large capacity batteries, 2500mAh or more. That's what you need to look for.
    are you sure the 1.5v will not harm the camera?

The manual says
    2 AA size alkaline batteries or
    2 AA size NIMH batteries
    The ones that came with it were 1.25v 2000mah

are you sure the 1.5v will not harm the camera?

The manual says
    2 AA size alkaline batteries or
    2 AA size NIMH batteries
    The ones that came with it were 1.25v 2000mah

They will be fine. As said, the NiMH batteries voltage is limited to below 1.5v when in use.

Alkaline batteries are around 1.5v when new

Bruthal wrote: »
    They will be fine. As said, the NiMH batteries voltage is limited to below 1.5v when in use.

Alkaline batteries are around 1.5v when new

+1 Most cameras which take AA batteries usually ship with 2 x alkalines in the box, there's never a problem with 1.5V batteries. I tell people to always keep a pair of Durcell alkalines as emergency backup (because they have a fantastic shelf life) but to normally use rechargeables. Alkalines are useless in digital cameras, especially if you're using the flash like at a wedding or a party.

There is a rechargeable battery that solves the problem of self-drain, they're called Eneloop, I think the technology was developed by Sanyo. They don't have the same capacity as the modern Ni-Mh batteries but they hold the charge for much longer.

Yea I use them eneloop ones myself in one or two items.

Advertisement