Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Received a text from a named person, but not in my contact list

Options
  • 29-06-2014 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,647 ✭✭✭✭

I was wondering how this is done?

I received a text message today from someone asking about a car I had for sale. Immediately the alarm bells start ringing as I have received a few scam calls/texts, but I was wondering how this person got their name to appear as (for example) "Bob Smith" on my text message list, when I don't have BOB SMITH stored as a contact?

I know it must be possible as the OH recently received a txt from the national school our child will be attending in Sept with the principals name appearing instead of the mobile number the text came from.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Google account id say. Is this on Android?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,647 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yes, Android.

It looks like it definitely another scam though, as I decided to send an email to the address mentioned in the text, and I got an immediate reply saying "BOB SMITH wants to purchase your Gumtree advert", click on this link!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I'd imagine that were you to try to save the 'number' of that text, it would treat the name as if it were a number.

If so, someone inserted text as the mobile originator MSIDN (mobile number), which is supported by many bulk SMS providers / operator networks.

My guess is that you're advertising your car online at the moment, they used a bot to harvest mobile numbers of people selling things and now you've also given them your email address when you responded. Click on that link and I guarantee they'll harvest even more information about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,647 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I didn't reply;)

And yes I do have a car for sale, and received a few texts - all which looked like scams and were treated as such.

But the other text from the school was genuine, was just wondering how it was done.

Advertisement