Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.com or .ie

• 29-06-2014 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

When creating a website for a business that will be in Ireland only, is it better to have it ending in .ie or .com or does it matter?

Thanks for any info/ direction.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Try to get both but redirect the .com to the .ie is the general rec.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Fluxfan

If your business is definitely only going to ever operate in Ireland, I'd go with .ie. Gives more of an signal to google who you are which is important for your organic listings now. E.g. all other factors equal, I'd feel that google would list a .ie business higher in ireland than a .com for searches

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rankingelite

.ie is the way to go if your business is only operating in Ireland. I had a .com for a website hosted with irish hosting and it didn't rank well in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dare2dream

Great, thank you.
    I do notice that the domain name I'm looking for is used in the US but with .com
    .ie is still available, do you think would cause problems?
    I'm not set on the name as of yet but thought I had something promising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

dare2dream wrote: »
    Great, thank you.
    I do notice that the domain name I'm looking for is used in the US but with .com

It depends.
    If the domain is a generic term like "cool widgets" then you *should* be fine, but if it's something that's potentially trademarked then you could run into issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

dare2dream wrote: »
    Great, thank you.

I have two .ie domains with .com equivalents - not owned/run by me. I've never had an issue as I fight in the .ie corner and they in the US.

So, fire away. dont get too hung up in the .ie stuff - but get the domain correct - it will be your business brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dare2dream

Appreciate the info.
    Perhaps I can ask if you know of any software that could bring up variations of the name I was thinking about or indeed any software that could give me some name ideas with some key words from the business?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

+1 for .ie

Advertisement