Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Round 2 Qualifier Draw

• 29-06-2014 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

On Morning Ireland tomorrow at 8:30
    Round 2a
    Games to take place on Saturday, July 5th
    Bowl 1 – Round 1a Winners; Laois, Longford, Wicklow, Limerick
    Bowl 2 – Beaten Provincial Semi-finalists: Wexford, Antrim, Tipperary, Sligo

Round 2B
    Games to take place on Saturday, July 12th
    Bowl 1 – Round 1b winners: Tyrone, Down, Cavan, Carlow
    Bowl 2 – Beaten Provincial Semi-finalists: Kildare, Monaghan/Armagh, Clare, Roscommon

Teams that have met before CAN meet again. Draw procedure is that a team from each bowl is placed unopened in a middle bowl; first team drawn from this has home venue*
    * Exception: where two teams who have already met in the 2014 Provincial Championship, are drawn to meet, the winner of the earlier game in the Championship shall have home venue irrespective of who comes out first

The B side of the draw is far harder

Based on the final results after the NFL this year the A side has the teams that finished

13th
    20th
    21st
    23rd
    25th
    27th
    28th
    30th

whereas the B side has sides which finished

5th
    7th
    12th
    17th
    18th
    26th
    32nd

and depending on how Monaghan v Armagh replay goes either 10th or 15th

Just to show the difference in the 2 sides - Sligo who are the 2nd highest ranked team in side A would be the 3rd lowest in side B

There doesnt seem to be the potential for too many interesting ties in Side A for the neutral but Side B might well throw up a tasty fixture or two - Tyrone v Kildare as an all Division 1 tie would be interesting especially after the robbery Tyrone got away with in the league ;Cavan v Roscommon for a 3rd time this year would be interesting ; Tyrone,Down, Cavan v the loser of Monaghan/Armagh would make a potentially interesting all Ulster clash.

Carlow will be hoping to draw Clare I'd imagine as otherwise the good feeling built up by the win against Waterford could vanish very quickly

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/2/2906142056-all-ireland-football-qualifiers-round-2-draw/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Question: Within the two sides A and B are they open draws or will it be provincial semi losers vs qualifier rd 1 winners?

Also when the beaten provincial finalists join the qualifiers (in round 4?) will the A and B sides still be in effect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Am I right in thinking that Monaghan or Armagh will now have to play three weekends in a row?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Question: Within the two sides A and B are they open draws or will it be provincial semi losers vs qualifier rd 1 winners?

Also when the beaten provincial finalists join the qualifiers (in round 4?) will the A and B sides still be in effect?

It's provincial semi losers vs qualifier rd 1 winners

yup - losers of Munster and Connacht finals will play 2 sides from A while losers of Ulster and Leinster play side B.

More here

http://www.hoganstand.com/kerry/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=219083

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The only team Kildare have a hope against is Carlow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Lemlin wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that Monaghan or Armagh will now have to play three weekends in a row?

Yup and could even be the dreaded "six-day turnaround" depending on when the ties are fixed for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

From a Limerick pov, I'd fancy a crack off any of the teams we can meet- Wexford, Sligo, Tipp & Antrim; although considering how well Tipp beat us the first day, I would rather not play them.

Beat Wexford in the league, seem to have something of a hoodoo over them in recent years... beat them on that great night in Portlaoise, beat them in the league this year, beat them when they topped Division 3 and we went down.

We lost to Sligo in the league, but we really should have won and I'd definitely fancy our chances against them. And we're a division higher than Antrim, who are a good side and beat a Fermanagh side that hammered us.

We'd need a huge improvement, but any of those sides should be considered beatable imo. Big chance for Brudair & co.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

GAA Football All-Ireland Senior Championship Round 2A
    Wexford v Laois
    Tipperary v Longford
    Limerick v Antrim
    Wicklow v Sligo

GAA Football All-Ireland Senior Championship Round 2B
    Carlow v Clare
    Cavan v Roscommon
    Tyrone v Monaghan/Armagh
    Down v Kildare

Tyrone v Monaghan/Armagh stand out tie by a mile.
    Wexford/Laois has the potential to be a good game.
    my winners in bold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

The absolute best possible draw for Clare. We should beat Carlow the way we have performed this year so hopefully the season continues for the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Jaysus, that top half is a lot weaker. 2 big names to go out in the last 2 ties.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Jaysus, that top half is a lot weaker. 2 big names to go out in the last 2 ties.

It's a joke. You're losing better teams because of this new layout. Bar Laois, the seven other teams in the top half all played in Division 3/4 this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

ya its a pretty weird set up alright, should be an open draw and off ye go.

what was the reason for changing things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

That would be nuts if Monagahn had to play Tyrone again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Cork and Kerry play this Sunday and the loser will then have nearly three weeks to prepare for a team from the 'A' group of the Qualifiers.

Meanwhile, the Ulster Final loser will be in action again two weeks after the Final and face a team from the 'B' group. Meath will also face a fairly tough tie in their fourth round Qualifier, at least they will have three weeks to recover.

The six day turnaround is gone for provincial final losers (assuming no replay), but at the cost of a much more lopsided draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

How did the teams get put into each section? It cant have been a geographical thing?

Lojak wrote: »
    How did the teams get put into each section? It cant have been a geographical thing?

Depends on what side of the draw you were on in your province.

I don't know if there was a separate draw or if they just said determined that the first teams drawn out in each province were the A stream etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,466 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Lojak wrote: »

It’s based on the various provincial draws

Each draw has an A and a B side, like a top and bottom half.

It’s just a coincidence that the A side of each draw was weaker than the B side.
    The losers from Connaught and Munster go into the A issde 4th round, Leinster and Ulster losers into the B side.

It must be noted also that had Dublin or Cork lost prior to the their provincial final they would have ended up in the A side.
    Had Mayo or Kerry lost prior to their provincial finals they would have ended up in the B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Redsoxfan wrote: »

Meath will also face a fairly tough tie in their fourth round Qualifier, at least they will have three weeks to recover.

Or Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Not a fan of splitting it up. I prefer the open nature to it. Think it was brought in to create more fixture certainty. Has it worked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭radharc

The absolute best possible draw for Clare. We should beat Carlow the way we have performed this year so hopefully the season continues for the squad.

I'm sure Carlow are equally as delighted with their draw...

So how does Round 3 work then?

radharc wrote: »
    I'm sure Carlow are equally as delighted with their draw...

So how does Round 3 work then?

Round 3 is the four A winners playing each other and 4 B winners playing each other.

The two A teams that emerge from Round 3 will play the Munster and Connacht Final losers while the two B teams that emerge will play the Ulster and Leinster Final losers.

• Advertisement

Or Dublin?

Sure, why not....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Round 3 is the four A winners playing each other and 4 B winners playing each other.

The two A teams that emerge from Round 3 will play the Munster and Connacht Final losers while the two B teams that emerge will play the Ulster and Leinster Final losers.

Whoever gets Carlow or Clare will be chuffed then. The other game will be tough whoever it is.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Or Dublin?

Meath

Antrim is a decent draw. A good enough side, but who are beatable. Hope we up our performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Every team apart from maybe Tyrone and the losers of Monaghan/Armagh will be reasonably happy with the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭laois gael

Probably the hardest Draw Laois could have got.

Wexford will say the same.

Seems unfair that Laois have to travel to wexford park again this year.

Could be a disaster for Monaghan a few mins away from a repeat of lasts years Ulster final where they would have been fancying themselves.

Who would have known after that..

Now its Another tough game against Armagh which will test their injuries and their small squad
    Loose that and its tyrone again 6 days later OUCH

Carlow and Clare will be happy with the draw and it will be a bonus for one of them to be going in the championship near the end of July..

Kildare won't fancy Down will this game be on the 12th of July I wouldnt like to be travelling up their in the Southern Reg car on that particular night in question??

Cavan and Roscommon should be a right good open football match that will be well attended and have good rivilary being border counties!

Limerick will be happy with home advantage against Antrim and will come through that I think.

Wicklow v Sligo is another game that both teams will be looking forward to with a chance of making it through to the next round.

Tipperary and Longford is a hard one to call I think Home advantage might swing it for the Tipp men!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

laois gael wrote: »
    Probably the hardest Draw Laois could have got.

Wexford will say the same.

Seems unfair that Laois have to travel to wexford park again this year.

Could be a disaster for Monaghan a few mins away from a repeat of lasts years Ulster final where they would have been fancying themselves.

Who would have known after that..

Now its Another tough game against Armagh which will test their injuries and their small squad
    Loose that and its tyrone again 6 days later OUCH

Carlow and Clare will be happy with the draw and it will be a bonus for one of them to be going in the championship near the end of July..

Kildare won't fancy Down will this game be on the 12th of July I wouldnt like to be travelling up their in the Southern Reg car on that particular night in question??

Cavan and Roscommon should be a right good open football match that will be well attended and have good rivilary being border counties!

Limerick will be happy with home advantage against Antrim and will come through that I think.

Wicklow v Sligo is another game that both teams will be looking forward to with a chance of making it through to the next round.

Tipperary and Longford is a hard one to call I think Home advantage might swing it for the Tipp men!

There's no border between Roscommon and Cavan. Maybe a bit of a rivalry but that's only re-emerged in recent years. And I wouldn't bet on an open game of football either.

Syferus wrote: »
    There's no border between Roscommon and Cavan. Maybe a bit of a rivalry but that's only re-emerged in recent years. And I wouldn't bet on an open game of football either.

I agree. It will be a war of attrition with both teams playing blanket defences. Cavan dropped the blanket defence a bit in the League final but we won't be doing it in this match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

The best possible outcome of that draw for us was a home game v Clare. The only chance we'd have of a win really. Even at that it's unlikely, but then again Clare only drew with Waterford so who knows!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭laois gael

Sorry was thinking of Leitrim but still a bit of rivalry between them none the less.

I think it will be decent game of football from two young teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Stevecw wrote: »
    The best possible outcome of that draw for us was a home game v Clare. The only chance we'd have of a win really. Even at that it's unlikely, but then again Clare only drew with Waterford so who knows!

But then Clare beat Waterford well in the replay in Dungarvan;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Probably a good decision but don't like the idea of bowing down to bigots

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=219564

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

Longford have a great chance of going on a big run in the qualifiers.

Miccoli wrote: »
    Longford have a great chance of going on a big run in the qualifiers.

Just had to bump this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Wins for tipp,limerick,Sligo and Wexford v laois play tomorrow is round 3 games played in neutral venues?

• Advertisement

Wins for tipp,limerick,Sligo and Wexford v laois play tomorrow is round 3 games played in neutral venues?

No, last year they weren't. Cavan played Derry in Celtic Park last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Tipperary, Limerick, Sligo, Laois

Do those 4 play each other now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Neeson wrote: »

They play the losers of the provincial finals

Hope cork get tipp.

• Advertisement

They play the losers of the provincial finals

Hope cork get tipp.

They play each other first.

Neeson wrote: »

Yes. Two winners face the Cork or the Connacht Final loser.

Advertisement