Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying with 2 piece buggy

Options
  • 29-06-2014 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

We're taking a short haul flight soon and plan to bring our bugaboo chameleon. As the child is under 2, aer lingus won't charge and will allow is take the buggy as far as the gate. I'm
    Just wondering if it's necessary to buy a cover/case/bag for the two pieces once we leave them at the gate. I have no intention of buying the overpriced bugaboo cover but I would look for a cheap alternative on eBay if necessary.
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You'll be fine without the case, the buggies are usually last on, first off so safe enough,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

yellow hen wrote: »
    We're taking a short haul flight soon and plan to bring our bugaboo chameleon. As the child is under 2, aer lingus won't charge and will allow is take the buggy as far as the gate. I'm
    Just wondering if it's necessary to buy a cover/case/bag for the two pieces once we leave them at the gate. I have no intention of buying the overpriced bugaboo cover but I would look for a cheap alternative on eBay if necessary.
    Any thoughts?

We brought to our bugaboo to london and it was fine. They just tag the chassis and the basinette/seat individually. It arrived perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Sligo1 wrote: »
    We brought to our bugaboo to london and it was fine. They just tag the chassis and the basinette/seat individually. It arrived perfect.

thank you both. I was going to bring a maclaren but we'll be depending on the buggy for some day time naps and he just wont sleep properly in the maclaren. thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

One piece of advice, I didn't need a cover but I found it was handy to use a sort of belt to fasten around the buggy, as the little fastener thing can undo itself when the buggy is moved around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Was just about to post the same about the belt. We were going to get a bag for our buggy but just got a normal luggage strap thing in tesco and once buggy was folded put that around it (had it measured to the right size before getting to airport so there was no messing around at the boarding gate). Was fine with just that.

Have seen buggies pop open when being put on/off plane and then baggage handlers trying to force them closed when they don't know how.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Great idea re belt! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

& remove anything that can be easily detached - shoulder straps etc - you may never see them again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

yellow hen wrote: »
    Any thoughts?

I would get a cheap cover on ebay if possible. Are they expensive? I wouldn't trust the baggage handlers after seeing them in action flinging the bags. I am a devil for scratching my bugaboo and I love it so god only knows the damage 1 careless worker may do!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,318 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Sorry to bump the thread, but whats the situation with Aer Lingus buggies for children over the age of 2? We have two 3yo twins & intended to bring buggies for them with us on holiday as they're still too small to be walking long distances etc. We had been previously told that this wouldnt be a problem but never specified age limits etc. Will we have to pay & check these in or bring them with us to the departure gate?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

As far as I know 'officially' a buggy isn't included in baggage for over 2's but have never heard of that being enforced. We flew with our child when she was 3 last year, brought the buggy and no questions even ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I agree with sillysocks. Officially buggies aren't carried for over two's but I've done it lots of times and never seen it enforced for anyone else either. I went away a few weeks ago and I could even load the buggy at the luggage desk as my son is well able to walk through the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I would get a cover of some sort, you may not be able to bring it to the gate at your destination airport when returning. I flew last month and Dublin was ok, they allowed me to bring it to the gate. However in Hamburg Aer Lingus would not allow me and I had to check it in and use one of the portable buggys that the airport provides.

Advertisement