Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Science

• 29-06-2014 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hey, just wondering if anybody could possibly give me anymore information about this course. Any idea of contact hours, a timetable, hours of labs.. *ecking anything really :D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9 scarftoon

So its a 4 year course.
    Year 1 is the basics of the course whereby you do cell biology/ physics/ chem/ physiology etc...in addition to more specific course modules like haematology/ transfusion/ clinical chem and microbiology. You begin these in the 2nd semester of year 1. Labs maybe twice a week

Be ready for year 2 as it is jam packed covering everything in year 1 except physics with the addition of statistics,biochemistry,communications, genetics, Histology....this year will go into more depth of the specific med lab modules. if you can survive year 2 you will be flying...hardest year by far..13/14 exams in total which were sat between Xmas and summer. A lot more lab work prehaps 4/5 labs per week.

Year 3 offers clinical placement from Nov- May. In college from Sept-Nov..then out to designated hospital for work placement being rotated through the different departments...will need to keep a log book/ do projects. Oral examination at the end of placement.

Year 4 lets you specialize into either Haematology/transfusion/histology OR Biochem/Micro in addition to Imunology/ Epidemiology/Pathophysiology. Labs were maybe 2/3 times a week. Interesting but tough enough year. Final exams sat in march.March-May was dedicated to writing the thesis followed by oral presentaion of it.

In general you will be in from 9-5 esp in year 2. Year4 has less hours for the simple reason you are expected to work by yourself and formulate notes etc..Continous assessment plays a major role throughout so try keep on top of it! Trust Me!!. I am only speaking from experience of the course in GMIT but I am sure this course follows the same trend regardless of college

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭diarmo06

Thank you so very much for that!

Advertisement