Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family Weekend in Limerick

• 29-06-2014 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Planning a weekend away in Limerick, maybe July 12th and 13th for a few families together and we're looking stuff for kids to do, 12, 11, 8, 2 x 2 are the ages of the kids so ideally something/somewhere that will have something for them all.

Next priority would be a good family friendly restaurant, good value if possible. We can look for accommodation after that.

I know its City of Culture so we were hoping there would be something on but there doesn't seem to be.

Also is there a big playground in around the city centre, or is there a park with stuff for kids?

Also, are there any good hotels with swimming pool and kids clubs, etc.

Any help here would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The Strand Hotel is a lovely hotel close to the city centre (just over the bridge) with a pool for the kids.

Marco Polo is a restaurant which seems to be popular with families. Reasonable lunch time deal too.

The People's Park has a playground and is always packed with other families.

I'd recommend taking a trip to King John's Castle as it is entertaining for both young and old. The Red Viking tour bus might be an idea too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Limerick city of culture will probably be a bit arty for your children unless your into the arts AMD have brought them to other art events.

As said above the stand is an excellent hotel and is great value the savoy is also a great hotel but is probably out of your budget.

Restaurant wise for value and OK food I'd say Marco Polo is your best bet I haven't eaten there myself but I've heard good enough things.

You should definitely visit King Johns castle and the hunt museum is also fairly interesting.
    If visiting Peoples park I'd recommend popping into the gallery there's also a lovely cafe in there as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

July 12th is the day of the pig n porter and they usually have kids bouncy castles etc to keep the kids entertained on the day, i believe it could be 10/15 euro entry fee http://www.pignporter.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

You could also stay at the university, they rent out their accommodation in summer. The campus is a great place for a stroll around, lots of restaurants and the Sport Arena too.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

Saturday morning take a walk around the Market.

Walk along the riverfront from Claws to King Johns castle to the Treaty stone. Stop off at the Curragower Pub for a drink. Nice view of castle from there. Short walk up to the Strand Hotel from there. (if you end up staying there)

Tour of Thomond Park Rugby Ground?

There are a couple of Karting places in Limerick (Delta or there is one in Corbally)

www. limerickwalkingtours.com/prices.html or www. limerickcivictrust.ie/walkingtours.html

Didn't like Marco Polo myself but upstairs is the Jasmine. All you can eat Chinese Buffet. (Saturday is cheaper than Sunday).

Maybe go out to Bunratty castle? Might get a discount if there is a group. Maybe ring ahead?

Hunt museum is free on a Sunday.

FIFA world cup is on that weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭gruffler91

Would also recommend staying in the accommodation in UL. Haven't stayed there personally but have heard great reviews from families who have.

Texas Steak Out in Limerick city centre has great food- definitely something on the menu to suit everyone.

Lots of great activities already mentioned- unigolf in castletroy is also worth a look for some indoor mini golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Things to do

Peoples park would be the local park/playground. It's a good playground and therefore very busy

There is a market every saturday in the Milk Market. They also show classic movies there in the evening.

King Johns castle is good. Also Bunratty castle and Folk park if you have a car. it's only 15-20 minutes outside the city.

Also it's one of the shannon heritage sites and I think there's a deal if you're going to more than one.

If you are going shopping the city center has some options, BT, Debenhams and a few others.
    Personally I think the Crescent Shopping center would be another good option. Free parking. Lots of shops, places to eat and a cinema.

Some more events listed here

Food
    Loads of really good restaurants.

Lunch
    There are loads of cafes and other lunch options around limerick.
    Kids eat free in Aribaca cafe on Shannon street on Saturdays.
    Cafe Noir down by the market is good.
    Again the market is a good choice for food too.
    The fresh crepes on cruises street are great.

Dinner
    Personal favourite is Freddies bistro.
    Then you have some other really nice ones like
    Chocolat, texas steak out, the cornstore.
    They'll all do lunch too.

If you're looking for indian is Mongol Emperor is good.

The Jasmine Palace (everyone knows it as THE Jasmine) is the best chinese in the city.
    Definitely the best if you're going for a sit down chinese.

Italian go to La Piccola (O'Connell Avenue) would be best followed by Bella Italia (Thomas Street)

There are also sushi and noodles places but I haven't tried those yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Limerick city of culture will probably be a bit arty for your children unless your into the arts AMD have brought them to other art events.

As said above the stand is an excellent hotel and is great value the savoy is also a great hotel but is probably out of your budget.

Restaurant wise for value and OK food I'd say Marco Polo is your best bet I haven't eaten there myself but I've heard good enough things.

You should definitely visit King Johns castle and the hunt museum is also fairly interesting.
    If visiting Peoples park I'd recommend popping into the gallery there's also a lovely cafe in there as well.

How very presumptuous of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

If you are in Limerick for the Munster hurling final there are plans to have a big screen on O'Connell street to show the game

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

How very presumptuous of you.

Well I'm assuming there is two families so that means 2 sets of parents so four people and 5 children. I checked the savoy website they don't have room available for that date anyway. So I checked rooms midweek are €165 for a double or twin room. They have 9 people so let's say they take 4 rooms. That's €660 for the weekend thats assuming its only 2 families though it may be 3 which would add anouther €165 if that's in there budget that's no problem and I'm sorry if the op could maybe clarify how much they were willing to spend.

Also is it not very pretentious of the people in the thread who have recommend chocolat and Marco polo and jasmin palace as these are cheap restaurants. I don't see people recommending Corn Sore, The Hamptons, Brassiere One, Brimstone or any if the many more more expensive restaurants in the city IR even in Limerick county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

Folks, hotels with swimming pools?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

UL has brilliant accommodation and the arena is located there and it has a swimming pool.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Cork Skate wrote: »

Clarion
    Maldron (Not. Great. Scenery...)
    Greenhills
    Strand
    Castletroy Park

Found them on booking.com, just tick the box for the facilities, and select pool

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sully777

Cork Skate wrote: »

The Strand, Clarion, Castletroy Park, Radisson, Green Hills and the Maldron.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Pandiani

The Woodlands in Adare has a pool and is a family friendly hotel which has a kids club.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

UL has brilliant accommodation and the arena is located there and it has a swimming pool.

Sounds good, where do I find out about that, would it be here? Also, the Arena pool is open to the public I'm guessing.
    Pandiani wrote: »
    The Woodlands in Adare has a pool and is a family friendly hotel which has a kids club.

All booked out I'm afraid ....

http://secure.woodlands-hotel.ie/bookings/packages2

Advertisement