Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking issues during Marlay Concerts

Options
  • 29-06-2014 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

So I live in Broadford, a stone throw from Marlay Park.

During concert season we usually have a couple of weeks of noise, extra bodies and cars/buses. It's fine, people behave well and plenty of garda about.

Little bit harder since I have a child now, getting him to sleep can be a nightmare!

anyway, to my point. Where in the past we received parking passes, we no longer do. My brother lives in another estate near by, but further away from the park, he gets it.?

Tonight the first concert was on and I live on a cul de sac. There were cars EVERWHERE. I could barely drive into my driveway as there was so much in the way. Also cant fit my bins out as someone is parked right outside my house on the path, right up to the wall, having a bit over my driveway entrance. Real jackass parking.

Is there anyone else within Broadford that is, or is not getting parking patrolled with passes or security?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Seemed to be fairly quiet and calm along Ballinteer Avenue last night, with spaces available at the church and in Superquinn around 6pm, so I'm surprised to hear of chaos in Broadford. Maybe you could try leaving your car on the road outside your house instead of the driveway, to stop any bad parking near you. Use your bins to block off the driveway just to be sure .

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

Bit of nightmare the other night, as we are close to the larger bus stops. People pi**ing against cars, drinking in the street outside our door.

Had a group of girls call into me because they wanted to use my bathroom!
    She said she just had a baby 6 weeks ago (i was going to say why aren't you with him, but i'm not an a**hole)

I went to collect my SO from work, when i was driving home, pulling into my house, a small Polo with two young girls squeezes their car outside my house on the footpath. I ask them nicely to move, and they do.

My neighbour wasn't as lucky! a chap rockin up sticking over her driveway, she asks him to move (i don't know how nicely!), and he tells her to f off. No consideration.

I have to take it up with the residence association it seems. they didn't apply for parking permits locally.

Not looking forward to Macklemore. Hopefully people are better spirited!!

Antigone05 wrote: »
    My neighbour wasn't as lucky! a chap rockin up sticking over her driveway, she asks him to move (i don't know how nicely!), and he tells her to f off. No consideration.
    He'd be coming back to four flat tyres after the gig if the tried that round here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Is there not some sort of Garda liaison in place on the nights? Blocking driveways, using gardens as toilets, etc . . . are acknowledged problems with these sorts of events, so what's the point in having all these extra Gardai (that we are told cost lots of money in overtime) if they can't sort out these sorts of issues on the night.

I don't know what role the residents association have *on the night* but I imagine the best they could do (since they aren't a police force) is write a strongly worded letter.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭srfc d16

I didn't get a permit either but friends of mine in heather did. It seems to be the estates on the grange road that have the restrictions. They did block off the lane at the end of my road since the morning of the 1st gig until today which was pretty annoying though.

• Advertisement

Yeah, there seemed to be Gardai and what looked like local folks at the entrances to the estates off Grange Road, though Broadford is probably a bit far away. There is a fairly strong residents assoc in Broadford, so it would be worth talking to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I hate to mention it, and I know I probably shouldn't. ...but...

You can understand why some people on the other side of the city objected to five nights in a row of it...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

K.Flyer wrote: »
    I hate to mention it, and I know I probably shouldn't. ...but...

You can understand why some people on the other side of the city objected to five nights in a row of it...

There was an article in The Sunday Times about this specifically.

I think, incl last weekend, there's been 8 concerts in Marlay and you can't argue with the disturbance these things cause.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Plus the market was closed thereby stopping small businesses from trading. As well as stopping the very popular 5km saturday run.

DLRCoCo really need to apply a bit of common sense. Marley isn't set up for weekend festivals and the more events they have, the more resistance they will garner from the local residence associations.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Plus the market was closed thereby stopping small businesses from trading. As well as stopping the very popular 5km saturday run.

DLRCoCo really need to apply a bit of common sense. Marley isn't set up for weekend festivals and the more events they have, the more resistance they will garner from the local residence associations.

In fairness, there was a lot of other small businesses inside the festival doing a huge amount of extra business.

But I do think this year's gigs was a bit too many over too long a period. 3-4 gigs over a week is OK, but not 2 or 3 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It would be preferable to see the people who stand in Marley courtyard, week after week, in sunshine, rain and freezing conditions getting some genuine extra business instead.

Advertisement