Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contents Insurance, or are specific item policies available?

Options
  • 29-06-2014 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Something Ive always been saying to myself to look into the past few years is insurance for some items that arent directly covered by our house insurance. I've built up a fairly decent tool collection, but the last time I inquired with our house insurance they would only cover small typical Diy tools under the contents. My tools are proper quality tools that I use for my own private and hobby use but they would be regarded as proper workplace tools, is there a way I can insure these, even on a seperate specific policy of some sort?

My job doesnt require me to have these tools, I just have them from previous work and for working on my hobbies, so I dont have a business policy I could add them to, etc...
    Also, how would a person go about insuring a snooker table in the house, how does a person go about insuring anything of value that doesnt fall under "typical" house contents?

Are there any house insurance companies that allow you to add specific items of value for a small fee? Or are there any dedicated polices you can take out to insure such things? I want to finally look into this properly and get some stuff insured so if anyone has experience of specific policies for certain items of value to be insured against fire, damage or theft, etc, i'd appreciate some information or some companies to read up on. Perhaps a broker recommendation even, Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Most insurance companies will allow you to specify items above a certain value. I just renewed my contents insurance in the UK and the threshold was £1500. I don't know how that would work for a set of tools where each individual item is below the threshold. Have you tried ringing some other insurers on their policies? They can vary from company to company.

Advertisement