Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degree Dropout Regrets - Advice Needed

Options
  • 30-06-2014 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I cringe at the thoughts of even writing this post because it involves the biggest regret in my life to date. I am hoping that someone might be able to advise me.

I am in my early 30's and in 1999 I began a Commerce Degree in UCD. It was a 3 year degree and I almost completed it but I failed two exams in my final year. I repeated these exams during the summer of 2002 but due to serious family issues at home I just could not concentrate on my studies. Poor excuse I know but it's the truth.

I decided to defer the repeating of these exams until the family issues at home had passed but due to financial constraints during that period I was forced to get a job. I did get a job in my academic field although at an entry level. Once I began working I just seemed to want to leave my unfinished degree in the past. I don't know why, I supposed I just felt like a failure.

Since starting work I have really tried to develop myself, studying over the last 3 years outside of work and this year getting a diploma in my particular area of expertise (business related). I do intend to continue furthering my education in that field whilst I work. I think the regrets of my earlier failure is really driving me on . . . . . but the regret still remains.

So here's the question . . . . does anyone think it would be possible for me in any way to finish that degree without having to start from scratch . . . or has too much time passed???

Part of me would love to contact the university and find out but I just feel like I'd be laughed at.

Thanks for the advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

To be honest OP the only place that can tell you categorically would be the university. Chances are that you would have to do some period of repeat study seeing as its so long since you were in college. The course content could have changed a bit in the interim although if your diploma is in the same field it may make up the difference. Given your experience there's a good chance that you wouldn't have to start at year one but only the college can say for definite.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Intouch9

To be honest, I was in a very similar boat Dropped out of my degree in 2007. Went back into the college last year who agreed to let me start from where I had left if I wanted to. I opted to start all over again altogether and do it right this time.

Go into the Uni, they won't laugh at you, it happens a lot more than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 big mama

Go for it!
    Try your original university, and see what they will do for you.

Then ask the Open University. I did a master's years ago with them- I was recently divorced, single parent and working but with no job security. The OU took my circumstances into account, were very flexible with me and I finished the degree and got a much better job.

In those days, the OU gave credits for study that was already done.

I hope that it works out for you - the best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Hi OP,

Firstly, don't be so tough on yourself; there is no need to be embarrassed. We all go through life and not everything happens in the way we want to or in the order we want.

I completed a diploma twenty years ago and wanted to do a degree but I/my parents could not afford for me to travel to do it. Cue twenty years of life/work/family issues/general laziness and 2 weeks ago I graduated with a 1st class honours. I'm delighted, it was a weight around my neck but I'm very proud of myself.

The long-winded point I'm trying to make is that are many more studying opportunities available now that were not available when I first graduated. If you find out you have to begin at an earlier stage of study, look around at the options. There might be degrees more suited to your life now that you can get exemptions for. Online and distance learning had opened up a much greater choice.

Best of luck and remember, this is the right time for you to do it. Leave your past studying issues in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 thenandnow

A big thanks for all of the replies so far. It has really lifted my spirits. I will make contact with the university so and see what they say. Will keep you posted. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

thenandnow wrote: »
    A big thanks for all of the replies so far. It has really lifted my spirits. I will make contact with the university so and see what they say. Will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Get a transcript of your results, and see how many ECT points you have (European Credit Transfer). These can be carried to other degrees, and perhaps, dependent on your work experience, you can go straight to a Masters.

Good luck with whatever study path you take, and stop the regret!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

thenandnow wrote: »

How did you get on? Any updates?

Advertisement