Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID for online shopping?

Options
  • 30-06-2014 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

I recently made a purchase from an online store. They cancelled my first order because the delivery address was a parcel motel, fair enough, they said they needed a signature.

I reordered over the weekend with a different delivery address. This morning the customer service came back asking for a scan of my passport and the front of my credit card (with the first 12 numbers blacked out) and then they would proceed with my order. They said it was due to an increasing amount of credit card fraud.

They state it is in their t&c's but regardless, I find it a bit dodgy to be sending scans of my passport and cc to a online store and...the effort that would take! On the other hand, you could commend the store for been extra thorough but it was still enough to turn me off.

I asked was this for real and if so, please cancel my order and refund the money as it's a step too far. I buy a lot from the internet and nowhere else has ever asked this of me.

Has anyone ever had this done to them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

sebcity wrote: »
    They said it was due to an increasing amount of credit card fraud.

Alarm bells should start going off at this point. Surely this request is suss if they're asking for your Passport! (*puts on tinfoil hat* They could feasibly use it for Identity Theft).
    sebcity wrote: »
    They state it is in their t&c's

Did you check?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

I did

The Seller may, in cases of suspected fraud to the credit card, ask the Customer a colour photocopy or a scan of his/her passport or identity card and a colour photocopy of the front of his/her card banking by masking the first 12 digits of card number. If the Customer does not wish to disclose these documents, he/she may cancel his/her order without charge.

It's still ridiculous!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This can happen with some online stores, for example I've had it happen with thinkgeek.com a number of years back.

Its generally done as anti-fraud when the delivery address is different to the card address and/or the purchase is large and/or international.

If your not comfortable with it then just order elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Expansys do this too.

It's not that big a deal and I didn't copy my passport. My work ID seemed to do the trick...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

next directory wanted something similar from me, they said they ask a random number of customers, I just refused and cancelled the order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭innocent_lover

Simplyelectronics.net do that quite often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Thanks for the replies, I didn't realise how common this practice was.

Advertisement