Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your gardening photos

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Stunning garden qwabercd. Pond is next on my list, with bridge too. (Unfortunately I’ve been saying that for a good few years now.) 🙄

Great day pottering about the garden today. We bought this egg a few years ago but it’s so unstable, it’s a health and safety nightmare. Hopefully the hedge will support it. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭feedthegoat

cool weather, hot colours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

@qwabercd, that is just stunning!

Are you aware that there appears to be some demonic ghosts residing on your bridge though? 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Some roses flowering quite late this year and an early Sunflower to cheer up the garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Peonies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭ShadowSA

Nothing fancy, I leave the bank to go wild as I like the contrast. Previous owners put stones over the septic tank which I want to remove and put grass down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Huge amount of roses on this bush!

Very big flower and first dahlia of the year, from a three year old tuber. Lavender perfection measuring in at a grand 24cm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Beautiful pictures and gardens

Here's my scented spot behind my outdoor seating . Common jasmine ,and a baby Buddleia giving the most beautiful perfume , when it's not wet and windy of course as it is today

My first two dahlias of the season are Hapet Micro (pink Pom) and Honka Fragile. I cut lots of flowers from the garden this morning to save them from the strong winds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭standardg60

A couple of Dahlia experts rearing their heads, pun intended 🙂

That Honka Fragile is lovely.

Love it, just waiting for some roses to unfurl and some delphiniums to bloom and then I can make a bouquet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

During the week, I found a rose cutting of mine pulled out of the pot and lying on the ground. I put it back in.

Came back from the shops this afternoon and the same one is out of the pot again. Now I have other cuttings around the place that weren't touched. I had one other cutting in a pot on the other side of the house that something had been digging in last week.

Is it birds looking for bugs in the soil? The cat? The missus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,918 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Probably a blackbird, they just love to root through compost, wood chips, or anything else that might harbour grubs.

Definitely the missus 😁

Rosa new dawn doing her beautiful thing

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Some lovely lilies and dahlias in this pot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Foxglove… jungle style.

Dan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not so much a gardening photo, but I get some incredible sunsets out in my back garden, this is tonight's. Amazing colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ellyU

New flowers in our garden

First ever California poppy

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

They are gorgeous! There is however no such thing as one California poppy - or at least, only briefly!

Hope thats a good thing, I scattered a lot of seed but only one germinated so I'm feeling very protective of it. I'm ok with it wanting to make itself at home though

They are absolutely gorgeous, but if you get a good year you can be overwhelmed by them and they loll everywhere. They are easy enough to pull up in armsfuls though and it can take a few years to get to that stage.

Post edited by looksee on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Funnily I planted seeds of about 12 different varieties in a raised bed and a sidebed. The california poppies were the only one that properly flourished!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ellyU

they're just in their comfort zone. I've also ordered a lot of different species, many of them either wilted or didn't grow at all.By the way, I recently came across an interesting article about the best promocode sites. I looked for promo codes when buying past seeds, and now I think I can save money on my next plant purchase and try something new. But it is still necessary to try what will grow well in my garden.

Post edited by ellyU on

Don't want to take the thread ot. It was my first time direct sowing flowers I'd usually start things indoors but wanted to see how they would do as I've never had much luck with things self sowing in the garden. It's only a small bed (10x5) so managing volunteers isn't a problem.

As an aside I seeded a good few breadseed poppies in the same space so I know they'll do ok (been removing seedpods as I go) but have been battling an army of slugs with my bare hands all spring and even things grown in propagators got taken once they went in the ground. It's given me a good idea of how well they might do in a rewilding situation, given the ground was tilled somewhat and was perfect conditions for germination.

Silver birches purchased as 2-3ft whips (Future forests' smallest size) in 2020 on the right, an 8ft potted Himalayan Birch on the left planted in 2019 on the left. The tree on the extreme right is actually bigger than the Himalayan Birch. You can see the direction of the prevailing wind, they are leaning towards the camera, even though they are sheltered by a field hedge.

Some more dahlias beginning to flower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭standardg60

This Hydrangea looks like it's had it's flowers painted different colours.

• Advertisement

I think that one is called Picasso, they are lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Hens attacked the other side.

Post edited by Cody montana on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Sick of coming home from holidays to find the plants in your window boxes dead?

A variety of succulents mixed in with sedum. Soil covered in a layer of stone for mulching purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

I have nursed this lacecap hydrangea back to health since we moved here 5 years ago. Display is outstanding this year. About 6 or 7 of the flower heads are tending towards purple this year. All the rest are a rich almost “hot” pink.

A Jackmanii clematis that mostly has 4 sepals (petals) but has also produced some 6 sepal flowers. I was intrigued by this and did a bit of checking up, but I can't establish whether one plant can have a mixture of 4's and 6's or whether there should be plants with just 4s and others with just 6s.

Yes, those are mostly not Jackmanii leaves, it is growing through an evergreen winter flowering clematis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Bit of growth.

• Advertisement

Begonia illumination pink 🩷

Unregistered Users

Few from last month. Waiting for weather to improve (rain is falling now) to take another shot of "fruits" - they look different now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

What's the name of the flowers in your first pic @joujoujou?

Unregistered Users

Honey Garlic. One of plenty variants.

Unregistered Users

Young ones appeared!

Dwarf mountain pine (Pinus mugo), flowers and cones:

Finally, interesting one (IMO) - this one is approx 1.5m (5ft) tall and 20 years old. Swiss Stone Pine (Pinus cembra), very slow growing tree.

• Advertisement

The bees absolutely love this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Agapanthus has finally bloomed in the past 10 days - the buds were sitting there looking ready since May. The bees seem to like it. Hydrangea seems to have some good flowers, but also big patches with no flowers. Geraniums are taking over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Speaking of bees, there have been few enough of them of late. But with the fine weather of the last few days they've really started to appear in the garden in numbers. You've got to love these little guys.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Only the last one seems to be a honeybee (even though its antennae look a bit odd), but they are all lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

My garden is usually full of bumblebees (definitely fewer than usual so far), but what about these guys? They have taken over my geraniums in the past week. Wasn't sure if wasps or bees. They keep to themselves anyway.

They are honeybees :)

They're beautiful images btw, I've been sat out watching them over the last few days it's kind of a relief to know that they're doing ok.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

https://pollinators.ie/record-pollinators/wild-honey-bee-study/ How to recognise different kind of honey bees and distinguish them from wasps and bumblebees

Apis Mellifera - european dark bee

I'm still leaning towards bee-flies.

Still in awe of these poppies 🤗

More yellow 💛

Technically apricot, grown from seed

• Advertisement
Advertisement