Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't given my p45 yet and getting worried

• 30-06-2014 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys I have looked at a lot of threads and cannot seem to find an answer, cannot get through to the revenue either.

So I have been working in a new small company for about 8 months know and have never been asked to for my p45 (i lost it as I studied abroad between this and my last job), i only work part time but very little is coming off my paychecks in terms of tax. My question is 1) Do i still have to get the p45 myself and give it in and 2) will I have to make up for 8 months of unpaid tax?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Ring revenue and they will send a P45 either to yourself or your employer.

I don't understand what you mean by "very little tax is coming out of my pay cheque". If you haven't given your employer a P45 you should be on emergency tax which is a higher rate of tax than normal - meaning you are losing more money every month. Once the P45 is cleared you'll get it all back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Have you been getting a pay slip ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you haven't given your employer a P45 you should be on emergency tax which is a higher rate of tax than normal

It's not the P45 which does this, but having a certificate of tax-credits issued. There are various ways that this can happen, and various ways that the pay-and-tax details from the employee's last job can be transmitted to Revenue. And if the last job was before January, it's irrelevant.

Ring Revenue is the right answer for the OP, though, they're the ones who can tell you what has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eightisgood

Yeah I will thanks just have not been able to get through to them at all today, I do get a payslip but I am not on emergency tax there is only 2% being taken out each week, I started in September so maybe it was because I had months of tax credits saved up?

My last job was in 2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

My last job was in 2012

Then they don't need your P45.

However they do need to know your tax credits.

They would have received (from revenue) your updated tax credits at the start of this year, so you should be on the correct tax band now.

Last year, it's impossible to say, but if I were the payroll person and your tax situation was unknown, I would have contacted revenue to get your details.

So if I had to guess, I'd say your tax situation last year might be incorrect (may have paid too much tax), but your tax situation this year should be ok. I don't know what your part-time hours and wage are, but I am assuming they are very low, hence the low amount of tax being taken.

Talk to the person who does your wages. After that, talk to revenue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement