Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

US battery pricing has been announced

• 30-06-2014 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17168

It seems that it would cost around $6500 everything included, so assuming no duty 5836 Euro - of course things tend to be more expensive on this side of pond so I would say 6500E minimum.

I wonder if such replacement would ever happen in Ireland, our batteries age so slow that value of car would be probably below 6500E at time when battery is to be replaced - usually people do not bother then with fixing their cars, not to mention that low capacity LEAF is not broken car at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

The replacement battery is also the new 2015 design, so much more heat tolerant. Not that this matters much in Ireland. The battery is also $5500 after you trade-in your old battery, which is slightly over €4,000. The packs we buy would come from the Sunderland plant in the UK, so I wouldn't be so pessimistic on the euro price.

For me I wouldn't consider it unless the Leaf remained our only car and the range had dropped by over 20%. I'd also consider it if they offered a higher capacity pack in a few years. Offering a higher capacity pack at a reasonable cost would IMO really protect the secondhand value of Nissan Leafs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

The replacement battery is also the new 2015 design, so much more heat tolerant. Not that this matters much in Ireland. The battery is also $5500 after you trade-in your old battery, which is slightly over €4,000. The packs we buy would come from the Sunderland plant in the UK, so I wouldn't be so pessimistic on the euro price.

VAT would be added at minimum, unless you believe that UK made batteries are cheaper than US made? After VAT it is 4920 Euro for just battery swap plus labour.
    For me I wouldn't consider it unless the Leaf remained our only car and the range had dropped by over 20%. I'd also consider it if they offered a higher capacity pack in a few years. Offering a higher capacity pack at a reasonable cost would IMO really protect the secondhand value of Nissan Leafs.

Would it ? I mean would you perhaps spend 10k on twice as good battery to be installed in car which already has quite a few miles in it and any time other elements can fail? You might be exceptional person, but many people would rather invest in new vehicle than do so massive investment in old car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

It's not a question I need to answer today ;) My Leaf is fit for purpose at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Mine after 42000km is still at 97% capacity :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

It's not a question I need to answer today ;) My Leaf is fit for purpose at the moment.

I think all us are in this situation, so I just wonder what you and other owners think now. I predict that because there will be market for short-range LEAFs, it would be more economical for someone requiring 80% of battery to trade his 75% LEAF for second hand 85% one - hence we will be not exchanging our batteries.

• Advertisement
Advertisement