Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three days of diarrhea

• 30-06-2014 11:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭

Both of them have it and one is slightly worse than the other. They have their regular stool mixed in with diarrhea as well as mucus, it's runny enough that they're dripping around the place after they go (sorry for the details!)

Jet (the one with more diarrhea) first showed signs of it when on a walk, he suddenly stopped and did his business straight away, and he NEVER poops on a walk.

I'm being told that they're fine and I'm overreacting, they're eating and running around as normal. But I'm wondering if I should go to the vet with this or is there something else I could do first? Starve them 24 hours?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'd starve then put them on something bland like chicken and potato/rice and see if they improve. Canned pumpkin/steamed butternut squash is also very good for firming things up. Whatever you do make sure they're drinking and don't get dehydrated.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It's no longer advised to starve a dog wth diarrhoea, as it further interferes with gut motility and can delay recovery.
    Bland food is good though, and as tk says, monitor their water intake.
    If they're in good form, eating and drinking ok, I'd give it a day or two to see does it clear before heading for the vet.
    That said, you know yourself, be ready to head to the vet at a moment's notice, as this needs to be taken in the context that it's advice on an interweb forum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Thanks guys. I'll try to get them some chicken and rice to have today. To be honest I'm not sure if they've been drinking that much as their dish is downstairs and I'm usually upstairs, but I can find out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Yoghurt is the answer! Works for all mammals. Firms things up, provides extra crime fighting bacteria, and it's liquidy to help with hydration! A tub of natural yoghurt with every meal for 3 days will do the trick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Hows the scour now?

• Advertisement

They still had diarrhea the day after having chicken and rice plus a bit of yogurt. Took the one I felt was worse off to the vet the next day, he had a feel (as well as an examination... poor boy) and he felt his intestines were a bit inflamed, most likely from all the diarrhea, but there was no other physical issues standing out to him. Both got a week's worth of antibiotics and their bowel movements were back to normal the next day.

Think I might have brought a bug home that made their tums upset as I work with a lot of dogs as it is, my friend/co-worker said her dog was the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

Our little guy had the same problem about a week ago. He was pucking with it as well. We ended up having to bring him to the vet as he wouldn't drink any water or any other liquids (which was strange for him) The vet gave him a shot and special food for stomach upset.
    It worked for a while, but now he is back to having very runny poops.. Our vet sent of a sample to be tested just to rule out bad things.

Fingers crossed everything comes back alright!

Our little guy had the same problem about a week ago. He was pucking with it as well. We ended up having to bring him to the vet as he wouldn't drink any water or any other liquids (which was strange for him) The vet gave him a shot and special food for stomach upset.
    It worked for a while, but now he is back to having very runny poops.. Our vet sent of a sample to be tested just to rule out bad things.

Fingers crossed everything comes back alright!

Aw, that's awful! :( I'm lucky mine didn't vomit and they were eating/drinking fine. But their rear ends must have been on fire with all the pooping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Is there some bug going around??! My younger dog had a couple days of vomiting - brought him to vet on monday, got anti-nausea shot - ok that evening. Friday he was off colour/off his food again, then fine yesterday. (We're pretty rural so he hasnt been in touch with other dogs this week) This week is chicken/rice week :D so hasnt been eating anything upsetting ... odd...

aonb wrote: »
    Is there some bug going around??! My younger dog had a couple days of vomiting - brought him to vet on monday, got anti-nausea shot - ok that evening. Friday he was off colour/off his food again, then fine yesterday. (We're pretty rural so he hasnt been in touch with other dogs this week) This week is chicken/rice week :D so hasnt been eating anything upsetting ... odd...

It seems like it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement