Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why continued eFibre delays for Claregalway?

Options
  • 30-06-2014 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

Why does Eircom's Fibre Rollout for Claregalway continue to slip.

This is getting almost comical now, it's like a carrot on a string, they keep putting the date out there and when it gets closer to the date, it moves again. At this stage I've lost track how many times they've moved the date for Claregalway, but we had several "promise dates last year that are long gone and then late last year it was January-14, then it moved to April, then June and they had me with June, since the website still said June at the beginning of June, but now I just checked today and they now have it listed as September. I can't take it any longer. At this rate, I'm sure come September it will be pushed off again and again.

I'm sure Eircom will give me their standard answer YMMV and "these dates are just a guideline", but come on, this is getting ridiculous!! 

• First off, if you can't do it, set realistic goals you can meet! Why do you continue to tease customers with unrealistic expectations you are unable to meet?
    • Why don't you communicate to your customers about the delays? I have to regularly check the Fibre map only to be disappointed that the dates have slipped yet again! 
    • Can someone tell me why the dates for my area continue to slip? Is it a technical problem in the area or is it because we have been de-prioritised yet again? Is there any method to Eircom's madness (I doubt it) when it comes to their efibre scheduling priorities? There seem to many less populated ares that already have efibre and I would have assumed the fibre would be going along a route, but to the south of Claregalway is Galway and Oranmore, both which has had efibre for some time now and to the north Tuam also has efiber. This doesn't seem logical.
    • If I am in a low-priority area, why were we initially given much earlier dates, why not just say f-u, you're at the bottom of the list, rather than play these games where a date is given and you continue to postpone the date.
    • To make matters worse, over the past 8 months our broadband speeds have dropped significantly from around 5Mbps to less than 1Mbps, I don't know if this is due to contention or because we are getting squeezed out due to our neighboring areas that now have efibre.

Please, September is far too long to wait, considering how long we have waited and all the broken promises so far and if September is the best you can do, please do not let this slip anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

SeamusFX wrote: »
    Why does Eircom's Fibre Rollout for Claregalway continue to slip.

This is getting almost comical now, it's like a carrot on a string, they keep putting the date out there and when it gets closer to the date, it moves again. At this stage I've lost track how many times they've moved the date for Claregalway, but we had several "promise dates last year that are long gone and then late last year it was January-14, then it moved to April, then June and they had me with June, since the website still said June at the beginning of June, but now I just checked today and they now have it listed as September. I can't take it any longer. At this rate, I'm sure come September it will be pushed off again and again.

I'm sure Eircom will give me their standard answer YMMV and "these dates are just a guideline", but come on, this is getting ridiculous!! 

• First off, if you can't do it, set realistic goals you can meet! Why do you continue to tease customers with unrealistic expectations you are unable to meet?
    • Why don't you communicate to your customers about the delays? I have to regularly check the Fibre map only to be disappointed that the dates have slipped yet again! 
    • Can someone tell me why the dates for my area continue to slip? Is it a technical problem in the area or is it because we have been de-prioritised yet again? Is there any method to Eircom's madness (I doubt it) when it comes to their efibre scheduling priorities? There seem to many less populated ares that already have efibre and I would have assumed the fibre would be going along a route, but to the south of Claregalway is Galway and Oranmore, both which has had efibre for some time now and to the north Tuam also has efiber. This doesn't seem logical.
    • If I am in a low-priority area, why were we initially given much earlier dates, why not just say f-u, you're at the bottom of the list, rather than play these games where a date is given and you continue to postpone the date.
    • To make matters worse, over the past 8 months our broadband speeds have dropped significantly from around 5Mbps to less than 1Mbps, I don't know if this is due to contention or because we are getting squeezed out due to our neighboring areas that now have efibre.

Please, September is far too long to wait, considering how long we have waited and all the broken promises so far and if September is the best you can do, please do not let this slip anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [*]

Hi SeamusFX

Apologies for any inconvenience this is causing you however the dates are for indicative purposes only and a launch date cannot be promised or agreed. 

There can be a number of unforeseen circumstances which can create delays - Unfortunately we cannot guarantee you that no further delays will occur nor will we be able to offer reasons for delays as this would involve detailing and disusing infrastructural detail which lies both beyond our reach and remains confidential to eircoms networking and operational divisions.

If you are experiencing speed issues it's best to contact technical support via Webchat here [font=Calibri","sans-serif]: http://www.eircom.net/about/contact/[/font] or by calling 1890260260.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

Hello Alan,

Thanks for the reply and I can understand why you [font=arial, sans-serif]cannot guarantee that no further delays will occur, but I can't understand why you can't offer any reasons for the delays as this is hardly top secret infrastructural confidential information.[/font]

Hello Alan,

Thanks for the reply and I can understand why you [font=arial, sans-serif]cannot guarantee that no further delays will occur, but I can't understand why you can't offer any reasons for the delays as this is hardly top secret infrastructural confidential information.[/font]

Hi SeamusFX

I’m sorry I can’t offer better news but as I advised we are unable to offer reasons for delays.

Al

Great customer service!

Great customer service!
    Hi SeamusFX

Again, apologies for any inconvenience this causes - as I have advised the information you require about eircoms network and operational delays are not available and such information is simply not available to me to share.

Al

• Advertisement

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your reply, but I'd like to know why you can't share the information about the delays. This shouldn't e TOP secret, unless it involves wire taps for NSAI or GSOC. Plus I'm not talking about a 1-2 month delay, but a delay of over 2 years.

I know many of these installs are handled by contractors, but every project should be managed by someone and that's the one that is paying the bills - Eircom and they should communicate any schedule changes to the real people who are paying the bills, their customers. That's how it works in every other business operation in the world!!!! But obviously not in Eircom.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your reply, but I'd like to know why you can't share the information about the delays. This shouldn't e TOP secret, unless it involves wire taps for NSAI or GSOC. Plus I'm not talking about a 1-2 month delay, but a delay of over 2 years.

I know many of these installs are handled by contractors, but every project should be managed by someone and that's the one that is paying the bills - Eircom and they should communicate any schedule changes to the real people who are paying the bills, their customers. That's how it works in every other business operation in the world!!!! But obviously not in Eircom.
    Hi SeamusFX

I willl not unable to advise you on reasoning behind eircoms operational proceedures and as I have advised above we will be unable to offer technical details of what could be causing delays of efibre reaching your area.

Al

Hi Alan,

Hi SeamusFX

I willl not unable to advise you on reasoning behind eircoms operational proceedures and as I have advised above we will be unable to offer technical details of what could be causing delays of efibre reaching your area.

Al
    Thanks, but as i said before, not communicating delays and then not communicating why significantly delayed on multiple occasions, is not very good customer service!

Hi Alan,

Hi SeamusFX

Al
    Thanks, but as i said before, not communicating delays and then not communicating why significantly delayed on multiple occasions, is not very good customer service!
    Hi SeamusFX

I understand your feelings on this and I'll make sure your feedback reaches operations.

Thanks

Al

Hi Alan,

Hi SeamusFX

Al
    Hi SeamusFX

I understand your feelings on this and I'll make sure your feedback reaches operations.

Thanks

Al
    I just checked the map and it appears the roll-out date has been pushed out again for Claregalway, now it's shifted to October and the mystery for all the schedule changes still remains a mystery. What's the point of even having a schedule, as the dates seem to change so frequently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

Agree with you 100% SeamusFX. These answers are not good enough for customers paying their wages. 

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

You're also assuming that whenever the service does eventually go live for your area, that you'll be able to get it anyway.

If you're direct fed it means nothing at all.

You're also assuming that whenever the service does eventually go live for your area, that you'll be able to get it anyway.

Correct, but it has be in your area first, just one step at a time, but  unfortunately Eircom can't even get passed the first step for us, despite several broken promises.

Correct, but it has be in your area first, just one step at a time, but  unfortunately Eircom can't even get passed the first step for us, despite several broken promises.
    Hi SeamusFX

Yes I see it has been delayed again - I'm aware of how disappointing this can be, apologies for this Seamus. As I previously advised the dates are provisional and should not be treated as a promise.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 18 AlexjReilly

I'm living in Castleknock Dublin, and I've experienced the exact same dodging that you seem to have, to be honest I'm glad I'm not the only one. Our date was first posted at September... 2013... In fact eircom called us in June 2013 to say we would be availing of the new service. Since then we call to ask why we're still waiting, the script says eFibre is available in our area but our address isn't activated which is nearly as frustrating. 

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

I am guessing with the esb 50 towns list now published eircom are giving the two fingers to the towns not on the list and not already vdsl'd. They probaby have decided to blanket bomb the 50 towns before esb arrive. Slash and burn.

[font=Arial, sans-serif]So Eircom has moved the carrot yet again!! I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but severely disappointed. As I previously stated, we had several "promise dates" last year that are long gone and then late last year it was January-14, then it moved to April, then June and they had me with June, since the website still said June at the beginning of June, when I started this post on 30-June-14 it was September, then it moved to October and I just checked today and it now says Apr-Jun '15. This is insane!!! How can a roll-out have so many date changes, where at this stage it's not a roll-out at all, just FUBAR! All this with no communication at all to the customers. [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]I know the dates are provisional, but even provisional dates should have some accuracy and if things are going to move this much, why even give a completely misleading date in the first place?
    [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]I don't believe the delays are technical, just have our priorities push out, since Eircom seems more concerned to prioritise the areas that are competing with ESB. Instead of the two working together to try and improve country-wide coverage, Eircom is focusing on the ESB areas. This is one of the many reasons why Eircom never should have been sold off in the first place and the portion of the company responsible for the infrastructure should have no connection to their commercial sales.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

They keep doing the same in my area they are really getting on my nerves now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 AlexjReilly

Same in my area, in the very centre of Dublin no less! Leaving them for Sky at the end of the week, they provide the same service/speed but just done with Eircom leading people us on for nearly over a year... They don't deserve the customers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

I'm glad we are with Vodafone and not Eircom they don't deserve the money for their overpriced service and lies to customers about the fibre roll out.

The ESB/Vodafone fibre sounds more promising to me. Vodafone recently braught 4G to my area like they promised they would they are the only one to provide these services so I'm hoping that their new fibre reaches here before eircoms VDSL does because at this rate Eircom keep delaying fibre here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,900 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

They don't have it available to all of tuam either even though the map says it is :(

Mars Bar wrote: »
    They don't have it available to all of tuam either even though the map says it is  :(
    Ok, after an almost endless string of missed and pushed out dates we were long awaiting October-2014 as the new roll-out date for efibre in Claregalway and even a few days ago at the start of October it was still listed as on track for the October-2014, but after checking and now it's listed as December-2014, why am I not surprised! But despite not being surprised, I am very disappointed and very angry, since the roll-out doesn't even mean you'll get eFibre at all, let alone in the coming weeks or months after the official completion of the area. I was suspicious, since I have seen very little Eircom activity in the area. I know there are many factors at play here, but how could any one get a project plan sooo Wrong! The amount of missed promises just makes any of the dates on the official Eircom Fibre Map completely laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

They don't have it available to all of tuam either even though the map says it is  :(
    Ok, after an almost endless string of missed and pushed out dates we were long awaiting October-2014 as the new roll-out date for efibre in Claregalway and even a few days ago at the start of October it was still listed as on track for the October-2014, but after checking and now it's listed as December-2014, why am I not surprised! But despite not being surprised, I am very disappointed and very angry, since the roll-out doesn't even mean you'll get eFibre at all, let alone in the coming weeks or months after the official completion of the area. I was suspicious, since I have seen very little Eircom activity in the area. I know there are many factors at play here, but how could any one get a project plan sooo Wrong! The amount of missed promises just makes any of the dates on the official Eircom Fibre Map completely laughable.
    Hi SeamusFX

I do agree with a lot of the points you have made. Other posters here and on other forums have pointed out inconsistencies in the efibre map also and we have brought these to the attention of Online operations.

The efibre map on the website does only advise of the commencement of roll-out of efibre in an area and does not mean that all addresses will be able to receive the service at once, nor is it guaranteed to all address in a 'green - shaded area' for instance.

Despite the inconsistencies and date changes on the efibre map, using your Phone number to Check Availability is still the best way to periodically check if efibre is available as once your address is enabled and it is ready to order you will receive a message along the lines-

'Congratulations your address is efibre enabled- Discover the maximum speed you can receive'

thanks
    Colm

Hi SeamusFX

I do agree with a lot of the points you have made. Other posters here and on other forums have pointed out inconsistencies in the efibre map also and we have brought these to the attention of Online operations.

The efibre map on the website does only advise of the commencement of roll-out of efibre in an area and does not mean that all addresses will be able to receive the service at once, nor is it guaranteed to all address in a 'green - shaded area' for instance.

Despite the inconsistencies and date changes on the efibre map, using your Phone number to Check Availability is still the best way to periodically check if efibre is available as once your address is enabled and it is ready to order you will receive a message along the lines-

'Congratulations your address is efibre enabled- Discover the maximum speed you can receive'

thanks
    Colm
    Hi Colm,

Thanks for your post and thanks for agreeing with a lot of my points, but you really should have agreed with all of my points, since it's 100% accurate!

Sorry for sounding frustrated, but I just interpreted you saying "I do agree with a lot of the points you have made" as being very negative, implying a portion of my post was inaccurate, which it isn't. I do understand that the efibre map on the website only advises of the commencement of the roll-out of efibre in an area and does not mean that all addresses will be able to receive the service at once and that's what makes this situation sooo Frustrating, since the roll-out has been postponed and delayed some many times, that I'm afraid if and when this mythical roll-out date ever appears, it could be months or even an eternity before I will ever see efibre.

Hello Again Colm,

What's interesting is, when I use your  Check Availability link it states: "Good news! eFibre will be available in your area:Oct-14", although the map now states that the new roll-out for the area is  December-2014 and as i said before I haven't seen any activity in the area lately, so I suspect the  Check Availability link isn't as recently updated as the map.

Hello Again!
    Now when when I use your  Check Availability link it states: [font=FSAlbert-Light, 'Arial Light']Good news! eFibre will be available in your area:[/font][font=FSAlbert-Light, 'Arial Light']Dec-14, but when I use the http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map link it says: [/font][font=FSAlbert-Light, 'Arial Light']Your home is not in an eFibre area and the map at: [/font][font=FSAlbert-Light, Arial Light]http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/ shows eFibre is launching in Dec-14, eve though it's now Jan-15.[/font]

[font=FSAlbert-Light, Arial Light]But this doesn't bother me too much, since I knew it wouldn't change over night, but it has changed almost overnight!! My service which used to be about 3MB is now at many times almost completely gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/font]

[font=FSAlbert-Light, Arial Light]I've had on average about 3MB for about the past 6 years and now that we are supposed to be on the verge of efibre, it's fallen off completely and over the past few weeks there's been no service at all during most peak times. How is it that 2015 is worse than 2006? Is this the future of broadband in Ireland? This is just sad! [/font]

Hello Again!
    Now when when I use your  Check Availability link it states: [font=FSAlbert-Light, 'Arial Light']Good news! eFibre will be available in your area:[/font][font=FSAlbert-Light, 'Arial Light']Dec-14, but when I use the http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map link it says: [/font][font=FSAlbert-Light, 'Arial Light']Your home is not in an eFibre area and the map at: [/font][font=FSAlbert-Light, Arial Light]http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/ shows eFibre is launching in Dec-14, eve though it's now Jan-15.[/font]

[font=FSAlbert-Light, Arial Light]But this doesn't bother me too much, since I knew it wouldn't change over night, but it has changed almost overnight!! My service which used to be about 3MB is now at many times almost completely gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/font]

[font=FSAlbert-Light, Arial Light]I've had on average about 3MB for about the past 6 years and now that we are supposed to be on the verge of efibre, it's fallen off completely and over the past few weeks there's been no service at all during most peak times. How is it that 2015 is worse than 2006? Is this the future of broadband in Ireland? This is just sad! [/font]
    Hi SeamusFX

I'm sorry to hear of the speed issues & conflicting info surrounding efibre. If you would like to PM me your land line number I'll look in to both issues further for you.

Thanks
    Al

Hello Again!

Hi SeamusFX

I'm sorry to hear of the speed issues & conflicting info surrounding efibre. If you would like to PM me your land line number I'll look in to both issues further for you.

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Alan,

Thanks for the offer. I have since called up and they did a test on my line and detected a fault and the fault was also detected when I had the modem disconnected, so they at least ruled out the modem/router. I'm still a little confused, since if there is a fault on the line, why is it only showing up in the afternoon evening? Unless the fault is somehow connected to traffic. Anyway, they said it could be a few days before someone can get out to check the line, so i don't want to have 2 queries for the same issue, so I'll hold off and if they still can't sort it out, I'll PM you my details.

Also the map http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map now indicates that efibre is now finally available in the entire Claregalway area, although when I check my phone number and that of many others in the area, including addresses just beside the new cabinet, it still indicates it's still not yet available. So at least it appears the cabinet is now live, although we know it could take several months before it's rolled out. I'm also concerned that I'm probably at least 1.5km from the cabinets, so although the new updated map clearly indicates efibre is available in my area, this may not be the case even after the full rollout and they fix the fault. :mad:

Hello Again!

Hi SeamusFX

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Alan,

Thanks for the offer. I have since called up and they did a test on my line and detected a fault and the fault was also detected when I had the modem disconnected, so they at least ruled out the modem/router. I'm still a little confused, since if there is a fault on the line, why is it only showing up in the afternoon evening? Unless the fault is somehow connected to traffic. Anyway, they said it could be a few days before someone can get out to check the line, so i don't want to have 2 queries for the same issue, so I'll hold off and if they still can't sort it out, I'll PM you my details.

Also the map http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map now indicates that efibre is now finally available in the entire Claregalway area, although when I check my phone number and that of many others in the area, including addresses just beside the new cabinet, it still indicates it's still not yet available. So at least it appears the cabinet is now live, although we know it could take several months before it's rolled out. I'm also concerned that I'm probably at least 1.5km from the cabinets, so although the new updated map clearly indicates efibre is available in my area, this may not be the case even after the full rollout and they fix the fault. :mad:
    Hi SeamusFX

I'm glad technical support have escalated this for you.

I can confirm that the map does not intend to suggest that all of Claregaway can avail of efibre. As Colm previously touched on it's best to check the individual line checker located beside the map. I'm aware that the shaded green area can lead to indicating that the whole area is live however there is a message located above the map advising:

"Our interactive map shows a quick guide to the areas where eFibre is rolling out. Click on a shaded area below. Please note: this map is for illustrative purposes only and not all homes within the eFibre area can avail of the service. To determine if eFibre is available at your home, please enter your home phone number or address into our interactive tool"

Do feel free to PM me your land line number as I'll be able to offer you the best indication & information regarding efibre availability to it.

Thanks
    AL

the eFibre area can avail of the service. To determine if eFibre is available at your home, please enter your home phone number or address into our interactive tool"

• Advertisement

Thank you for the clarification, although the map is incredible misleading, especially for an area as large as Claregalway, since the green area for Claregalway on the map that indicates "efibre is now available in your area" is a very large area of about 56 sq km, yet, there only appears to be one cab at the centre of this large area, certainly one cab couldn't support such a large area? So why would Eircom what to mislead their customers by posting such a deceptive map, despite the disclaimer in small print? Even if they reduced the size of the green Claregalway mapped area, but this more honest strategy would leave large gaps in the roll-out areas.

Advertisement