Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muzzle?

• 30-06-2014 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hello all

I've been lucky enough to adopt a lovely puppy who is a joy to the whole household. He was abandoned on a friend of a friend's doorstep so he ended up with me. I took him to the vet for a checkup and vaccinations and some treatment for a digestive system problem, and now he's very healthy and very nearly housetrained. He is sweet and gentle, gets on well with the other dogs, and once I manage to persuade him not to chew my shoes, all will be well. :)

The only fly in the ointment is that someone told me that dogs of his type have to be muzzled in public. The vet thinks he's a Staffie cross and he's about nine months old, but didn't mention anything about muzzles. Is this true? What minimum kind of muzzle do I have to use, if I have to use one? Seems a bit pointless as he's more likely to lick someone than bite them and he's always walked on a lead. And does the law or regulation or whatever not kick in until he's a full grown dog rather than a puppy?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yes I believe a staffie cross still has to abide these rules:

http://www.dspca.ie/index.jsp?p=153&n=216&a=80

No lead longer than 6 foot etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Unfortunately op, yes, all dogs of the breeds listed in the above link, and crosses of them, are meant to be muzzled in public regardless of age :-(
    Also they must always be on a lead not exceeding 6 foot in length, and with a person 16+ years of age who is capable of controlling the dog, when out in public.
    There are some exemptions for working dogs, but they do not apply to pet dogs.
    You'll need an appropriate muzzle, flatter-faced breeds need a big, wide, square-shaped one. The only type that allows the dog to breathe and pant properly, as well as drink, and that can be deemed effective at preventing bites (I know, I know... The chances of it with a harmless puppy :-() is a basket-style muzzle made of plastic or metal... The most popular brand is Baskerville. Do not use the tubular fabric ones, they do not allow the dog to pant properly.
    The pup needs to be gradually, slowly acclimatised to wearing one, using treats and lots of praise to help him accept it.
    Having said all of that... Compliance with this law is mixed... Some wardens enforce it more than others, and some guards also enforce it.
    I'm sure others will post here that they've never been stopped, others who have been but put the muzzle on at the warden's request, and others who have been prosecuted (the latest prosecution up here was only two weeks ago... But in fairness, the owner had been pushing his luck for a long, long time).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Can you post a picture up, the vet thinks he's a staffie cross, but maybe he's not? as others have said, Staffies and crosses are covered by the Restricted Breed legislation, but, if he doesn't obviously look like one, he may not be one, so won't have to comply. However, as DBB suggests, I would get him used to a muzzle, just in case a warden ever does insist on it, then at least you won't be rushing to do it.

Advertisement