Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi 4 man Tent

Options
  • 30-06-2014 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Hi, I see there's a tent in aldi for €89.99 for 4 man tent, does anyone have any reviews on it? or know of any other website that do tents not too expensive... Cheers! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Amazon have Vango tents. The reviews are pretty good on the site. I am thinking of buying a 2 man tent and would probably go for the Vango 250 as it is fairly well rated.
    Aldi's stuff is generally pretty good. Halfords also have tents. Not sure about the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

It's huge to ok of you are camping out of your car but I wouldn't want to carry it far. It also looks like there is a lot to setting it up.

I've a vango's 4 man tent and I find it great it's about 10 years old but I've also upgraded to a camper van so don't use it as much still had it out this weekend and it was fine.

What about a tent to be carried when hiking?
    The Vango 250 is 4.5kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

The Vango 250 is 4.5kg.

That's heavy for hiking. Take a look here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

The Vango 250 is 4.5kg.

You can always divide it up between two people. By the way worth taking a look at argos they have a sale on at the moment

• Advertisement

That's heavy for hiking. Take a look here.

That one is quite expensive at £220.
    Also using your walking pole to hold up the tent - would it be likely to fall down in any bit of wind? Would the pole need to be drivrn/pushed into the ground?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

This one is available on Amazon for small money and Coleman make excellent tents.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-Weekend-Person-Tent-Blue/dp/B0047T69QE

That one is quite expensive at £220.
    Also using your walking pole to hold up the tent - would it be likely to fall down in any bit of wind? Would the pole need to be drivrn/pushed into the ground?

I don't know about the yoke with the hiking pole, but the Vaude Hogan is supposed to be excellent, even though it isn't cheap.

Lidl were selling a light two man tent a few months back for about €20. No idea if it was any good but I think it had a three year guarantee, taped seams, and it was advertised as having a half decent hydrostatic head. I think that it had fibreglass poles so not one for very high winds. About 2kg in weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I have the Vango Beta 250. It's a great tent but not for hiking with it. It's just too bulky. Better off getting a good lightweight tent if you want to go trekking with it. If for pitching and staying it's an excellent tent. Big porch to leave gear in - even though the porch isn't sewn in it's stays perfectly dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭emul

I purchased the Aldi Large 4 man tent that I think the OP is referring too. I'm returning it today. Couple of issues

1. The doors have no velcro fastening or zip along the baseline leaving you to tuck in the bottom as best you can. I could only see wind / rain coming in :(

2. The bedroom area is attached to the ground sheet by way of velcro, the groundsheet I assume designed to pull the bedroom area down. Didn't work successfully.

3. The bedroom area should be pegged down separately to the outer-fly, peg positions weren't in the most comfortable position.

I was looking to see if this was a good move from a Vango Beta 450 and while it has some good features it was the above details that put me off it in the end.

Eoin

• Advertisement

The Vango 250 tent -

Is there a good groundsheet in it and is it very waterproof? Not an expert and the info on it has different details on different parts.

Also would you need some type of inflatable mat and pillow?

Thanks

Is there a good groundsheet in it
    See here.
    Polyethylene 10,000HH inner & porch groundsheets
    The HH or Hydrostatic Head is the expression of water resistance. A figure of 10,000 is good.

Link
    Rain resistance is measured and expressed as hydrostatic head in millimetres (mm). This indicates the pressure of water needed to penetrate a fabric. Heavy or wind-driven rain has a higher pressure than light rain. Standing on a groundsheet increases the pressure on any water underneath. Fabric with a hydrostatic head rating of 1000 mm or less is best regarded as shower resistant, with 1500 mm being usually suitable for summer camping. Tents for year-round use generally have at least 2000 mm; expedition tents intended for extreme conditions are often rated at 3000 mm. Where quoted, groundsheets may be rated for 5000 mm or more.
    is it very waterproof?
    See here:
    Protex® 3,000HH polyester.
    You'd get better spec on a better tent, but for what you're asking, it's fine.
    Also would you need some type of inflatable mat and pillow?
    Yes, see this thread for suggestions.

Advertisement