Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where do you get your Meat

• 30-06-2014 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi

Just asking where people get good quality meat at a reasonable price as eating clean becoms quite expensive.

i was getting a deal from a butcher in D8 but unfortunately the quality deteriorated after using them awhile so I went back to using my local butcher.

I was getting

26 Chicken Fillets
    1lb Turkey Mince
    Fillet Steaks
    Striploin Steaks
    Sirloin Steaks
    2lb Mince
    20 Eggs

Can anyone recommend butcher on South Side or that delivers that offer deals for buying similar to above on a weekly basis.

Also any suggestions on cheaper cuts of beef than above that I would have similar protein/fat content.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

https://www.facebook.com/pages/O-Coileain-Butchers-The-Scarlet-Heifer/497621376940051?sk=info

These lads do "protein packs" in the Square and have a couple of other branches south side.
    Quality meat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quality-Meat-Deliveries/858491987500803 Free delivery to your door for over orders over €20.

An example of a deal.

Wednesday Specials

8 Pieces of pepper Chicken
    4 Pepper Steak
    4 Chicken Fillets
    4 Pork chops
    1lb Chicken Stir Fry
    1lb Sausages
    2 Garlic Stuff Breast chicken

All for just €15

Crazy Thursday Deal
    XL Chicken
    Any Joint Pork, Bacon, Roast Beef or Corn Beef
    1lb Sausages
    1 pack of burgers
    8 Pepper Chicken pieces
    4 Pork Chops
    1 lb Chicken Stir Fry
    3 Pepper Steaks
    3 Chicken Fillets

All for just €25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭guile4582

An example of a deal.

Wednesday Specials

8 Pieces of pepper Chicken
    4 Pepper Steak
    4 Chicken Fillets
    4 Pork chops
    1lb Chicken Stir Fry
    1lb Sausages
    2 Garlic Stuff Breast chicken

All for just €15

Crazy Thursday Deal
    XL Chicken
    Any Joint Pork, Bacon, Roast Beef or Corn Beef
    1lb Sausages
    1 pack of burgers
    8 Pepper Chicken pieces
    4 Pork Chops
    1 lb Chicken Stir Fry
    3 Pepper Steaks
    3 Chicken Fillets

All for just €25[/QUOTE]

thats cool and you can order through fbook
    is it good quality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Yup it's very good quality. Yeah you order through FB just state what you want, give your address and job done, pay on delivery. So handy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

for ethical reason I don't eat caged hens eggs.
    all "protein packs" or deals I find contain them which is a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Dublin Meat Company for me.

Decent deals and lovely meat. Protein packs are available and from what I remember reading, the eggs are not from cages hens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Noxin wrote: »

Decent deals and lovely meat. Protein packs are available and from what I remember reading, the eggs are not from cages hens.

I'll check it out. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

for ethical reason I don't eat caged hens eggs.
    all "protein packs" or deals I find contain them which is a shame.

You could try and ask for a substitute of more meat products.

Also in any butchers there is no harm asking if there are any bulk deals going, they might not be advertised -or you might be able to put a large order in and come back on their delivery day -i.e. they will order more.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Man007

Cheers for replies will check out some of the suggestions soon.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Doodaas

Any of our Sydney boardies know any butchers that do deals like this in Sydney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Noxin wrote: »

Exhibit A: Chicken Breasts on the bone €1.75 each, declared as being from Cootehill Co. Cavan

http://www.dublinmeatcompany.com/chicken/breasts-on-the-bone-detail.html

Exhibit B: Skinless boneless fillets €1 each, they don't say where they're from because they're probably not Irish

http://www.dublinmeatcompany.com/chicken/10-fresh-chicken-fillets-detail.html

So be careful when buying cheap chicken fillets, they might not be Irish, very likely to be Dutch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Exhibit A: Chicken Breasts on the bone €1.75 each, declared as being from Cootehill Co. Cavan

Exhibit B: Skinless boneless fillets €1 each, they don't say where they're from because they're probably not Irish

So be careful when buying cheap chicken fillets, they might not be Irish, very likely to be Dutch.

Yup you're right. The fillets are Dutch (I think this in the only thing they source outside Ireland). They don't try to hide this and will answer any questions you have on them on their FB page.

Here's one such snippet to take what you want out of it:
    I personally think their fillets are better than what I've gotten in any shop and most other butchers.
    Could you please point me to any info on where you source your chicken? Thank you
    LikeLike · · 4

Dublin Meat Company Hi Helen. our Chicken is sourced from Western Brand and is 100% Irish. The only this we sell that's not Irish is chicken fillets which are Dutch but are class A and the same fillets that 99% of butchers sell. We also sell Irish fillet but they are alot more expensive. To confirm all other chicken is Irish. Hope this helps.
    6 December 2013 at 09:08 · Like · 1

Helen Murphy Guinane Thanks for that. You hear a lot of stuff these days about hormones being given to animals to pump them up for meat, do you know if any of this stuff is used in those farms? Sorry for all the questions, am beginning to wean baby so more concerned about what she's eating than what I eat myself! I am a big fan of your chicken it is always very tasty
    6 December 2013 at 09:10 · Like

Dublin Meat Company No I can guarantee all out chicken hasn't been pumped. We only sell class A chicken. For what it's worth I have my first baby due in Jan and it will be fed only our chicken. !!

Agree.

Traceability is a HUGE issue when buying from these companies.

I know you are still putting your trust into supermarkets but at least labels of origin are on the packets.
    I don't want chicken from Thailand or beef from South America. I want Irish free range premium products! Animals that have seen the light of day and experienced what it is like to walk on grass.

BUY IRISH :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Zamboni wrote: »
    Animals that have seen the light of day and experienced what it is like to walk on grass.

It was interesting on an episode of Food Unwrapped lately how most of the chickens preferred to go back into the shed than mooch about outside.

I'd have always thought there'd be a stampede to go outside and they'd be running around high-fiving each other outdoors.

It was interesting on an episode of Food Unwrapped lately how most of the chickens preferred to go back into the shed than mooch about outside.

I'd have always thought there'd be a stampede to go outside and they'd be running around high-fiving each other outdoors.

Thousands of generations have lived in battery - Sure they would have no idea what to do outside. Of course they are legging it back in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Dublin Meat Company Hi Helen. our Chicken is sourced from Western Brand and is 100% Irish. The only this we sell that's not Irish is chicken fillets which are Dutch but are class A and the same fillets that 99% of butchers sell. We also sell Irish fillet but they are alot more expensive. To confirm all other chicken is Irish. Hope this helps.

99%? Did they go out and do a survey? I'd say a lot of butchers would take issue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭BigProblem

is there much difference in quality between buying free range chicken fillets and non free range chicken fillets? obviously the free range cost more but for training and getting the protein in do people always buy free range cool.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

BigProblem wrote: »
    is there much difference in quality between buying free range chicken fillets and non free range chicken fillets? obviously the free range cost more but for training and getting the protein in do people always buy free range cool.png

I don't think theres a huge difference in protein but AFAIK there is a difference in the vitamins & minerals present in the meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Chickens have more than five feathers on each hand/wing Alf, ye bleedin' dzzzope... :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Chickens have more than five feathers on each hand/wing Alf, ye bleedin' dzzzope... :cool:

You're thinking of the genetically modified ones.

Advertisement