Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel insurance for hiking in the US

Options
  • 30-06-2014 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hey all,
    I'm going to be hiking the John Muir Trail in California in August and was wondering if anyone could recommend a suitable travel insurance provider/policy for such an endeavour. Any pointers you may have in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Make sure that it covers the risks arising out of activities that you intend to do.

Also check to see what is excluded. The policy may say that a helmet is required for certain activities, and the insurance company might refuse to pay out if one is not worn for those activities. I think that there is a current story about a young Irish student in the USA who was injured while cycling and the insurance company wouldn't cover his medical bills because he wasn't wearing a helmet.

You could enquire from a travel agent but I suppose that an insurance broker could have more qualifications/experience in recommending a policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭tphase

try the austrian alpine club http://aacuk.org.uk/.

used it a few years ago for a sea kayak expedition in Canada. Think it was STG£45 for membership, insurance was included. As far as I remember, the main restriction was climbing over 6000m peaks was not covered. Otherwise stuff like rescue costs, air ambulance and repatriation of bodies was covered. Similar cover to BMC insurance but at much lower cost. Of course terms and conditions may have changed since but definitely the best deal at the time

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Here's the small print on their insurance

http://aacuk.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/AWS2013.pdf

Seems fairly reasonable.

Advertisement