Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child drowns in Tyrellstown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

that is just awful. To have two children lost in the same area in such a short space of time is just tragic.

My heart and sympathies go out to all those directly affected by this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Maybe change the thread title, reads like there have been several childrens deaths in the area.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Sad news indeed.

Can I remind everyone to please show some respect on this thread, no portioning blame etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

I heard about this when I was collecting my kids from school in Tyrrelstown earlier.

So awful for his poor family. God bless them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

The man made lakes should have some type of fence around them if their in the middle of a residential area.

lods wrote: »
    The man made lakes should have some type of fence around them if their in the middle of a residential area.

I'm not being insensitive here and I apologise in advance if I do come across as such but that's a typical reaction from an Irish point of view, the nanny state protecting us from ourselves.
    This tragedy happened as the child was unsupervised (hard to blame anyone as children wander off). Why should we build fences around everything to stop access?
    We should be teaching water safety in schools from junior infants not stopping everyones access to these things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I don't know if the child was unsupervised or not nor do I think we should speculate on that, but putting fences around every bit of water is definitely not going to serve any useful purpose.

He was special needs and unfortunately slipped out an unlocked door. I know somebody who was at the scene, its very very sad. Whilst those lakes look nice, unfortunately 2 deaths is too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

The child was the son of my cousin. He managed to unlock the door with keys which were left in the lock. Unfortunately he found his way around to the pond. It took me 15 minutes to walk down to the pond earlier so it's kind a surprising that kid went that far. Devastated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Whilst those lakes look nice, unfortunately 2 deaths is too much.

No connection between the two deaths..they could just as easily have drowned in a river. Different circumstances entirely. The body of water is coincidental.

athtrasna wrote: »
    No connection between the two deaths..they could just as easily have drowned in a river. Different circumstances entirely. The body of water is coincidental.

Unfortunately having them in residential areas highly populated with kids. This is why there are life guards at pools.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,489 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

bbari wrote: »
    The child was the son of my cousin. He managed to unlock the door with keys which were left in the lock. Unfortunately he found his way around to the pond. It took me 15 minutes to walk down to the pond earlier so it's kind a surprising that kid went that far. Devastated.

I'm very sorry for your loss. It's a tragedy and it's crap that it happened.

Unfortunately having them in residential areas highly populated with kids. This is why there are life guards at pools.

Waterville Park is a separate park with gates that are only open within certain hours. It's beside a residential area but not in one. The lake is well into the park too.

Sorry to be pedantic but there's a river just a few hundred metres from Waterville Park...every bit as dangerous if not more so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

And I bet those kids thought the lake was a hundred time safer than the river because it had no under currants. Which is exactly why they need to be thought how to swim and not just to stay away from water.

January wrote: »
    And I bet those kids thought the lake was a hundred time safer than the river because it had no under currants. Which is exactly why they need to be thought how to swim and not just to stay away from water.

There's a no swimming sign up at the lake in Waterville Park, none by the river?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sid7

R.I.P. Very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Very sad news. We'd be devastated if anything happened to our little fella. Can't imagine the heartache for this family.

Advertisement